Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 09:39   #16

Boat: Cal-40
Re: Gulf of Mexico- Shrimp/Fishing vessels

These shrimpers are trawlers. Dont mistake this for troller. A trawler indeed has nets down but their nets are either midwater nets for fish like cod or bottom trawls. These gulf shrimp are on the bottom and these vessels use this type of gear. You have nothing to worry about with this type of gear
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:43   #17

Agree with tkeithlu. I have been operating around trawling shrimp boats for a long time and never had an issue. If you just follow the rules of the road, and don't cut in too close behind them, just as you would with any other boat, you shouldn't have a problem.
Hooksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:12   #18

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
Be aware the shrimpers also run in the upper GOM ICW.

I’ve never seen them run at night but Ihave encountered them during the day running
between Corpus Christi and Galveston. They stay
out of mid channel for obvious reasons. One of
which is the 1000’ long barges that frequent that
run between the refineries in those two ports.

Their slow speed and straight course makes it easy to
avoid them. The ICW somewhat restricts passing room and the trawl nets are pulled to each side of the boat as well as to the rear. This is usually not a problem unless you are passing one at the same time as an oncoming barge��.

Be aware that passing rules don’t always apply especially in ICW bends. Most of the boats have and will communicate with you; however, I’ve never encountered one with AIS.

Just sayin

Been cruising the ICW from Corpus to New Orleans for 40 yrs. Other than the smallish bait shrimpers, I’ve rarely seen them dragging in the ICW- just too slow and un-maneuverable in the ditch. They do drag offshore at night, sometimes in bays like Matagorda, Aransas, or Pensacola. You can hear them talking, often in Vietnamese, on ch. 68 at night, but they almost never respond on chs. 13 or 16, day or night, to anyone, tugs, tankers, whatever. I have seen them on AIS, though usually on MarineTraffic.com. They don’t want to broadcast where they’re catching shrimp.
Old 14-03-2021, 09:41   #19

The absolute best shrimp I have ever had was when I was on Marco Island way in the last century. The shrimp were fresh off a boat. Big shrimp and the best I have ever had. Have not had anything close to that since. Had good shrimp. Maybe even great shrimp but nothing compared to that Gulf shrimp.

We won't buy shrimp anymore unless it is from the US. Might make an exception for EU caught shrimp but we don't see that unless we are at IKEA.

The last Asian shrimp we bought just flat out STUNK when we opened the bag. Would not even feed it to the dog.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:46   #20

Were we go sailing, there is quite a bit of trawling going on. At least one trawler out and about most trips and often two or three. Easy enough to avoid on the ocean. Though we have laughed a few times that it would seem no matter which way we tacked or gybed we would end up on a course towards one of the trawlers.

The only time they are bit iffy is when they go through the inlet and up the ICW with their out riggers deployed. That takes up a bit of space where there ain't alot of space.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 21:26   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Most of the boats have and will communicate with you; however, I’ve never encountered one with AIS.

Just sayin[/QUOTE]

In.my experience crossing the gulf, almost all of the gulf shrimpers had AIS.
Rigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:07   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The absolute best shrimp I have ever had was when I was on Marco Island way in the last century. The shrimp were fresh off a boat. Big shrimp and the best I have ever had. Have not had anything close to that since. Had good shrimp. Maybe even great shrimp but nothing compared to that Gulf shrimp.

We won't buy shrimp anymore unless it is from the US. Might make an exception for EU caught shrimp but we don't see that unless we are at IKEA. [emoji3]

The last Asian shrimp we bought just flat out STUNK when we opened the bag. Would not even feed it to the dog.

Later,

Dan
Spent a lot of my youth along the GOM coast...fresh seafood heaven!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 15:25   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

I've been around alot of commercial types before and all appreciate a call on the radio to establish passing/crossing situations..especially when warnings from AIS as such...NOPE..the shrimp boats that I encountered during my night passage from Marco Island to the Dry Tortugas would not answer my call and I made sure my call was being heard on another (backup)marine radio. They refused to alter course though I had my deck and sails lite..and some where so aggressive they deliberatly altered course again to make another dangerous crossing situation..one in particular the "Thomas Johnson" who's name appeared on my AIS was a major erritant..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, gulf of mexico, Mexico