Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 23:35   #46

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Hive to on every boat...

I wonder if the OP has any more questions?
Old 18-07-2013, 00:57   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I wonder if the OP has any more questions?
Perhaps the op never really had a question but was instead seeking validation? Seems to me like the OP has chosen to snip at anyone who didn't agree with him. But, what do I know? I'm just another silly landlubber that wastes her time dreaming.

Fair winds, calm waters and safe travel to everyone. ; )
Gypsy_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 03:02   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Rakuflames,

You've made some very good points and in particular the point of how each boat has different characteristics that need to be considered.

Just a comment about the use of your analogy. Since being an old sailing instructor I like to use proper terminology. When you said third sail it invoked a visceral response in me so I just wanted to point that out to you so you can either internalize that or ignore it.

Freeboard acting like a sail is not actually being a sail. You can use your freeboard and bare poles to sail with but they are not truly sails.

kind regards,
Quote:
You don't have to like it, but sailing vernacular does not extend to analogies, sorry.

Explaining it as a sail helps people on my boat understand it. If anyone spent any time correcting my language they'd be off at the next port. We all need to work together on a boat, and trying to control people's analogies is, IMO, over the top.
The use of teh term "sail" in relation to effects of freeboard, or cabin top etc is in my mind , perfectly acceptable. Its common enough to hear terms like "she's sailing of the spray hood". A Sail is anything that propels the vessel in any direction in response to the wind, it does not mean a aerofoil effect is in operation.

dave
Old 18-07-2013, 11:35   #49

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The use of teh term "sail" in relation to effects of freeboard, or cabin top etc is in my mind , perfectly acceptable. Its common enough to hear terms like "she's sailing of the spray hood". A Sail is anything that propels the vessel in any direction in response to the wind, it does not mean a aerofoil effect is in operation.

dave
Ok, I understand that you don't care about what I said and I do understand that English is a messy language. Nouns can be confused with verbs. My definition of a sail is different from your definition.

When I instruct my students I'll continue to use dictionary definitions to provide a bit of clarification.
Old 18-07-2013, 12:24   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

John,

"When I instruct my students I'll continue to use dictionary definitions to provide a bit of clarification."

Yes! I surely do agree with you.

Ann
Old 18-07-2013, 12:32   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
So now I know that a motor boat only has one sail.

Coops.
Do you think that means a power cat has two sails?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 13:24   #52
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

dave

Sure. And, no analogy is perfect. But it's an easy and quick way to get people sailing with me to pay attention to that effect.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 13:25   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Ok, I understand that you don't care about what I said and I do understand that English is a messy language. Nouns can be confused with verbs. My definition of a sail is different from your definition.

When I instruct my students I'll continue to use dictionary definitions to provide a bit of clarification.

My gracious, John -- did someone tell you how to instruct your students? Slap them silly!
Old 18-07-2013, 14:25   #54

My boat apparently heaves quite well with just the staysail and no main at all. I have not done this personally, but apparently it works quite well in some conditions.

I would certainly argue that any Bermuda rig boat that can sail, can heave to quite readily. Not necessarily in all conditions, but in many.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 15:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My gracious, John -- did someone tell you how to instruct your students? Slap them silly!
Not legal any more but, of course, for you I could make an exception.
Old 18-07-2013, 16:12   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Not legal any more but, of course, for you I could make an exception.

And I've never slapped a teacher, but some are so bad at it they should be. Not referring to anyone in particular, of course.
Old 21-07-2013, 05:44   #57

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

Does hive to work also on a Catamaran or Trimaran?
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:51   #58

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Soul View Post
Perhaps the op never really had a question but was instead seeking validation? Seems to me like the OP has chosen to snip at anyone who didn't agree with him. But, what do I know? I'm just another silly landlubber that wastes her time dreaming.

Fair winds, calm waters and safe travel to everyone. ; )
Does OP mean the Original Poster or, am I wrong? I did not snip on anyone. The back and forth of this discussion has become very confusing to me and I realized, there are only a few comments really informative, the rest is back and forth. Since I am cruising and my day is basicly make the boat ready, look where to go, if Panama, Rio Dulce or wherever my desires lead me, I read the postings, find some very interesting and others I overgo very fast. But I haven´t snipped on anyone, nore made any kind of attack to somebody.

This, as far as I understand I iniciated the thread and therefore, I am the "Original Poster" (OP). Maybe, as english is not my native language, I understood this one wrong?

Anyway, I thank like all the time to each and everyone for answers, since I ALWAYS learn something.... some related to the issue..... some others not..... but I learn...
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 15:07   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
Does OP mean the Original Poster or, am I wrong? I did not snip on anyone. The back and forth of this discussion has become very confusing to me and I realized, there are only a few comments really informative, the rest is back and forth. Since I am cruising and my day is basicly make the boat ready, look where to go, if Panama, Rio Dulce or wherever my desires lead me, I read the postings, find some very interesting and others I overgo very fast. But I haven´t snipped on anyone, nore made any kind of attack to somebody.

This, as far as I understand I iniciated the thread and therefore, I am the "Original Poster" (OP). Maybe, as english is not my native language, I understood this one wrong?

Anyway, I thank like all the time to each and everyone for answers, since I ALWAYS learn something.... some related to the issue..... some others not..... but I learn...

No, you have not done anytying wrong here. OP does mean "original poster."
Old 23-07-2013, 12:00   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
Does hive to work also on a Catamaran or Trimaran?
I used our club Wharram Catamaran for training purposes a few sessions and could not get it to heave to. I don't know if it was just that boat, a Wharram 23, or catamarans in general.

kind regards,