Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 11:35   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Furling Jib

In a blow (anything above 20 knots) our headsail becomes a real handful to put away.

The minute you let the sheet rope go it flogs wildly and will do damage to you or the boat quickly.

I have had suggestions to put the wind on the beam, go downwind, but no matter what once that sheet rope is let go, it flogs.

So far the best technique seems to be have one person feed the sheet rope out a little bit at a time, and have another person pulling the furling rope.

The issue with this technique is that there is still generally a ton of load on the sheet rope because the sail isn't depowered - though you do get it in with the assistance of a winch (which IIRC is bad?)

Any advances on this technique?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 11:44   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Furling Jib

Hmm, not sure why you are having trouble cuz I do the same. I hold both the working genoa sheet (with a couple of turns on the winch) and the furling sheet in one hand, let go of the Genoa sheet a foot at a time while pulling in the furler, haven’t had a problem in any point of sail or wind condition. In upwind and 20+ knot conditions I don’t usually have the full Genoa out so that may be a difference compared to yours. I have never put the furling line on a winch.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 11:46   #3

So you pull the furler in by hand? How is your line run to the furler? Through dead eyes or pulleys? What size boat?
Old 28-12-2020, 12:22   #4

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
............The minute you let the sheet rope go it flogs wildly and will do damage to you or the boat quickly..........So far the best technique seems to be have one person feed the sheet rope out a little bit at a time, and have another person pulling the furling rope..........
Some suggestions:

1. When furling the jib sail out keep some tension on the furling line to ensure it does not wrap onto it self in the furler.
2. Reef the head sail before the wind reaches 20 knots.
3. Head the boat into the wind before furling the jib.
4. Do not let the jib sheet rope go before furling in the jib sail.
5. Use the technique you describe above to furl the sail in.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 12:32   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 375

On a windy day, I have had more success by heading downwind enough to blanket the jib behind the main. It will flog at that point, but not violently, and most of the strain is off the sheet. Then ease the sheet a few feet at a time while taking up the furling line. You have to remember to watch your course so as not to jibe accidentally.

My furling line is led through blocks attached to the lifeline stanchions, then the last one aft is a ratcheting block attached to the toerail.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 13:39   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have a self tacking jib, which means a lot of blocks and turns(extra resistance on sheet) so furling in can be a pain.
What works well for me is to sheet out until almost flogging. Furl in what you can. Repeat until it is furled.
It takes a little longer, but it's better than tearing the sail from excess flogging. We discovered this process after being caught by a 35 knot squall(of course at 2 am) We released the sheet and furled fast, but still back wrapped the jib and tore about 5 feet of the protective cover.
Now we rarely ,if ever have a problem with it.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 13:59   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i'm always surprised to find boats that don't have a rope clutch on the furling line

we find it absolutely invaluable - you can pull in a bit of furling line and gather energy for another pull, without worrying about losing it all again.

our technique is similar to chris mac...ease some sheet until sail almost flogging...heave in on furler...repeat

but like others have said, don't leave too much sail up too long. just asking for trouble. reef early and reef often

cheers,
Old 28-12-2020, 14:11   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I second the technique of letting a little jib out, then take up on the furling line. Once the jib is in past the second reef point things ease up.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 16:03   #9

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I agree with bits and pieces of various posts above.

In my experience it is far safer and easier to furl if the furling line runs through a clutch or around a winch. Far more control and it will never get away from you.

In heavy air blanket the headsail behind the main by either heading deep down wind and easing the sheet. The luff will depower and just start to float around the headstay.The head will do this before the foot. Now take up on the furling line. Repeat.

Even in reasonably heavy air I can furl very quickly like this by holding the sheet and furling line together. Pull the furling line towards the sheet winch such that the sheet eases as the furling line is taken up.

The biggest difficulty with furling jibs is often due to friction in the furling line blocks when under load.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 16:25   #10

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We have a winch for the furler line, so we just let out the sheet gradually while furling the head sail, works great even at twenty plus knots AWS.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Use a Harken ratcheting block for the last block before cleat/winch. The ratcheting block will hold what you pull in while you grab more line or just take a break if you maintain a bit of tension on the line. Sail shouldn't do any damage if it's flogging unless you have snapshackles or other metal on the clue. Tie the sheets on with bowlines, a cow hitch or Brummell splice if you need to get rid of dangerous metal on the clew. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harken-2-25...53.m1438.l2649
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 20:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
We have a winch for the furler line, so we just let out the sheet gradually while furling the head sail, works great even at twenty plus knots AWS.

Fair winds,
Thanks - thats pretty much what we do.

Sounds like we are on the right track - just some finessing.
Old 28-12-2020, 20:32   #13

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
So you pull the furler in by hand? How is your line run to the furler? Through dead eyes or pulleys? What size boat?
Furling line passes through blocks attached to stanchion bases and the boat is a Sabre 34.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, jib