Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 05:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
First Solo Jitters

Hello Friends,

I am about to embark on my first real solo sail. My son happens to be embarking on his first solo flight as part of his pilot program so it is meaningful that we're checking that box together.

If I am honest..I am feeling the jitters. Best advice for the white-knuckle first timer?

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 06:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: First Solo Jitters

Choose somewhere you know, to sail to and back.
Choose a nice day and a short trip.
Take a flask and light snacks.
Life jacket on.
Autopilot on and revs to tickover when hoisting sails.
Take you time, think things through and give yourself lots of space.
Little steps at a time, like eating a biscuit. Easy in little bites, tricky in one mouthful.
Enjoy
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 07:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you are not a tad puckered, you should not be solo.

A few tips- before undocking test the autopilot. FROM EXPERIENCE, it truly sucks when you get out there and discover it is having an issue.

At the dock do a walk-through; how will you let the jib out? How will you furl it? Same for the main, including how will you reef it. Don’t just talk, move and touch the things you will use. Can you reach them while clipped in?

Be sure to set jacklines at the dock. Jacklines should be down the center so you can’t fall overboard. It is not glamorous, but until you are comfortable, exit and return by going over the companionway. (Land jackline on cabin top winch).

Always clip in when leaving the cockpit, and in the cockpit clip in when you feel the first pucker.

Consider a pee jar/bucket, not glamorous, but easier than going below to relieve oneself.

When you ask yourself “should I reef?” Reef! Single-handing leaves little room for error. As you become more accomplished this will get easier.

All this may sound like I over plan ..... That’s cause I do!!!

One of the first things that get broken in an emergency is “the plan”. But having a well thought out plan is the basis for creating a work around.

Knowing what and how you are going to do things ensures that you can...

Have fun and relax.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 16:16   #4

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

think about this - what if instead of your first solo sail you were heading into rush hour for the first time on a 1000cc motorcycle? What do you reckon the comparative odds on survival for these 2 scenarios might be - my guess; die on boat, 1 chance; die on bike, 10,000 chances. A sense of proportion is useful to a sailor. Enjoy the jitters, they come virtually free of actual risk.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:29   #5

Here's a guy that recently completed a solo passage. You'd probably find his original post useful.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ce-233145.html

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:59   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Hello Friends,

I am about to embark on my first real solo sail. My son happens to be embarking on his first solo flight as part of his pilot program so it is meaningful that we're checking that box together.

If I am honest..I am feeling the jitters. Best advice for the white-knuckle first timer?

I've flown solo (including IFR), sailed solo, crossed mountains solo, SCUBA dived solo... swam in open water solo.. all of these many times..

There can be only one first time. Enjoy it

But be prepared and choose your weather and itinerary wisely.

Solo activities are less stressful for me since I am not responsible for anyone else's safety nor for making sure that anyone else has a good time.

Then again shared activities have their own rewards too

Have fun and be safe
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:04   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Plenty of sleep beforehand really helps.
Old 20-06-2020, 19:11   #8

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

As a flight instructor and pilot and sailboat dude.

Don’t suck

Most of it is a mind game, you know your stuff and will be fine, do your due diligence, check your systems before leaving the dock, keep situational awareness, and sail on and have fun
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've flown solo (including IFR), sailed solo, crossed mountains solo, SCUBA dived solo... swam in open water solo.. all of these many times..

There can be only one first time. Enjoy it

But be prepared and choose your weather and itinerary wisely.

Solo activities are less stressful for me since I am not responsible for anyone else's safety nor for making sure that anyone else has a good time.

Then again shared activities have their own rewards too

Have fun and be safe
All these activities are fine solo IMHO
EXCEPT SCUBA
A mistake there kills you with little wiggle room for self rescue
I’ve been PADI Advanced Open Water for 45 years
and have dived solo a few times
Never felt good about Ignoring all my training
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 20:26   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Hello Friends,

i interpret this as you have sailed solo before ? where / how long ? what is different this time ?

my keys for solo...planning...good preparation (self & boat)...and chocolate ! lots of chocolate !

cheers,
Old 20-06-2020, 20:29   #11

Boat: Lancer 36

Just like solo free climbing is not for everyone, neither is solo scuba diving, but competence is what is necessary to do it successfully. I checked most of the PADI boxes up to Assistant Instructor, and found that solo was more enjoyable as i did not need to worry about a partner who had less skills. In certain kinds of diving, solo is the norm. Joshua Slocum single handed around the world......
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 20:29   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Think through every step before you act and then feel the joy when you have everything dialed in. Jitters are normal. Have fun!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Consider a pee jar/bucket, not glamorous, but easier than going below to relieve oneself.
As I read through the responses, I thought this might be worth a call-out.

Did it seem odd to you that Snore not only recommended a pee jar, but then followed up with "easier than going below to relieve oneself..."?

For the Forum generally and newer solo-sailers in particular: There is a high incidence of men disproportionately falling off the boat as they are peeing off the stern.

As a single-hander, make a practice of NEVER doing that. Always go below or use a pee bucket, as Snore suggests.

I was once conversing with Major J of the Royal Marine Commandos about an uncoming single-handed passage and he responded that if I was mentally prepared to watch my boat sail away from me (in the event I went over the side), I was ready to go.

<Gulp>

After that, I developed very specific practices (like going over the companionway also as Snore suggests) to keep myself on the boat at all costs.

It is the primary thing in my mind when sailing singe-handed or with crew.

Hope you have a lovely solo sail. You'll find that once you get your sails up and the boat settles into a groove, you'll relax - about 4 hours in - and it's quite a feeling.

Questions to keep on constant rotation: Is she (the boat) sailing well/is she safe? Is the crew well/safe? What is the weather now/forecasted? What are the approaching dangers?

Reef as soon as you think of it.

Have a fantastic time!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 07:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
First Solo Jitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

I was once conversing with Major J of the Royal Marine Commandos ... ... he responded that if I was mentally prepared to watch my boat sail away from me (in the event I went over the side), I was ready to go.

With all respects to Major J- I call BS.

NEVER be ready to watch your watch your boat sail off! Your mindset should be on avoiding that. Set your jacklines like your life depended on them (it may). Clip in- and respect (not fear) the ocean.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:47   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I think on my first solo I started out with the main reefed then added sail area as I got over the jitters . I still get them on the first sail of the year