Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 18:47   #16

Boat: J80 & I-14
Re: First time leaving the LI Sound headed to Newport

I live on the west coast now, but have sailed out of the LIS more times than I can count during block island and vineyard races. Timing the Race will likely be the biggest worry, but since you're not racing you don't need to time it perfectly. It can definitely be a bit of a washing machine...but I think cutting through the Gut is worse. Don't know if you have a copy of Eldridge, but if not you should definitely pick one up. If you're a Navionics app user, you can get tide info from that as well. Other than the currents, watch out for lobster pots! They seem to pop up whenever you look away for a quick second
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, newport