Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 10:59   #1

fast track to sailing ~ how fast?>

Ok guys and gals, I’m signing up for sailing school…
After a week of instruction, what are the odds I’ll truly feel comfortable taking my family out on a 40 foot sailboat?
It seems like there are a ton of systems to learn and issues that can arise. And while I would not expect to be too far from shore – I’d be too far to swim!
riderjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: fast track to sailing ~ how fast?>

No way to answer that without knowing you, your skills, where you are, where you plan to go, how long you plan to stay, the weather and all the other relevant details.

In general, lots of people would be ready for a calm weather, not far from home day sail after one class. Plenty wouldn't be ready after a year of classes.

Maybe some more details about what you are considering and any other experience you may have boating.

Without more information I would wildly speculate that on a calm day with a very close watch on weather and assuming you can read a chart and know how to navigate your neighborhood and can get the boat in and out of a dock under power and know how to operate the engine with all the little details for the boat including:

- any valves in the fuel lines, filters, tanks
- battery switching so you aren't left dead

and maybe an account with BoatUS towing service just in case then sure, give it a go.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28   #3

Thanks!
As a guy from the mountains and desert, all my experience with water is in gravity feed rivers ~ so wind driven waves will be new. I appreciate that you feel after a week a person could wonder around in a boat.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

While not from the desert I grew up inland in the southeast US. Never even saw the ocean until I was in high school and that of course was just a beach. The only boating experience I had was in my father's 14' fishing boat with a 6 HP outboard.

Then I got a chance to take a trip on a sailboat with 2 friends on a 2 week cruise to the Bahamas and was hooked. Went home and read all the books I could find about sailing. Six months later I got a job as crew on a 2 week delivery. That was all the experience I had but managed to talk my way into a boat crew job, took off for the islands as captain and didn't come back for 2 years. Of course there was a lot of learning on the job that happened but I managed, most of the time.

So I am definitely one to say go for it but do try to learn, practice and study at least a little before you go.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:59   #5

Cool.
Sounds like it all worked out for ya!
I'm hoping that floating suits me as well, I've wanted to wonder the world on water for quite some time - this is the dirt step.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:45   #6

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Welcome. Where do you live and where are you taking the lessons?

Of course a lot will depend on how thorough the classes are during the week you are learning.

I assume you will be chartering the "40 foot sailboat" so the charter company will most likely have some thoughts about how qualified you are to charter a certain size boat after you complete your training.

I started from scratch and learning how to sail the boat is one thing but personally I would not have been comfortable taking a 40' boat in and out of a slip after only one week (5-6 days) of instruction unless that instruction included a whole lot of docking practice with larger boats (which my school's curriculum did not).

After my first 5 lessons I was "qualified" to charter a Capri 22 and that was it. 3 more lessons and I could take a 28 and so on and so forth - more experience > larger boats.

Whatever size boat(s), I'm sure you'll have a ball.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 15:36   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderjuan View Post
Ok guys and gals, I’m signing up for sailing school…
After a week of instruction, what are the odds I’ll truly feel comfortable taking my family out on a 40 foot sailboat?
It seems like there are a ton of systems to learn and issues that can arise. And while I would not expect to be too far from shore – I’d be too far to swim!

Without prior experience , zero

Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 16:02   #8

Boat: None (yet!?)

Hi
I have just taken 2 days of lessons so think I can share my thoughts on this.

If you use the ASA course structure as a bench mark - then theoretically you
could take ASA 101 (2days) , 103/104 (3days/4nights) and be "certified to skipper a 30 - 50 foot boat sailing by day in coastal waters" after a total of 5 days instruction (plus the nights)

However I know some (or maybe all?) training centers ask for 10 days sailing experience (i.e. 10 logged sails) between the 101 and the 103/104 course to consolidate your experience.

So I guess you may well be confident after one week of solid sail training to skipper a 40 foot sail boat.
Personally I know I would not - not because of the inability to master the basic sailing skills but due to lack of experience of all those other "seaman skills" that you only get with time on the water.

All the best
andbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:31   #9

Thanks, that's what I would expect. More experience is necessary. I m headed out for a 7 day course - I'll let y'all know how it goes~
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20   #10

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbell View Post
Hi
I have just taken 2 days of lessons so think I can share my thoughts on this.

If you use the ASA course structure as a bench mark - then theoretically you
could take ASA 101 (2days) , 103/104 (3days/4nights) and be "certified to skipper a 30 - 50 foot boat sailing by day in coastal waters" after a total of 5 days instruction (plus the nights)

However I know some (or maybe all?) training centers ask for 10 days sailing experience (i.e. 10 logged sails) between the 101 and the 103/104 course to consolidate your experience.
I believe ASA recommends 24-40 hours of sailing between 101 and 103, and 80 hours of sailing prior to taking 104, but clearly the one week all inclusive classes disregard this suggestion so as in most things, "whatever floats your boat."

Good luck and let us hear how it went...and what size boat you subsequently feel comfortable on.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:37   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I've been an ASA instructor since 1994, owned a couple of ASA schools, and am an IE. Here is what I tell my students:

Taking a class is a bit like " Drivers Ed.". You will learn the basics, the theory, and get some hands on time. This is all good, and greatly reduces learning curve time, but there is no substitute for experience. I suggest taking a class or two, getting some experience on the water until the class skills are second nature, and then sign up for the next class. Repeatative learning over time is the most effective way to learn....there is no short-cut to experience.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:04   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

"there is no short-cut to experience."

This says it all IMO. One case where I believe that YM does not Vary!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-04-2014, 20:10   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I think that most Ocean Travelers have one thing in common. thats the ability to know what to do and when to do it. Or as Jim says, experance. For myself, the most I ever learned in a short period of time was crewing on someone elses boat for a season racing. You get the feel of a boat in extreme situations and how it reacts. and how to deal with the situation with positive and simple actions.
Its those simple actions you need to learn to keep an "Out-Of-Control" boat from getting the best of you.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 21:58   #14

Boat: Baltic 38DP

You say you want to take your family out. Going out on a limb I venture they have no sailing experience either. So effectively you are single handling your boat. To me that spells disaster. I would at the very least send one of your family on the same course so they can help you. Even then I would also get an instructor aboard your own boat to teach you its systems - each boat is different and it takes a while before you learn to see the similarities.

There are many pitfalls in sailing if you're not experienced. Don't be overconfident, use your head, and you will get there.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 23:55   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

a 40 footer is a big boat. We had owned boats and sailed for 10 years before we bought our 40 footer. The first season, we were still running into situations where it was quite a bit different than our 33 footer was.

I single hand ours today (so does my wife), but I really would caution against anyone, with only theoretical 7 day experience taking a 40 footer out.

The unexperienced can get a severe beating on a boat and the bigger the boat, the bigger the beating......................

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing