is a custom design, a flushdeck pilothouse cutter
with a lift
keel/bulb. Her waterline and displacement
are very similar to a Van De Stadt Samoa
, though she has a shorter masthead rig with a lower SA/D (16 instead of 22) and slightly less beam. To my untrained eye, they look about the same underwater. We have a feathering Autoprop, but the aperture in the swim platform for the transom hung rudder
looks like a source of drag:
Video of a glorious reach with the rudder aperture dragging
Partly with that drag in mind I've removed the genset, a/c, dive compressor
, and a few other things in back to try and lighten her stern. Next is moving the batteries
forward, though there are other priorities right now (including playing with the kids).
The sails work
wonderfully in lighter winds (~15 knots), and in stronger winds if we crack off about 10-20 degrees. There's no flutter and we easily go 'fast' compared to my previous boat
, so I'm happy on other points of sail. But I want to figure this out, since we got this kind of boat to feel like we can do what we want: to follow our idea of fun, wherever that evolves to. So being able to beat well is important in keeping our options wide open.
I'll try sheeting the staysail inboard of the shrouds.