Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 14:31   #121

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: Heaving-to myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I have a Fiorentino sea anchor offshore model and have never used it but it looks to me extremely well made.
Thank you for the super quick response! It’s reassuring to get some positive feedback. Let me know if you are ever looking to sell. Many thanks! Kind regards
Kennavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:37   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

At the start of my cruise I purchased a sea anchor or drogue, and tried it once in heavy weather, but found it to be awkward and never used it again...

However I did have need for a sea anchor on several occasions to slow my boat down when running down wind in a gale and, trying the advice of some old timers, attached a sail by the head and streamed it aft.. it created a lot of drag and did the job admirably..

I later bought two small car tires and when needed to, I streamed these aft on long anchor lines instead of the sail and these were very effective as well and stowed easily in the back lazarette, along with the stout anchor warp I dedicated for this purpose. Sooner or later you WILL run into heavy weather I preferred to run down wind before a strong gale, so I streamed my anchor warps aft, attached to the sheet winches, this was the only point of sail that I would do so. If I wanted to slow down I would head to windward and drop my main and keep a jib or staysail set and back wind it against the opulk of the rudder and hove to...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:47   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
At the start of my cruise I purchased a sea anchor or drogue, and tried it once in heavy weather, but found it to be awkward and never used it again...

However I did have need for a sea anchor on several occasions to slow my boat down when running down wind in a gale and, trying the advice of some old timers, attached a sail by the head and streamed it aft.. it created a lot of drag and did the job admirably..

I later bought two small car tires and when needed to, I streamed these aft on long anchor lines instead of the sail and these were very effective as well and stowed easily in the back lazarette, along with the stout anchor warp I dedicated for this purpose. Sooner or later you WILL run into heavy weather I preferred to run down wind before a strong gale, so I streamed my anchor warps aft, attached to the sheet winches, this was the only point of sail that I would do so. If I wanted to slow down I would head to windward and drop my main and keep a jib or staysail set and back wind it against the opulk of the rudder and hove to...
That is amazingly innovative, and very simple. Two questions; what was the speed reduction in knots by deploying the tyres?, and how did you prevent the black rubber from marking the deck?? Kind regards
Old 23-01-2021, 14:56   #124
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

The tires would slow the boat down at least 50% possibly more... and I painted the tires a cream color and used to use them as fenders when there was a blow in a slip/ marina...otherwise I kept them in a spacious lazarette in the cockpit...I believe I still may have one on board. anchor drogues or sea anchors as you describe them tend to rotate and you'll need a healthy swivel... whereas the tires are tied on both winches in one long bite from winch to winch, port and starboard, and did not swivel or rotate...I believe i discussed this in the book I wrote about my experiences in heavy weather... days of deja vu
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 15:19   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
The tires would slow the boat down at least 50% possibly more... and I painted the tires a cream color and used to use them as fenders when there was a blow in a slip/ marina...otherwise I kept them in a spacious lazarette in the cockpit...I believe I still may have one on board. anchor drogues or sea anchors as you describe them tend to rotate and you'll need a healthy swivel... whereas the tires are tied on both winches in one long bite from winch to winch, port and starboard, and did not swivel or rotate...I believe i discussed this in the book I wrote about my experiences in heavy weather... days of deja vu
Thank you. Very helpful! My copy of Heavy Weather Sailing arrived on Thursday so I’m even more excited about reading and learning from it. Best regards
Old 23-01-2021, 16:55   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennavin View Post
That is amazingly innovative, and very simple. Two questions; what was the speed reduction in knots by deploying the tyres?, and how did you prevent the black rubber from marking the deck?? Kind regards
You rope the tires. A 22 inch tire will require about 100 feet of rope. Makes an excellent fender and drogue. You can search on YouTube.
Old 23-01-2021, 16:58   #127

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Heaving-to myths.

At least one of the recent GGR boats used tyres with good results during testing. I am not sure if they ever deployed the tyres during the race though.
Old 31-01-2021, 05:51   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennavin View Post
I’ve just finished reading Storm Tactics and it’s recommended that a modern sloop should be using a para anchor earlier than older full keel and cutters. I have purchased the 2m Lalizas Professional Drogue for my 41’ sloop which is actually a sea anchor (instructions state to connect and release from bow with a bridle). However this sea anchor is a cone and not a parachute.
I’ve been looking at the Fiorentino para anchor...
Or is my yellow Lalizas Professional more than adequate??? Many thanks
I wouldn't imagine that a cone shaped drogue, which by implication is a drag device for slowing you down, would behave like a parachute of twice or three times the size (that would be recommended). Maybe it might help hold your head to windward when hove to, but personally I would be loath to attach something like that from the bow... Calling such a device a sea anchor is probably one reason that people think you will drag back and damage your rudder when anchored from a parachute.
NevilleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 10:29   #129

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
I wouldn't imagine that a cone shaped drogue, which by implication is a drag device for slowing you down, would behave like a parachute of twice or three times the size (that would be recommended). Maybe it might help hold your head to windward when hove to, but personally I would be loath to attach something like that from the bow... Calling such a device a sea anchor is probably one reason that people think you will drag back and damage your rudder when anchored from a parachute.
Yeah I think it's a good idea to separate drogues from sea anchors (para-anchors,) there is a whole different philosophy at work. This site may have been cited before, but here it is again, it may be of use to some:

https://dragdevicedb.com/

Victor was in Santa Barbara when I was there years ago with his diminutive Piver Trimaran that he sailed to Hawaii, and back. In fact if you go to the site and see his picture, that's his boat over his right shoulder. He has some experience with the topic.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote