Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 13:34   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Handling high current areas, whirlpools and wave trains

KetoNomad,

If it is true that you are 6'8" tall, I do not think a Folkboat would offer you comfortable accommodation, except in the cockpit, and then only for short periods. In a way, it's like cattle class airplane seats, not comfortable for someone your size, but okay for slender Thai girls. So it would be unsuitable for your body, as well as for the job you're wanting it to do for you.

You'll want to select a boat that will safely do what you want to do, AND you will need somewhere to lie down for a nap, perhaps a bit of the cabin sole that is long enough to acccommodate a backpackers cushion, but you will want it eventually, even if it doesn't seem important yet.

Ann

Ann
Old 25-10-2016, 14:22   #17

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Thanks Trente .

Lots use the other shore to come in from the S but is a shallower side with boulders. Also, Yaculta Bank S of the ferry terminal shallows to less than 30ft way out into the channel and the current really speeds up over it. Lots of turbulence N of it on the ebb, add a strong NW wind and it's more bouncing around.

I prefer the Quadra shore.

Gowland is a great place to anchor as long as you don't mind looking at a few log booms. Also a good place to leave for Seymour Narrows when transiting N on a change to ebb because it's closer and you are on the right side of the Passage to get into the back eddies behind Maud and Yellow Islands - the preferred wait area for the Narrows. Less current to buck and you don't have to cross from the Campbell River side against a flood. Six miles from the marina can be a loooong slog against even a diminishing flood current.

I've also used it as an anchorage when coming in to beat impending nasty weather off Cape Mudge, anchor out for the night and then move over to the marina the next day - gain another night on the hook. Also helps guarantee that you can make it in on schedule - when you have to have one.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 15:37   #18

Quote: "...as you don't mind looking at a few log booms."

Ah - more grist for the mill :-)!

I LOVE log booms! They can do all kindsa nice things for you. Just as long as you know you place, and don't get in the face of the commercial boys.

Maybe we should warn visitors brave enuff to make nighttime passages in these waters that booms under way at night may be marked with nothing more that a coupla old-fashioned oil-fueled storm lanterns. Very, very difficult to see. And getting between a tug and her tow is as bad as getting between a bear sow and her cub :-)!

Sort of connected to this thread: A Texan "pusher" tug shoving a barge fulla petroleum up to Alaska just made a mess of Seaforth Passage. Ran up on a reef and holed herself. In newsreel clips it looks like the barge went over the reef and cleared it, but the draft of the pusher was deep enuff to ground her. The tug was licensed by Transport Canada to proceed without pilot, and she had, I gather, done the trip many times. So much for mod cons. Not disparaging electronics by any means, but in the waters up there NOTHING beats local knowledge and THOROUGH seamanship!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:46   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Haha yeah I saw that yesterday

I just want to know if it's possible, it's good to have options, especially if you just want to drop in to a place like Campbell River to get groceries and leave it would be nice if you could do it quickly but I guess you can't.

I defiinitely want to run that Sechelt Narrows though, just because what's beyond is nice but yeah, I will DEFINITELY be waiting for slack tide on that one, haha.
Of course it is possible. But then so is winning at the Wheel of Fortune in Las Vegas. Best to stick to time and slack water, and only then if it is the appropriate risk choice.

Tags
current