Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 17:52   #31

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: Hurricane Preparation in South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Clearly not! And nothing you have written has actually contributed to this thread, just you expressing unrelated opinions. Of course nothing is ever hurricane proof. But, as I said before, if you take the attitude that you're not going to prepare because it's pointless, then you will get what you deserve. Now please go away...
After you😁
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 20:31   #32

You call those cleats? LOL. Yeah, I'd say you're good in the cleat department. But I bet you won't be wishing for smaller ones come storm time
You'll just have to see what happens as far as the anchors and lines go. I wouldn't rule it out. Jus' cuz it's agin the law...
See what your neighbors are doing. If no one else does it, you probably don't want to be the first. But it's South Florida. And what the water cops, FWC and Coasties wish was true and what the reality is might be different things. And what are they going to do anyway? Fine you? Call you a bad boy? Make you stay after school? haul up your anchors? I doubt it.
Re the Coral Gables Waterway story, I'd like to meet the pencil necked dweeb who let a line across a canal stop him from responding to an emergency. I bet there's more to that story. And what sort of "emergency" was a cop responding to in a private canal lined with multi million dollar mansions? ALL of which are on roads?
I doubt you will see the Coasties up in the New River with a hurricane coming, or FWC, for that matter. That leaves your local county and city water cops. And i can pretty much guarantee they won't be on the water anywhere near storm time. Their boats will be on the trailers.
It's an option I would keep in mind and be ready for. If you set your anchors in the middle instead of the other side, they will barely be visible and not in anyones way.
I was a firefighter and medic in So Fl when Andrew hit. I spent the night stationed in a local shelter. And I worked down there for months afterward. Andrew was an anomaly that has never happened before or since. It's irrelevant for any practical consideration. My house was 20 miles north of Andrew's worst damage. I didn't even loose a shingle. So don't let "cats" scare you. It might be blowing a buck fifty twenty miles away, and you may may not even see 70.
Snores completely over estimates the ability of law enforcement to "lock down" anything. There are hundreds of miles of canals in So Fl and innumerable parks and boat ramps and side roads with access to them. A few hours on google earth and riding around ahead of time may find you a quick way in without using the roads. You might even be able to splash a kayak fairly close in. Even if they do close the roads.
I always have an eye out for hurricane gear on Craigslist. Long heavy lines, extra and oversized dock lines, big fenders, anchors, etc. It has come in handy.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 09:00   #33

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The good news is that except hurricane Andrew that area has experienced no hurricanes above cat 3 for a long time.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:10   #34

Boat: Hunter 45 cc

Any sudgestion ? Do I need remove dodger for herricane season ( dry storage in Cape Canaveral ) Thank in advance.
TickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:32   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes and why not take the in mast main off at the same time, its only 10 minutes work. Do they not chain the hull supports together in the yard? Since you are not going to sea why not put the liferaft down below as well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:40   #36

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickMan View Post
Any sudgestion ? Do I need remove dodger for herricane season ( dry storage in Cape Canaveral ) Thank in advance.
If you can't get to your boat to remove the dodger, and anything else loose, then you are best off removing them ahead of time. The yard is unlikely to do it for you. So if the boat is sitting on the hard in Florida while you live in the midwest, leaving the dodger is not your best choice. Frankly, if my boat was laid up somewhere, I'd strip off as much as possible anyway, and store it down below out of the harmful UV rays from the sun. You might have to scrub the deck a bit when you go back in the water, but that's much cheaper than replacing a rotted out dodger.

Regards,
David.

P.S. Nice boat :-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 13:28   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Strip the Bimini, dodger, main sail, genoa, life raft, and anything else off of the deck like sheets and control lines and store it all down below. This accomplishes two things. It reduces windage and it reduces weathering.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 13:58   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I've spent a lot of time working out the dock line arrangement but am stumped on one issue:

How to keep the dock lines from coming off the top of the pilings in the storm surge?

Yesterday at high tide with a strong SSW wind blowing the harbor water level was within 3" of over topping the dock. At that time the top of each piling was only 4-feet (I did measure it) above water level.

And... of much more concern to me - the boat's on deck cleats were less than 2' from the top of the pilings.

You could take a short length of chain and use multiple lag bolts to attach to piling. Then wrap around pile and shackle on line.
Old 19-07-2017, 14:01   #39

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I spoke with a sergeant with the Fort Lauderdale Marine Unit and he confirmed what you said, Phil. No lines across, or anchors in, the river. Anything obstructing traffic on the river, even after the bridges are locked down, may be removed.

