Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2022, 11:45   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
Flipped the dinghy...AGAIN!

Last season my dighy flipped while attached to the heck while on the hook. Ok maybe the line was too long, should have known better etc. Particularly with the meltemi blowing. Getting the outboard back in service was a bit of a drama in this corner of greece... ok fine, chalk it up to experience...

Yesterday having dinner...minding my own business..I look at the dinghy from the restaurant ashore... noooo outboard again in the water, dinghy vertical pinned against the stupid mooring wall.

I swear it was just one of those moments where one questions life choices...

sure it is gusty...yes meltemi...but but..what am I doing wrong!??! can't a man tie his dinghy to have a bite to eat without drama?

I got lucky and located a guy on the island who serviced it in a flash which in greece is a rare occurrance. So I am grateful. But still I cant stop wondering. WHY ME!? twice now.. I must be doing something wrong tyjng the dinghy! I see others happily tied.. dancing in tbe wind. Mine seems to be the only one with flight aspirations. What sin may I be committing??!! aaagghhh
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 13:06   #2

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Re: Flipped the dinghy...AGAIN!

For sure a serious design flaw and/or trim issue. I would consider a few extra lead bricks in your dingy bilge. Otherwise….first world problems…
Old 14-07-2022, 13:31   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

You need more weight in the bow.
Old 14-07-2022, 13:38   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For starters, you might let us know what design and what size your dinghy might be. Without that info, nothing substantive can be offered.

Jim
Old 14-07-2022, 13:45   #5

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For starters, you might let us know what design and what size your dinghy might be. Without that info, nothing substantive can be offered.

Jim
Hmm.. let's see it is a 3D Tender Twin Air 230.. bought it cause it is extra light..
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 13:53   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

10' air floor dinghy that weighs 30 pounds according to the manufacturer.

I would think that, being so unusually light, it will always be prone to flipping in the breeze.
Old 14-07-2022, 14:01   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Hmm.. let's see it is a 3D Tender Twin Air 230.. bought it cause it is extra light..
OK, I had a look at their ad and make the following observations:

As you say, very light weight!

As shown, even without a motor fitted on the transom it sits bow high, presenting a lot of windage and at an angle that suggests a lot of lift.

Adding a motor accentuates that posture.

The tubes don't extend very far aft of the transom.

The result is high sensitivity to wind gusts... as you have found! Other than adding weight to the bow, I don't see any practical means of reducing that. Perhaps someone else may think of something clever.

Sorry...

Jim
Old 14-07-2022, 14:17   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Your dinghy has an anchor, right? Buy some chain for the anchor, then, drop anchor and chain over the bow, and hand set the anchor. You might buy some tygon hose to be chafe gear over the chain where it goes over the bow. Then secure it fairly snugly somewhere in the dinghy (you may have to put a pad eye on the transom for this). The weight of the chain, plus being tethered to the bottom, may help.

However, when it is gusting from many directions, you may have to tie it close to the stern, athwartships, so that it is secured all the time in the lee of one of the mother boat hulls....or install davits for it like you see on other catamarans. If you want to keep it on the tramp, then secure a pair of lines to go over it, from one of the pad eyes across to the other, fore and aft, to keep it from rising. I would stow it upside down for this, and keep whatever paraphernalia you have for the dink, in a bag that you can close (perhaps a large sports bag or duffel bag--or make one), aft of the mast. When not in use, said bag could be stowed in a below decks drop locker.

It was a good idea to get a light weight dinghy, who'd have thought there would be problems with it?

Also, learn to field strip your own dinghy motor, that will remove the hassle of finding someone to pay to do it for you.

Ann
Old 14-07-2022, 14:18   #9

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

A friend had a similar problem with his dingy. He took to usually using a bridle from the transom, and tying or anchoring it stern-to. This caused other problems with waves & such, but at least it kept his dingy upright.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 15:05   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

A light weight dingy (one with inflatable floor) is great when pulling it up the beach, not so good in gusty winds.

We have used this type for 30+ years. It has been flipped three times (most recently blown right off the deck of our yacht at 1:00AM (still tethered but not properly secured, apparently).

Our approach when gusty winds appear or are expected:

Up to 20 knots: At anchor we hoist it to deck level then secure the inboard tube closely to a deck stanchion. This changes the roll axis and prevents the dingy from being blown up onto the deck (which has happened.

At a dock or marina, carry plenty of extra weight, tied down.

Over 20 knots: we just hoist the whole dingy, motor and all, onto the deck and tied it down, and don't go ashore unless we can pull the dingy up onto land.

If we were inclined to leave it in the water (which we rarely do) we'd place a 6 gallon water jug in the bow and snug the dingy right up under the quarter, tied with two lines. Once, while enduring gusty winds in the Whitsundays the dingy, tied with one line and no extra weight, lifted up until it was level with the deck and then spun about 20 times, oars, gas tank etc all flying away and of course landed upside down.

Tags
dinghy