Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 14:26   #1

Hurricane Plan - Dock Lines

What size dock lines do you have for your hurricane plan? We were just told by the insurance agent to have 14 lines that are 1.5 inch in diameter. Is this correct?

We have a 42 foot catamaran.
newsailor0193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 14:39   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Hurricane Plan - Dock Lines

That’s insane! Where do you attach 14 1.5” lines?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:17   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Spiderweb. The general rule is "more is better." I really don't think you can have too many lines securing your boat in a hurricane if you're not hauled.

If you calculate the force on your boat due to windage during a hurricane it's absolutely enormous. Suddenly 1.5" line looks pretty well suited.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:20   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I always apt for leaving my slip and staying on my mooring during big storms........
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:28   #5

Hurricane Plan - Dock Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Spiderweb. The general rule is "more is better." I really don't think you can have too many lines securing your boat in a hurricane if you're not hauled.

If you calculate the force on your boat due to windage during a hurricane it's absolutely enormous. Suddenly 1.5" line looks pretty well suited.

1.5”................where do you attach those on a typical 42’ cat. 1.5” is ship mooring line. In the right material it’s breaking strength is greater than any practical attachment point on a pleasure use vessel.

https://www.cortlandcompany.com/site...ch-sheet_3.pdf
Old 18-06-2018, 15:53   #6

Boat: Leopard 39

Your deck horn cleats would not likely accommodate such hefty lines, and you need to remember that the weak link in the chain (mooring, anchor holding strength, anchor chain, shackles, line, cleats, etc.) defines the entire system.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:00   #7

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsailor0193 View Post
What size dock lines do you have for your hurricane plan? We were just told by the insurance agent to have 14 lines that are 1.5 inch in diameter. Is this correct?

We have a 42 foot catamaran.
Hello New Sailor,
My Saba 50, went through the big Cat 4 Cyclone (Hurricane down under) that hit the Whitsundays head on in 2016. The Marina was partially destroyed, boats a jumble, and "Serenity" came through with only minor damages...

At home I use 3/4" dock lines, couple of spring lines in each direction, and yes I have two big hawsers that are about maybe 1 1/4" They are fixed, on the dock, on far side cleats on their own, sort of a last resort.

Number One rule, is get out of the way if you can. My boat and probably yours, will out sail a Cyclone as it approaches with just a heavy breeze days away. You can move faster than it. Staying means you are likely to suffer damage from EVERYONE ELSE'S POORLY TENDED BOAT THAT COME ADRIFT AND PILES UP ON YOU....

Number two is that if you are going to hunker down, you need to remove all canvas and sails or they will be destroyed.

Your Insurance Broker is a bit over the top saying 1 1/2" but what they are thinking is of the normal dock lines chaffing through. Never ask them (inexperienced) because now you have to comply or went against their advice..

I put on chaffing stainless by the cleats to minimize wear on the fibreglass. Here is a picture that shows all of these points... And my storm line, goes across the dock to a far side cleat, and the stern one goes to the piling roller guide frame... Cleats fail. My worst damage was a starboard cleat mid ships on the spring lines folded up and was partially torn out, now repaired and reinforced by the previous Owner. That is the second picture..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a16.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	172005   Click image for larger version

Name:	1a15.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	172006  

Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See these threads and videos for tips.

This is a play list I created on YouTube.
Hurricane and Tropical Storm Preparation Videos (40+)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-173800.html

Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-171970.html

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 17:03   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Been thru (2) cat 3.....14mm - 16mm is a good size. 15 lines from 15 different pilings.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 19:54   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

prepping for patricia....the only things i would do over--remove the wind gen from mizzenhead, and remove my wood and bronze ladder. i was beam to the cat 5 and intensifying winds. i also would point nose into winds, a si was the previous 2 yrs. my lines held well, i popped a distal side of port side dock cleat leaving only 4 lines to boat and one to forward piling port side. that cleat held a 50 ft hawse line. my hawse lines are min 7/8 inch. i had 8 lines securing boat to dock once completed..this is only partially complete. i took no final completion pix. was too busy.
dinghies off boat, secure to backwater dock, so wind doesnot find em new homes about 56 miles away. rain will fill em enough to keep em from flying. ye get to do a lot of pumping during and post storms of significance.
none of my 1/2 to 5/8 inch strings failed.
the lines you see between the camera and my boat were my neighbors piling lines and dock lines. he lost a forestaysail to shredding from failure to remove from roller furler.
drop both booms and lash to hull. lash all to hull. pray. hahahahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:17   #11

Boat: Pearson

Really!!!!! how do you secure a1 1/2”line to a cleat let alone two lines to a cleat? 3/4” would work 5/8” nicer for multiple lines to one cleat. I used 12 lines this summer riding out two hurricanes in a broken down marina, zero strain no breakage. I like 3 stran nylon for its stretch 9/16” . Just be aware of chafe, use rags in a pinch, leather is great. use good nylon , new england for example, not imported china nylon, altho some may be good, but not what i have seen.
Old 19-06-2018, 08:54   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Staying on a dock in a major storm is NUTS! If you have the opportunity stuff the boat in the mangroves or get on a secure mooring. The last thing you want to do is be in the middle of a crowd.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:54   #13

First ask if he was talking circumference. The standard for professionals is to always refer to the circumference and he probably thought you understood that. For normal docking I would use 3/4" diameter but might go to 1" diameter a hurricane if it was over 100-120 MPH. Note: Most non marine weather services use MPH not knots. If your cleats are too undersized for two 1" lines each I would suggest getting some better ones that are mounted with LARGE sturdy backing plates, not just some 12x6" thin pieces of aluminum or plywood. 14 is about the correct number for a 42' cat depending on the slip.
I would call him back and get some clarification after sending him pictures of the boat and slip along with the harbor with the directions (N, S, E & W) carefully labeled. You also need pictures of the fetch and GPS coordinates so he can look at a chart or topo map. You also did not state the dock construction. Talk to some people that have been there for years and go over the blueprints with the marina. Good luck -Vic
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:15   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Staying on a dock in a major storm is NUTS! If you have the opportunity stuff the boat in the mangroves or get on a secure mooring. The last thing you want to do is be in the middle of a crowd.
There are private docks....mine is a U-shaped slip, no crowd.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvictorlucas View Post
First ask if he was talking circumference. The standard for professionals is to always refer to the circumference and he probably thought you understood that. For normal docking I would use 3/4" diameter but might go to 1" diameter a hurricane if it was over 100-120 MPH. Note: Most non marine weather services use MPH not knots. If your cleats are too undersized for two 1" lines each I would suggest getting some better ones that are mounted with LARGE sturdy backing plates, not just some 12x6" thin pieces of aluminum or plywood. 14 is about the correct number for a 42' cat depending on the slip.
I would call him back and get some clarification after sending him pictures of the boat and slip along with the harbor with the directions (N, S, E & W) carefully labeled. You also need pictures of the fetch and GPS coordinates so he can look at a chart or topo map. You also did not state the dock construction. Talk to some people that have been there for years and go over the blueprints with the marina. Good luck -Vic

This is the best advice here. If the insurance agent was talking about circumference, then 14 lines of a 1/2" diameter would satisfy the requirements. However we tie up our 32' monohull with lines of 5/8" diameter.

Tags
dock, hurricane