Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Dramatic MOB rescue

It takes this experienced crew 1 1/2 hours to get their crew member beach on board... And apparently he was tethered but it snapped.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?ot=Html5...tId=1.1755349#
Old 01-04-2014, 11:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dramatic MOB rescue

Takes time to depower a racing boat.. clear the sails and decks then go back and pick up someone.. especially if its upwind..
Also... time to stir it... the over reliance on lifelines is demonstrated.. makes one reliant on a maybe factor.. instead of the old 'one hand for me.. one for the boat..'
Seen folk doing stupid things leading to injuries in the belief the tether solved all...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Dramatic MOB rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Takes time to depower a racing boat.. clear the sails and decks then go back and pick up someone.. especially if its upwind..
Also... time to stir it... the over reliance on lifelines is demonstrated.. makes one reliant on a maybe factor.. instead of the old 'one hand for me.. one for the boat..'
Seen folk doing stupid things leading to injuries in the belief the tether solved all...
I tether, especially when single handing.

But I agree, tethering does not make you bullet proof, just like using seatbelts still requires safe driving. When the bow is pitching up and down 12-16 feet, your in for a rodeo ride tethered or not. I try to follow the three point rule.. Two feet and one hand on the boat, if possible. Stay low. You know the rest of the drill well.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12   #4

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Dramatic MOB rescue

The clip I saw had some comments from him that he hit a (the?) rudder as the boat went over him, if I heard him correctly. He also wasn't sure if anybody had seen him go over. Terrifying experience.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, rescue