Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Going engineless

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Why not just attach a small outboard to the back, or am I missing something here?
+1...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:29   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Why not just attach a small outboard to the back, or am I missing something here?
Yes. you are missing something

99% of folk would agree with you (me included ), but methinks OP is in the 1% - or at least wants to be. Whether that is a good choice or not be another thing. Steerage way + a bit for fairly short distances would work depending on cruising grounds / mooring and willingness to be heavily wind dependent - and on that one a boat (and skipper ) that sails very well would be useful.

Given that only a 24 foater a large Sweep (single oar) would be my first choice. Could be jointed for easy(er) storage and serve dual purpose. Spinnaker pole. depth sounder or jury rig.......

Plenty of stuff on Google about various Sculling techniques, just not the answer for waterskiing
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:41   #18

Boat: contessa 32

I went engineless 1 yr. 18000 lbs. 35 ft.. sailboat. tried towing with line back to mother ship from hard dingy (10ft) ,it was just doable in flat water; but I was young , strong with lots of time on my hands. Main prob was the tow line will jerk with each stroke and jerking motion is no way to get a boat moving.
Then went to the dingy on the quarter with a 1.5 hp. seagull on the dingy .Worked a Trick! . Get a fender between the two boats with a line between the sterns and a spring line from the dingy bow to the quarter of mother boat. Went cruising that way; and you will be a better sailor for the experience. Once your outboard is running you must nip back to the mother ship to steer from there unless you have crew to steer ,whereupon you can stay in the dingy to adjust the throttle.I
used this method recently when engine blew on my 32 ft. contessa in L. I. sound and used a 8 hp outboard on an inflatable dingy to make port when the wind died.
The next time you see a tug with a barge in that configuration ,note how easily they can
maneuver this unwieldy load. Of course you must plan your maneuvers well in advance
since you will have no way to stop(anchor?). I've become a better diesel mechanic since then .
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:14   #19

We currently sail our modified Shield class without an engine using a single oar. She displaces about 4800 lbs. This a sketch of the setup.

I use a 9 ft two piece river rafting oar in either the port or starboard oarlock depending on the conditions, traffic etc. I stand facing forward with the tiller between my legs and can row at 1 to 1 1/2 knots for quite a long time without complain much. Luckily every stroke has you thinking about ways to sail better and in lighter winds. It is actually quite surprising how little we use it.

One nice feature that I recommend is setting you rowing station up so you can quickly store you oar when the wind fills in. Sometimes you can see the wind everywhere but where you are. So a short row is all you need

Here are a few more photos of our setup.

Cheers,
Bil

Bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Wow...what an excellent post Bil, and Blog ...welcome to the forum.

Some serious eye candy on the Blog...end very good info...would be a real loss to the community for you to stop posting on it....Second thoughts?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:19   #21

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Very nice, get an engine!
Old 14-06-2011, 21:52   #22

Re: Going Engineless

It's a shame going motorless gets such a bad rap.

We went motorless as a safety issue. Putting our boat in a position where we are solely relying on a motor because we couldn't sail for some reason or other is not something I feel comfortable with.

ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 23:04   #23

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Wow...what an excellent post Bil, and Blog ...welcome to the forum.
x2

Beautiful Boats!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 02:36   #24

My technique: Have a beer while waiting for a breeze.

Why go engineless? Because we're sailors...?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 04:02   #25

I dont know I just found a 5 hp ob on craigs list for $180 easy choice
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Yes. you are missing something

99% of folk would agree with you (me included ), but methinks OP is in the 1% - or at least wants to be. Whether that is a good choice or not be another thing. Steerage way + a bit for fairly short distances would work depending on cruising grounds / mooring and willingness to be heavily wind dependent - and on that one a boat (and skipper ) that sails very well would be useful.

Given that only a 24 foater a large Sweep (single oar) would be my first choice. Could be jointed for easy(er) storage and serve dual purpose. Spinnaker pole. depth sounder or jury rig.......

Plenty of stuff on Google about various Sculling techniques, just not the answer for waterskiing
I think David_Old_Jersey's response is about as succinct and clear a rational as I have read about choosing to sail without an engine. There are probably as many ways to get on the water and into boating as there are ways to hike and camp and backpack etc. They are just choices all with there own pluses and minus. (As an aside, I tried backpacking exactly once. Never again. I was younger and at the time couldn't possible lug the food up a mountain that I could power through).

My only problem, and fortunately it isn't too common, is when some folks need to put down other people's choices to feel comfortable about their own. For every sailing situation that is supposedly "unsafe" there is a seaman like solutions that has been used for centuries. Obviously if someone uses a motor in these situations they might not be aware or experienced in these alternatives but that doesn't mean they don't exist or are unsafe.

When I was younger I trained to be a glider pilot and I occasionally think about the similarities between powered vs gliding flight and sailing vs motor sailing. In a powered plane losing and engine is an emergency situation. Not so much in a glider. You always knew which airports you could make it to base on your altitude and wind conditions. And you were always on the lookout for places to land in an emergency.

Sailing is a lot like this and the challenge of learning the conditions and planning ahead is why I so enjoy it. I don't think my choice is better or worse, safer or more reckless. Just different. It satisfies my needs like other folks choices satisfy theirs.

Quote:
Very nice, get an engine!
Man... If I had a nickel for every get an engine joke that came my way I could afford more and even bigger sails.

Every now and again engineless sailing threads pop up on the net. Here are a few links if anyone would like some extra reading homework.

Wooden Boat Forum

SailFar Forum

Cape Dory Forum

Cheers,
Bill

Old 15-06-2011, 12:02   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

In Canada a Bluenoser is someone from Nova Scotia, and honour that references one of favourite daughters, the fishing schooner Bluenose. I think given the beauty of your sloop they will forgive you for borrowing the name
\

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 12:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway
In Canada a Bluenoser is someone from Nova Scotia, and honour that references one of favourite daughters, the fishing schooner Bluenose. I think given the beauty of your sloop they will forgive you for borrowing the name
\
I mean no disrespect. My screen name originated while I was sailing my first boat, a William J Roué designed McVay Bluenose Sloop.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3499113155.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	28569  
Old 15-06-2011, 12:51   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

There you go, Roué designed the original. Here's a bit of the story: History of the original Bluenose racing schooner from Nova Scotia. Bluenose II Company Store

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote