Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 18:41   #31

Re: Does the wind matter THAT much? ;)

Hello Boatman,

Thanks - I'd love to follow you - How do I do that? Is there a link or a site somewhere?

And thank you for the welcome
Rob
Trident50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 18:44   #32

You were there???!

Of course there were beers involved…so I may have misunderstood…or missed the part that "yes, you can sail in any wind/weather if you don't care about dying"…but we were all just young cannon fodder anyway in those days.
Trident50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 00:51   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Following Boatman 61's Latest Adventure is the title of the thread relative to his Denmark to Antigua delivery.

Your question about how to get started has been answered countless times, I'd suggest browsing around using the search function. The short answer is simplistic: go where there are boats and offer to help people. Race skippers like to take on crew, but at 50 you may be used to calling the shots rather than doing what you're told. Some Yacht Clubs have sail training programs, also there are certification courses. It's all bee written about here in encompassing detail already.

The best answer to the what boat you should buy is to be decided by yourself after you've had enough experiences of boats and sailing to know what you like--and definitely should wait until you've learned to respect the sea, IMO.

Ann
Old 16-10-2014, 02:17   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Trident

The general consensus on CF of which boat to buy is as follows (depending on who you ask)

1- Don't buy a monohull
2- Don't buy a multihull
3- Don't buy a full-keeled boat
4- Don't buy a boat with a bolt on keel
5- Don't buy a boat with a fully encapsulated keel
6- Don't buy a boat with in-mast furling
7- Don't buy a boat with hank on sails
8- Don't buy a production boat
9- Don't buy a one-off boat
10- Don't buy a big boat as a beginner
11- Don't buy a small boat as a beginner
12-Don't buy a wooden boat
13-Don't buy a GRP (plastic) boat
14- Don't buy a steel boat
15 Don't buy an aluminum boat
16- Don't buy a boat witha deck stepped mast
17- Don't buy a boat with a keel stepped mast
18- Don't buy a boat with an engine
19- Don't buy a boat without an engine
20- Last but not least -Don't buy a boat without a XXXX anchor

So- that didn't answer your question, but now you know what to steer clear of. Just find a boat that doesn't have any of the above and it will be a good boat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 03:14   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Good one, CArsten!

But no one will listen!

Jim
Old 16-10-2014, 03:25   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident50 View Post
Hey All!

Okay - that all sounds sound!

I didn't know that aobut crossing the gulf stream - that little spit of - is it 60 miles or so? - can be that bad….hmmm…that's good to know!

I see myself sticking around Florida until I get a little experience…maybe the Turks and Caicos after a while as I have friends there. No great expeditions until the comfort level is there…when I can sail as good as I can drive then maybe we'll see what's out there.

That said, I'm sure there's answers elsewhere on here, which I will look for, but how would you all recommend learning to sail. Sailing schools - any to recommend? Offer myself up as fodder/crew/ballast for a few turns about out there?

Thank you all again for the great advice…I don't see myself taking "many" crazy chances out there, having lived aboard an 800' nuclear guided missile cruiser that, at times, got tossed about like rubber ducky, I've seen some mean seas and I find it amazing that you all are OUT there in such small vessels….very cool!

Rob
Rob,

Find a sailing club where you are... It won't be too pricey, and you'll have lots of people EAGER to help... As well as access to a bunch of different boats... Yesssss... You will learn a ton quickly crewing as "rail meat" (ballast) club racing...

I guarantee you that we would ALL have DIFFERENT weather parameters and schedules if our LOA were 800', and we had a couple hundred thousand HP at our disposal...

Quote:
Damn El P - that is quite illustrative!!!

So, if the winds aren't with you, but the seas are passable, does it then pay to have a larger than standard engine w/additional fuel onboard? Is that done often? Or, as I type this, I'm guessing it may have much to do with the boat?

Thanks!
Everything on a sailboat is a compromise... Pretty mush the reason warships like yours don't have masts any more... Carrying around an oversized powerplant and the extra fuel is a slow costly compromise 90% of the time... And we're also talking LOA and hull speed... Don't care how big your engine is on a 40' boat ya ain't goin' 10-20-30 nuke cruiser kts

Quote:
Thank you Ann!

I'm hesitant to ask "what kind of boat should a newbie like me get?" as I imagine there will be many answers. But okay - I'll ask

What I've been looking at are Hunters, Beneteaus, and that type of mass-produced boat, in the 42-46' range. I love the Island Packets and Hanses and Hylas's….but my wallet doesn't!
Carsten has the short list there... 100,000 answers and more... But... If you want to get a boat before experience, the brands listed are all fine for coastal and Carrib island hopping... Some can do much more... Priority #1 if you want to jump in now is to not get screwed, and also get a boat that has a chance of reselling well...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind