Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 09:14   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Handling rope and chain on the windlass?

I have a vertical manual windlass, with rope drum on one side and chain gypsy on the other. The spurling pipe is directly below the gypsy.

My anchor rode is rope and chain. So when raising anchor, I will first have to haul in on the rope, then transition to hauling in chain.

What's not clear to me is how to use the windlass to help with this. I can wrap the rope around the drum, then maintain tension so as to use the windlass drum like a winch, but the result will be rode flaked out on the deck, not down the pipe into the chain locker. And then I'd need to tie things off while I transition the chain over to the gypsy.

And it all seems complicated. Particularly given that it's a manual winch, so using it involves hauling back and forth on a lever, not just stepping on a button.

How is this usually done?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 09:22   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Handling rope and chain on the windlass?

I*have a manual windlass with the same rope winch on one side (port) and chain gypsy on stbd, overtop the hawse pipe (or whatever you call it). My answer has always been to have all-chain. The few times Iíve used the secondary rode, or extended with rooe, Iíve simply hauled in the rope by hand, feeding as I go. Unless itís blowing hard, the rope is slack, so itís not hard to do.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 09:30   #3

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I have rope rode attached to the chain. It just passes easily through the gypsy ahead of the chain and down the pipe. It lies at the bottom of the chain locker with the chain on top. Works for us
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 11:57   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I am shopping for a windlass and have the same question. I will not consider an all chain rode. I find small windlasses with a combination rope/chain gypsy, but the more powerful all have a separate drum.

It seems that if you have a second person they could feed the rope down the hawse pipe. Or, you could use a chain stop to hold the chain while you feed it down the pipe before transferring the chain to the gypsy.

What a PITA. What is the drum even fore, it you are expected to use all chain? A second anchor will all rope isn't the answer because the drum and gypsy turn together.

Anyway, my plan is to have enough chain for 90% of anchoring, and I guess I will have to deal with it for 10%. If I motor forward so the rope is slack, will a chain only gypsy feed an unloaded rope into the locker? Is there any source for a custom made "odd" gypsy for a windlass model that doesn't off a rope/chain version?
Old 22-06-2024, 12:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
I have rope rode attached to the chain. It just passes easily through the gypsy ahead of the chain and down the pipe. It lies at the bottom of the chain locker with the chain on top. Works for us
Does your gypsy grab the rope? Mine won't.
Old 22-06-2024, 12:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
What is the drum even for, it you are expected to use all chain?
Perhaps the drum in intended to be used with the snubber?
Quote:
Anyway, my plan is to have enough chain for 90% of anchoring, and I guess I will have to deal with it for 10%.
Pulling in an anchor from, say, 7-1 to 3-1 is usually easy enough to do by hand. That last bit is where the windlass becomes important.

So if you have enough chain that the last bit is all chain, that may serve.
Old 22-06-2024, 13:04   #7

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

My secondary rode is 50í of chain and 230í of rope rode. The rope drum on the windlass lines up with this and the second bow roller. There is a separate spruling (sp?) pipe that lines up also.

The chain gypsy grabs the rope section of the primary rode just fine, pulls it up, and the rope and chain nest together
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, wind, windlass