Now I need plan B - fortunately I have a pair of pilings on the river side of my boat, they just won't spring me very far from the dock. Perhaps a pair of rolling strops around the pilings with a relatively short nylon line to the boat? I already have the strops - basically a piece of wire rope with rollers on it that will slide up and down the pilings - and the pilings are pretty tall.

-David
The river is not deep where you are. You could put the anchors out 1/3 into the river and upstream and down stream and still get 8-10 scope. It's not going to be as good as right angles to the beam.
Old 19-07-2017, 15:30   #40

Quote:
I will secure it to the boat with a nylon snubber to reduce shock loading.

-David

Reportedly a car tire can serve as one extremely tough snubber when set between chain and rope. I haven't tried that one myself.

You might also run a second slack line, along the bottom, from your anchor shackle to the shore as a recovery line.

A roll of shrink wrap tape applied across hatch joints and doors was, I suspect, a key to my Sandy survival with zero damage beyond line stretch.

Note: blind luck was a much bigger factor but I like to think that the taping helped.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 18:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes and why not take the in mast main off at the same time, its only 10 minutes work. Do they not chain the hull supports together in the yard? Since you are not going to sea why not put the liferaft down below as well.

Pete
Thank you very much Pete. I will do hull support tomorrow as well, this is main reason for me to drive in marina. ( This is mandatory ) but they said nothing about main sail and dodger ( this is why I'm asking ) Jib sail was removed in first day, you can't store with it. I wasn't sure also about dinghy ( this is not liferaft ) I store it just upside down on front deck. Life raft is inside hard case tied down to starboard reiling. I store my outboard inside cockpit, don't want bring is inside companion way ( to heavy 15hp Honda ) but leave it in cockpit without dodger, looks also not very good idea. This is my first herricane season storage in Florida, this is why I have so many questions. Thank for help
Old 19-07-2017, 18:16   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Strip the Bimini, dodger, main sail, genoa, life raft, and anything else off of the deck like sheets and control lines and store it all down below. This accomplishes two things. It reduces windage and it reduces weathering.
control lines ? you mean all ropes ? If I will do it, I never will put it back, since it's too many of them. But same time I worry about it, since I have lot of ropes, espesiality inside cockpit , so I need fix them somehow, I remove, like you said. ( but I really scare to remove it )
Old 19-07-2017, 19:05   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good point about control lines. I have never heard them mentioned before in all the Hurricane prep. things I have read. I viewed the West Marine youtube video on hurricane prep and they mentioned hoisting small lines using your halyards to reduce windage but there was no other mention of what to do with your lines.

Sailmonkey, do you have any examples or suggestions of what to do with the lines?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 00:08   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

TickMan,

If you have taken your headsail off the foil, you also need to secure the foil.

Using 1/2" double braid, put a rolling hitch around the foil, as high as you can reach, lead it down through a jib sheet block, and back to the cockpit. Put a medium tension on it. Coil up the line in a way that it will reach the cockpit sole, and be secured against casual undoing.

Control lines, lead to winches, medium tension, cleat off, secure the line and leave it on the cockpit sole. You need to coil it securely, and in a way it can't easily become undone if the breeze gets down in there. Also, very important, make sure the cockpit drains are clear.

Ann
Old 22-07-2017, 21:20   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

tickman-
Southern Florida really is prime real estate for a Cat4 or Cat5 storm, and the trend in climate changes today makes something big more likely every year. They haven't really been clocked by one (Matthew just grazed land at Cat4) since Hurricane Andrew, even Wilma (2005?) was just a Cat3.
FWIW, if a real Cat5 parks somewhere overnight (a slow moving storm) you'll need a GPS to find where the boatyard used to be. But short of that...it there is anything you can strip off the boat to streamline it, to give Cat4 winds less to grab at, strip if off and stow it below.
Dodger, dingy, dorades, ANY thing. I'd rather feel like a fool for wasting an extra day in the heat doing that extra work, than come back to "Dude, where's my boat?!!"
And for a hard dink, I think I'd rather put it upside down on the ground and use a couple of ground screws and some cable to secure it, off the boat. Kinda like a trailer park: The few that do use ground screws and cables, tend to still be there when the rest fly off to Kansas.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hurricane