Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 22:03   #1

Genoa getting caught on tacking

I've got a 26' sailboat, and am docked on Lake Union in Seattle. I've had the boat for a little under a year, and have been mostly puttering around the lakes here to gain experience handling the boat. Want to get out and do some 2-3 week cruises up the Sound at some point.

Lake Union is pretty tight quarters, and I've been having a recurring problem where the 130 genoa on my boat gets hung up on a mast light when coming over, and ends up backwinding on a tack. It's only happened a few times over some tens of hours of sailing, but is can be perilous when it does, mostly because it takes 30 to 60s to undo.

Today I got caught in this situation in a gust and nearly got blown into a house boat. It was super embarrassing and it took me a panicky couple minutes to get the sails down while slowly getting blown between two rows of finger slips. I had about 5 folks watching me too.

I think I have to do something about this genoa situation. Can think of a few options, and looking for opinions.
  1. Get a proper jib made, and default to using that over the genoa
  2. Partially roll in the genoa before every tack
  3. Set up one of those lines with a block at the bow, to bring the sail forward on a tack

Thanks!
iasonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:25   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Genoa getting caught on tacking

The better solution is to remove the offending light, or if that's not possible then a stainless guard around it so the sail doesn't catch.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:01   #3

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Sails and sheets will get caught on virtually any projection that is unfortunately placed. Rather than change the sail, I suggest moving the light fitting. The sail will eventually remove the light itself, so it will be less expensive to do it proactively

Also, it is not clear whether you ended up among the slips because of the emergency situation, or because you were pulling in to your own berth. If it is the latter, I suggest motoring instead of sailing when anywhere near the slip. Secure the sails a half-mile out, and fire up the diesel or outboard for the last stretch.

Yes, the ancient Phoenicians didn't need no stinking engines, and they were Great Mariners, and anyone that can sail onto or off an anchor or berth is demonstrating considerable proficiency, ... but I really prefer others using their engines when docking anywhere near my boat, instead of practicing with their sails to become Great Mariners, and I aim to extend the same courtesy to others when I am docking or leaving.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The better solution is to remove the offending light, or if that's not possible then a stainless guard around it so the sail doesn't catch.
Thinking this is maybe the best solution. I think the previous owner added this fairly recently. Great light, but it's in the way.

Do folks typically go up their own masts? Wondering if I would need to buy some gear, or if I would need to hire a rigger to do it for me.
Old 24-08-2019, 23:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
Also, it is not clear whether you ended up among the slips because of the emergency situation, or because you were pulling in to your own berth. If it is the latter, I suggest motoring instead of sailing when anywhere near the slip. Secure the sails a half-mile out, and fire up the diesel or outboard for the last stretch.
100% due to the emergency. I had my engine on in a hurry, but was getting blown down wind on the tack I had been blown back to.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:28   #6

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Difficult to give advice without actually seeing what is happening.

When tacking have you tried “Backing” your Genoa for a few moments before letting your sheet go ? With some wind preasure on the sail it may fly across to the new side, as opposed to uncontrollably flapping across slowly.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:18   #7

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

You can try reefing the jib so that it clears the obstruction or shrouds. It's a pain but it keeps the sheets from grabbing on to something. Let the jib out when your done with the tack.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:31   #8

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

See OP's own suggestion #2
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:47   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

My genoa gets hung up on my radar dome if I pull too early on the soon to be active sheet when tacking. Try backwinding the sail a bit and then release the active (soon to be inactive) sheet. Wait a moment for the sail clear the mast and light via pressure from the wind, with no pressure applied via sheets. Once the sail clears then tighten up on the active sheet. In my situation it is pressure from the sheets that causes the hangup. If this fails, remove the light or install a guard that steers sail around offending object.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:51   #10

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasonas View Post
Thinking this is maybe the best solution. I think the previous owner added this fairly recently. Great light, but it's in the way.

Do folks typically go up their own masts? Wondering if I would need to buy some gear, or if I would need to hire a rigger to do it for me.
I suggest finding a friend with outdoor rock climbing experience. She or he can explain the basics of how to do it safely.

Redundancy is key. Two halyards attached at all times, led to completely separate winches and jammers. Ideally a climbing harness, with a bosun's chair providing comfort and doing the load-bearing.

Rethreaded figure-eights (climbing knots) instead of bowlines.

