Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 12:39   #46

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter
Re: Getting the main sail to drop into a lazy jack's pack

Change to a gaff rig and your problem is solved!
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 13:39   #47

Hi,
After tinkering around with this issue on my mono (12m, 42 sqm main) I finished up with all (5) full length battens with Rutgerson batt cars and intermediate cars. Works like a charm. The Rutgerson stuff is cheap as chips compared to others and uses your existing track. (various car configurations available)
Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 14:34   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

barnakiel mentioned "silly spinnaker halyard escapes." We tie stopper knots in the tails of our lines that we don't want to escape. On our boat, most go through rope clutches, so the knot will stop close to hand, where it may be cut if necessary.

I let the main halyard on Jim's Yankee 30 escape in Hawaii. Don't ever want to let that happen again!

Ann
Old 22-06-2020, 17:43   #49

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
So I just installed a UK Sailmakers Lazy Cradle. It's lazy jacks with an integrated sail cover at the base. It's similar to a Mack Pack in that the sail and cradle are completely separate. Not a Doyle Stackpack. My main sail has two full battens up top and then two traditional battens lower. I'd like to be able to drop the whole thing into the bag or as close to it as possible without having to go forward and pull it down. Has anyone succeeded in doing that without installing a down haul? Yes, I'm headed directly into the wind when I release the main halyard. With two full battens and a traditional track it only comes down about half way on its own. Any suggestions?
I installed a new full batten main and the Tides Marine Strong track. My main falls pretty well, but I still need to tuck the sail into the cover some. I think once my sail is a bit crinkled and wrinkled, it may fall into the bag better...it is pretty stiff right now.

But I love the MackPack and Lazy Jacks. I installed it shortly after I bought the boat and had the sail spill all over the cockpit.

My old boat (Hunter 280) also had lazy jacks (but a regular sail cover). It also had full battens and Harkin Batt cars. That sail would drop completely onto the boom.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 21:53   #50

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...We tie stopper knots in the tails of our lines that we don't want to escape. On our boat, most go through rope clutches, so the knot will stop close to hand, where it may be cut if necessary.
Doesn't everybody?

Another little trick for lines that have a habit of trying to escape - put the stopper knot a metre / few feet from the end, so that there is still some tail left to pull on when the stopper is against the clutch, block, sheave, etc.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 08:44   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

Our tails are very very long. No way to escape then.

Meanwhile, at the other end, the one that was 5 seconds ago shackled into the headboard .....

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail