Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 22:40   #61

Boat: 43 Mikelson
Re: Hit by small motor boat.

Have you ever considered that maybe the woman’s husband might own the Gel-coat repair facility[emoji848]
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 22:43   #62

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
Have you ever considered that maybe the woman’s husband might own the Gel-coat repair facility[emoji848]
Cynical, but I like it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 01:32   #63

Boat: offshore 8 meter

No the concencus is .you are anchored in bequia on a boat thats 40 years old.a bit of cosmetic damage is no big deal.count your blessings..its a beautifull ancorage.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 04:35   #64

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
I remember encountering an American tour group alighting from their tour bus in Napoli a few years ago, it was an embarrassment to me. If you speak louder, you'll be more understandable sort of thing. Most Americans have never set foot outside the country.....it's not their fault that that they have bought into the nationalistic idea of American exceptionalism, what is astounding is the fervor with which they embrace it. A Viet Minh political officer couldn't do a better job.
You have a problem with Viet Minh officials? I’ve always found them to be exceptionally polite. Granted they may be proud of their fellow Viet, badge it nationalism if you will, but after a millenia of fighting off invaders and building a unique culture, they IMHO have a right to feel that way. East Coast arrogance and superiority by belittling others disgusts me
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 04:51   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Can't resist weighing in one last time on this.

Seems like the boat driver is a repeat offender and at the very least a discussion with her and her boss is indicated, with an emphasis on the potential negative impact on the business reputation.

However as someone so aptly put it, you can't get blood out of a turnip and you are dealing with local people on their home turf so very unlikely the OP will recover anything more than an apology.

And, as has been pointed out by myself and others, gel coat repair ain't rocket science and ain't expensive. I got one of these to fix some pretty big dings in my runabout and first time the repair came out more than good enough. $42.99 from Defender. Might need two for a really large gouge.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...59992&id=16037
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 04:57   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

That's why so many are scared of Marigot and Phillipsburg for example after dark.

You meant Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 05:23   #67

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail365 View Post
This is not meant to be a direction to the OP but a musing brought on by this heated thread.

The karma bank is pretty impressive, especially how a few handfuls of change tossed into the sea of life ripple and expand across people and time.
When I was a younger lad, low on cash but full of adventure I dinged the anchor pulpit of a very expensive boat in a tight space in high winds. No one was aboard but we stayed to let the owners know about the damage. We exchanged information and I offered to pay. Later we brought over some bottles of wine and ended up having some great conversation and watched the blue angels fly with some very cool people. I waited for a call and a bill but it never came.

I've thought of this experience often as my belongings have taken on various damage in fender benders, etc, and have turned the other cheek. I've had the courtesy returned, too, and those people probably had similar experiences.

Kindness and generosity are very powerful weapons in a challenging world, wield them!
Well sure that’s all well and good but enabling the young lady to continue her reign of boat crashing is irresponsible. Your actions were responsible.
I hope you understand the difference of outcome . Karmah or no karmah.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 05:34   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hit by small motor boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
You meant Phillipsburg, New Jersey
And that one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 07:01   #69

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Having read all the posts, it appears that this lady's actions and collisions are not an isolated, one time accident, but are instead a repeated pattern of crashing into boats, either out of irresponsibility, carelessness, stupidity, design, or the dislike of boaters.

If this is the case, she needs to be stopped, one way or another. Her opportunity for forgiveness has passed, and serious action needs to be taken against her and the owner of the business sending her forth.

Damage caused by deliberate or irresponsible actions cannot be tolerated.

My earlier post proposed forgiveness, but further reading of this thread has caused me to change my mind.

Would it help to make the business owner aware of this discussion?
How about an advertised boycott of the business and its advertisers?
Just wondering.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 07:44   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Well sure that’s all well and good but enabling the young lady to continue her reign of boat crashing is irresponsible. . .. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Having read all the posts, it appears that this lady's actions and collisions are not an isolated, one time accident, but are instead a repeated pattern of crashing into boats, either out of irresponsibility, carelessness, stupidity, design, or the dislike of boaters.

If this is the case, she needs to be stopped, one way or another. Her opportunity for forgiveness has passed, and serious action needs to be taken against her and the owner of the business sending her forth.

Damage caused by deliberate or irresponsible actions cannot be tolerated.

. . .

So you guys are going to spend your cruising time, making sure to teach the young lady a lesson, so she's not "enabled", so making sure she's "stopped"?

Sheez. I don't know about you, but that's not the sort of activity, I go cruising for. Had enough of that on land to last me a lifetime.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 07:48   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hit by small motor boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So you guys are going to spend your cruising time, making sure to teach the young lady a lesson, so she's not "enabled", so making sure she's "stopped"?

Sheez. I don't know about you, but that's not the sort of activity, I go cruising for. Had enough of that on land to last me a lifetime.
If she's got a cute Mom I'll be happy to show her some moves for coming alongside..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 08:02   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Hey....You have fun your way, and I will have fun my way.

Some people collect stamps...
Some people collect coins.
My hobby? I sue people, and collect money. (But only when they deserve it.)
Great fun, and profitable too.
You get to interact with such interesting people.
Old 26-12-2018, 08:57   #73

Boat: Allegro 33

We have now settled compensation for the damage on my boat caused by the young lady in the small motor boat. The business owner paid me US $200.
It may cost me more to fix this but it will probably motivate the owner to keep the young lady from going around hitting other peoples boats.
I also urged them to train the young lady in handling the boat before releasing here around the anchorage.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 09:11   #74

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
We have now settled compensation for the damage on my boat caused by the young lady in the small motor boat. The business owner paid me US $200.
It may cost me more to fix this but it will probably motivate the owner to keep the young lady from going around hitting other peoples boats.
I also urged them to train the young lady in handling the boat before releasing here around the anchorage.

/Hans

Sounds like a solid outcome!

Now, here comes the haters in 3......2.....1.....
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 09:12   #75

Sounds fair and reasonable.
(Even though it will not cover your total costs and the value of your aggravation.)

Now....I am sure that the owner will tear a strip out of her, and she will be more responsible and careful in future.

Tags
boat, motor