Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 08:08   #1
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 263
Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

My fenders hang down from my safety wires. The problem is that as they move over time they cause visible scuffing to the teak gunwales.

I don't want to fit a brass or rubber rubbing strake so I think the alternative is to buy a device that clips to the supporting rope and rests against the gunwales. Does anyone know if this exists and if not is it an invention worth doing?

Here is my idea so far.

Any thoughts? I could make it "open source"
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 8,648
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
My fenders hang down from my safety wires. The problem is that as they move over time they cause visible scuffing to the teak gunwales.

I don't want to fit a brass or rubber rubbing strake so I think the alternative is to buy a device that clips to the supporting rope and rests against the gunwales. Does anyone know if this exists and if not is it an invention worth doing?

Here is my idea so far.

Any thoughts? I could make it "open source"
Try covering the ropes with tubular climbing webbing. Because it floats and is very smooth, there should be little pressure or wear. Any rock climbing store for ~ $0.25/foot

__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:43   #3
Registered User
 
FionaJC's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast UK
Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Posts: 263
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Try covering the ropes with tubular climbing webbing. Because it floats and is very smooth, there should be little pressure or wear. Any rock climbing store for ~ $0.25/foot

Brilliant I will try it many thanks for the idea, now to find a climbing shop in flat old East Anglia UK - thank you eBay!
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 17:56   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30
Posts: 228
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Garden variety clear plastic tubing works well as anti-chafing gear also. I use it on both ends of dock lines- where ever the line can rub or abraid against the boat or dock. Usually I will tape the ends to the line with black electricians tape- to keep the tuning from sliding out of,position. Renew once a year usually.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 19:28   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014
 
thinwater's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Posts: 8,648
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Garden variety clear plastic tubing works well as anti-chafing gear also. I use it on both ends of dock lines- where ever the line can rub or abraid against the boat or dock. Usually I will tape the ends to the line with black electricians tape- to keep the tuning from sliding out of,position. Renew once a year usually.
Try the climbing webbing. I outlasted tubing 5-10 to one in testing. It just rolls instead of wearing. You'll see!
__________________
Gear Testing--Engineering--Sailing
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 19:45   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30
Posts: 228
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Thanks, I'll go find some, give it a try! I like that it appears to lay flat, perhaps move around more- rather like canvas sleeves in the old days.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: mexico
Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop
Posts: 127
Re: Fender lines damaging teak gunwhales

Stainless steel rub strakes- cheap and easy and wont detract from the look.,,,, they are made for friction points. tube web, towels, hose on the lines always get coated with salt and dirt which in turn eats into the varnish on your rails.....
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fender, teak

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
damaging / rusting other yachts with 'steel grinding overspray'? SteelCruiser Construction, Maintenance & Refit 28 12-01-2016 00:41
Fender board fender for a 2X6 board wadanoli Anchoring & Mooring 8 25-10-2015 10:14
Fender boards exranger Construction, Maintenance & Refit 28 08-06-2009 19:23
Fender steps? lancs Seamanship & Boat Handling 9 07-03-2007 12:50

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.