Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:54   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Gybe Preventers - What's Best?

I have a fairly big boat. Mainsail is 46 sq. meters (approx 500 sq.ft. for all you non metric types). Since I have been mostly coastal sailing up to now, I've tied a piece of rope (nylon) to the boom and then down through a block and back to the cockpit.

This functions, and actually is useful when gybing to control the gybe.

Since we'll be going blue water soon, I've thought about buying a boom brake. I've loked at several, the Dutchman system seems to be good.

But the prices! My system cost nothing since it was an old piece of rope I cut in half. These systems run usd 500+++++

Ok anyone have any experience with the Dutchman? Or another system they like better (and why?).

Thanks ahead of time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Gybe Preventers - What's Best?

I have always been a fan of a line going forward to a block. From there it returns to a winch in the cockpit. Easy, quick and cheap.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:42   #3

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

I'd go for the line and block as well - cheap, easy to use does not (usually) jam and is as good as anything else.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54   #4

use a figure 8 descender as a boom brake ... 10 bucks on Amazon ... Figure 8 Descender - Amazon.com

Ahh ... couldn't possibly work ... too cheap ... like those Ikea LED light fittings everyone assures us will fail at 14volts (but don't for me) ... anyways ... see review of the 8 at Sail-World.com : Permanently installed preventer: Another view
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:57   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I sailed a Hanse 40' with a Dutchman boom brake on it and liked it. The boat was owned by the inventor/son (Martin) of the Dutchman products... I liked it. Handsfree gybing (on purpose) was very relaxing. There is a lot of adjustability for most wind conditions. It makes a lot of sense to me for single or short handed sailing. I wouldn't necessarily want to have it for racing.

My current boat, a Freedom 39' cat ketch, had the Dutchman brake for the main. The previous owner sailed solo a lot and really liked having it and I will most likely keep it in place. I'm doubtful I would buy a new one had there not already been one in place.

My biggest complaint is the line crossing the side decks. It is a constant tripping hazard when going forward.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:01   #6

see also this comment ... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1021118
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06   #7

Boat: Hunter 39

Like jannw says - use a figure 8 descender. Simple, cheap and very effective.
Connected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41   #8

I use an old vang block set attached to the end of the boom. It is easy to pull the line tight. It also helps in low wind by keeping the boom from moving as waves pass under the boat. I do need to get another one as currently I switch if from side to side.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51   #9

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
Also check out this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ill-90276.html
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Seems like there are two different issues being discussed, so maybe some clarification. There is the issue of preventing an accidental gybe and the issue of controlling a gybe, intentional or accidental.

For preventing an accidental gybe there are a couple of very good threads discussing the techniques, but in short, attach a line to the boom and run it forward and down to both keep the boom in place and flatten the main.

Once the boom is gybing there are various ways to control the boom and ease the force of the gybe. The Dutchman is liked by many (it's what I have), a figure 8 descender sounds like a cheaper option.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:38   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

I think it is important to have your preventers easy and quick to setup. That way they get used. I prefer ones that do not require moving each time you gybe. I use two pieces of spectra line spliced to the end of boom and just less than the length of the boom. These have a loop spliced into the end and are kept on the side of the boom. I run a lines from the cockpit to turning blocks near the bow. These have a large snap hook on them. To setup the preventer you grab the line with the snap hook, walk it back to the mast end of the boom and snap it into the spectra line that is on the side of the boom. Then tighten up and secure in the cockpit. Once they are setup you can gybe back and forth without leaving the cockpit to re-setup the preventers. Easy to use, so they get used.