Depending on the fitness level of the person doing the hoisting, it may help to have an ascender or simple foot loops (looped tape) to make winching easier.

Pick a very calm day. Motion is greatly amplified up there. Avoid getting stuck in fading daylight. Nobody else should leave the cockpit, if possible. There's considerable danger from dropped tools or parts.

Have a light meal and a good glass of water before going up. It helps control anxiety, if you've never been that high in a harness.

Careful not to step on anything fragile en route.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:54   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I regularly climb the mast either using an ATN Mast Climber
ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast
or Mountain climbing gear
https://l-36.com/mast_climbing.php.
Don't agree with all his conclusions but he covers all the options in the site. Biggest disagreement is in comfort. Climbing harnesses are uncomfortable to hang in no matter how you cut it. Notice he uses the Mast Climber seat/harness in his video which I've found to be the best option for comfort and ease of use. It combines the security of a harness with the seating comfort of a bosun's chair. Have hung for an hour or more at a time with no issues with binding, circulation cut off, or any discomfort.

I'm 74, 15 lbs over weight and not in great shape so don't let people say your too old to anything to go up the mast. It does take some physical effort but go slow and enjoy the scenery as you go up. The Mast Climber paid for itself on the very first ascent when I discovered broken strands on the headstay at the mast head. Used the Mast Climber to change out the stay/furler mostly solo though I was only 67 when I did that.

I have a fear of heights earned from falling off a two story roof. Have no problem climbing solo. Feel very secure working aloft with the harness and safety lines attached.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:55   #12

Thanks for all the advice! I'll look into moving/removing the mast light, but will probably roll in the genoa on each tack in the meantime.

My boat and sailplan are here, and this is one of those boats with a larger/more powerful head sail.

I almost always back the genoa by holding a line over a winch on the sheet I let down, let the line out as the genoa flies over, and then go to the other jib sheet. In this case, the leech of the genoa gets caught on the mast light, and the genoa fills and holds air. Both jib sheets are loose at this point, and the roller jib can't really remedy the situation because there's too much tension on the sail.

What's really precarious is that if I try to maintain the tack, or go upwind, the boat ends up moving nearly dead sideways, leeward, and with a fair amount of momentum. I've got to go downwind to relieve the pressure on the genoa to remedy the situation. This time around I tried to maintain the tack, and was sent sideways with way too much momentum, and it made the situation pretty hazardous. The rudder doesn't do much when you're moving sideways ;-)
Old 25-08-2019, 14:11   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Your genoa is too big for most conditions, suitable for light airs mostly. I seldom used more than 110 %, and one needs it to be fully unwound. Part furled sails perform poorly.

Having said that, you need a baffle around your lamp so that the sail is deflected away from it. Thy are usually a circle of stainless steel that goes around under the lamp, but has a space behind it for the mainsail track.

I found that if you wish to avoid the problem. pull in your sail using the furler until the clew will clear the mast, tack, then unfurl again.

Tiresome I know--but other than a baffle or a re-cut, what else can one do?
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:01   #14

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Have a SS welder make you a SS rod cage for your light so the light shins thru and the sail moves ove easly . 3 points should be fine top and both sides short screws or pop rivits. !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:49   #15

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I regularly climb the mast either using an ATN Mast Climber
ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast
or Mountain climbing gear
https://l-36.com/mast_climbing.php.
Don't agree with all his conclusions but he covers all the options in the site. Biggest disagreement is in comfort. Climbing harnesses are uncomfortable to hang in no matter how you cut it. Notice he uses the Mast Climber seat/harness in his video which I've found to be the best option for comfort and ease of use. It combines the security of a harness with the seating comfort of a bosun's chair. Have hung for an hour or more at a time with no issues with binding, circulation cut off, or any discomfort.

I'm 74, 15 lbs over weight and not in great shape so don't let people say your too old to anything to go up the mast. It does take some physical effort but go slow and enjoy the scenery as you go up. The Mast Climber paid for itself on the very first ascent when I discovered broken strands on the headstay at the mast head. Used the Mast Climber to change out the stay/furler mostly solo though I was only 67 when I did that.

I have a fear of heights earned from falling off a two story roof. Have no problem climbing solo. Feel very secure working aloft with the harness and safety lines attached.
Great constructive and inspiring post.. Thanks... must be read by everyone on this forum no matter the age!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa