Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 16:50   #121

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Dropping vs lowering anchor

I can't recall when wind or current caused me to not "back away" when lowering the anchor. Chain piles??
Old 12-10-2020, 17:33   #122

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

At least now I know were I lost my board shorts, towel and rock...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 20:46   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No, this is not the case with properly set anchors. The whole point of having the anchor dug in is that it will not "pop out", but will crab around with the wind/current shift.

Of course, a sudden, very strong, 180º shift can still pop out any anchor. But this is far less common than a lower angle, or more gradual, shift.

If you are relying on an anchor's resetting capabilities, then you are leaving an awful lot to chance. Since it's easy to minimize this risk by actually taking the time to dig the anchor in, I choose to do so.

P.S. I see Wing beat me to it.
I agree, achieving a good set is essential even if wind changes are likely. In the Marlborough Sounds in NZ, 100 - 180 degree wind changes are a common event at night. Getting the anchor set deeply slows unsetting and helps the reset. I also drop any spare chain on the boat side of my bridle hook. Having this chain drag on the bottom also helps keep the anchor in place.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 22:40   #124

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I admire sailors who can “feel” when the anchor gets to the bottom.

I have 10mm chain on my anchor so by the time the anchor gets 6 metres down, the chain hanging from the roller weighs 14kgs and I am unable to determine whether the anchor is hauling out more chain or whether the chain is hauling out more chain. Especially when free-spooling the chain out. When I free-spool, the chain just runs at the same speed and will empty the chain locker (80 metres) without slowing.

I have to rely on the markings on my chain vs water depth to know the anchor is on the bottom.

Hmm - Your calculation of chain weight is correct but you must have a very light anchor if you can't tell the difference between 14kg of chain and that chain + anchor. Your anchor would have to weigh considerably less than 10kg for you to be unable to tell the difference. I'm talking about lowering the chain by hand. Not lowering by hand means you can't feel anything.
Since my chain does not feed unless there is a lot of pull on it (I have it stored below the forward bunks and it comes out through a big pipe around some turns), deploying the first 20 feet or so means the anchor has to be lowered by hand that far. It's a 60 lb CQR with 3/8 BBB chain, which weighs 1.65lb/ft. So in 20' of water, the chain itself is only 33lb. No problem feeling the 60 pounder reaching bottom! I still lower it that far by hand. Then pay out the rest of the chain that I had on deck, quickly hand over hand also. If wind pushing bow too fast, I have to keep clear and let 'er rip. Chain will feed itself into the horizontal gypsy, which is Always set with the brake released at that point, so the chain fetching up suddenly doesn't rip it off the deck. Tighten brake when I get desired scope (I use wire-ties on the chain as markers).
Old 15-10-2020, 06:56   #125

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
I admire sailors who can “feel” when the anchor gets to the bottom.

I have 10mm chain on my anchor so by the time the anchor gets 6 metres down, the chain hanging from the roller weighs 14kgs and I am unable to determine whether the anchor is hauling out more chain or whether the chain is hauling out more chain. Especially when free-spooling the chain out. When I free-spool, the chain just runs at the same speed and will empty the chain locker (80 metres) without slowing.

I have to rely on the markings on my chain vs water depth to know the anchor is on the bottom.
It's nice to be "admired", thank you. I don't have any power supply to my anchor other than my muscles. Feeling the anchor hit is just a matter of when the rode payout slows to a near stop. Sails furled and let boat pay off as the rode plays out. Hold the rode and 'feel' the anchor begin grab. Most times you can see the scope. You'll know when it grabs as effort increases.
Usually I cleat it off and wait a bit to make sure. If possible I occaisionally dive the anchor just to gain a bit more confidence or not damaging a reef.
By the way, I have a 25 lb Danforth, 30 ft of 1/2 chain to 5/8 rope. Total length? About 180 feet. Two of them.
p.s. if it should be to windy, I can run the rode back to the jibsheet windlass and crank it in as I motor slowly forward.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 07:00   #126

Boat: 35' sloop

Almost forgot, I never,ever throw the anchor over. Grace and ease is the way to go.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:11   #127

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
It's nice to be "admired", thank you. I don't have any power supply to my anchor other than my muscles. Feeling the anchor hit is just a matter of when the rode payout slows to a near stop. Sails furled and let boat pay off as the rode plays out. Hold the rode and 'feel' the anchor begin grab. Most times you can see the scope. You'll know when it grabs as effort increases.
Usually I cleat it off and wait a bit to make sure. If possible I occaisionally dive the anchor just to gain a bit more confidence or not damaging a reef.
By the way, I have a 25 lb Danforth, 30 ft of 1/2 chain to 5/8 rope. Total length? About 180 feet. Two of them.
p.s. if it should be to windy, I can run the rode back to the jibsheet windlass and crank it in as I motor slowly forward.
Ditto. I also am only lowering 70 or 80 lbs total because I use a chain/rope rode. I would be using a manual or electric windlass if I had a lot of chain.

I prefer feeling the anchor set with my hands, too. You can get a good feel of the bottom type that way. You can do the same with a windlass if you had a hand on the rode, feeling how the anchor is bumping along as it sets. Pretty valuable information to have. Ive reanchored before after realizing that I had dropped among rocks even though it would have appeared to have "set".
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 14:35   #128

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPerry View Post
Ditto. I also am only lowering 70 or 80 lbs total because I use a chain/rope rode. I would be using a manual or electric windlass if I had a lot of chain.

I prefer feeling the anchor set with my hands, too. You can get a good feel of the bottom type that way. You can do the same with a windlass if you had a hand on the rode, feeling how the anchor is bumping along as it sets. Pretty valuable information to have. Ive reanchored before after realizing that I had dropped among rocks even though it would have appeared to have "set".
I always say, anchoring is a tactile experience. I'm constantly reading what is happening with both feet and hands on the chain. Visual cues are also essential. Watching the chain and how it moves. Trasits, of course.

I've used both electric and manual windlass (my boat is manual). I think it's easier with manual, but it's not hard with an electric either. The key is to be on the foredeck where you can feel, and directly see, what is happening.
Old 15-10-2020, 15:01   #129

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I almost always power down. I agree that putting a foot on top of the anchor chain while setting let's you feel the texture of the bottom. With experience, you can tell the difference between firm and soft, rocky, weeds, and hard pan. You can also distinguish between a good set, hooking a rock, or dragging.

I don’t power down all the time due to anchoring under sail, but do use this technique of foot on top of the chain. Amazing how much you can tell about the bottom.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 15:11   #130

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
We use a more controlled method, knowing the depth we lower X amount of chain , then drift back until the anchor grabs and the boat straightens in line with the chain and repeat until appropriate scope is achieved, then we back down to set the anchor more fully. There can be variations relevant to circumstances. There are various schools of thought on this, kinda like what the best anchor is...

Fair winds,

Much as I do Kimberly, works well so far.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:02   #131

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I always say, anchoring is a tactile experience. I'm constantly reading what is happening with both feet and hands on the chain.
I came very close to losing two fingers by getting them caught between chain and gypsy (I can post pictures if you have the stomach for it ) and while I know there will be folks who will say “I’d never be that stupid”, trust me it happened in a heartbeat and not as difficult as one would think.

No possible way I have hands/feet on/near the chain/winch, eyes/ears only which is probably why I’ll never be able to feel the ground tackle touch the ground.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:08   #132

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I came very close to losing two fingers by getting them caught between chain and gypsy (I can post pictures if you have the stomach for it ) and while I know there will be folks who will say “I’d never be that stupid”, trust me it happened in a heartbeat and not as difficult as one would think.

No possible way I have hands/feet on/near the chain/winch, eyes/ears only which is probably why I’ll never be able to feel the ground tackle touch the ground.
I certainly don't doubt your assessment, and if it can't be done safely, obviously one should not put hands or feet near the chain. In my case there is no possible way for anything to get caught.

It's too bad, because you really do miss a lot if you can't feel the rode.
Old 15-10-2020, 18:59   #133
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Yup, me too. A big express cruiser wake that came up from behind was a factor. Consider it an obvious safety warning. I have no interest in feeling a chain rode attached to an electric winch. Besides, I can see just as much, perhaps more, as the catenary in the chain trembles. You just have to watch closely.
Old 15-10-2020, 19:15   #134

All this careful feeding and feeling!! Just dump the thing down and drive it in.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 21:23   #135

Boat: S&S 40

I drop the anchor while reversing, usually the wind blows the boat backwards and sets the anchor.
Anyway common sense says don't pile the chain in a heap on top of the anchor.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor