Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Docks with just posts - singlehanded

So just as I'm getting comfortable with sailing and getting closer to my cast off date. I go the Florida boat show and see hundreds of boats in the local marina tied up to posts and mostly 'bow to the wall' there were four posts to tie up to. I am fairly comfortable with a regular dock and mooring ball when single handed but the post deal in any type of current cross wind situation worries me.

I'm guessing these are long term slips where you can set them up to make it easier, but it still looks like you need to be several places on the boat at one time.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Docks with just posts - singlehanded

Is this a statement, a question, both, or something else entirely?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:33   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Very common setup most everywhere I've been.

Takes some planning, especially singlehanded, wind direction and speed, your common and well versed handling techniques, ...these are on your mind as you approach.

Final decisions occur just as you reach a position where aborting the docking is no longer an option.

In light wind or current I usually attempt to come to a stop just before the leeward rubrail touches the pilings. Then go about casually tying up and centering the boat.

In more adverse conditions my focus is on assuming a position from where the most advantageous "first line ashore" can be made fast. To prevent things like the wind pushing the bow into the dock, or maybe the stern swinging into the next slip when the pilings are spaced to far apart for my size.

If your boat is nimble and can stop well when reversing you are at an advantage to some others, like a heavy full keeler with a truly auxiliary one cylinder engine.

Btw, I'd rather be tied into the pilings than on a side tie up at a fixed dock.

Side tie on a floating dock is nice, but few and far between in my area of experience.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36   #4

Yeah, lots of east coast dockage is the pits. Fortunately most everywhere up here has real floating docks you tie to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have described 99% of the Marina's I frequent, although usually there is a walkway between every other set of posts.
Myself I don't like being alongside a dock, boat has to touch and I don't like that, I'd rather suspend her between a half dozen lines than lay alongside
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53   #6

So once you're in there just lasso the windward stern line then run to the bow and lasso that one, then take your time with the leeward.

The pilings seemed awfully high to be tossing lines over. Well it will be another challenge to overcome.

I wondered because a lot of the boats in there looked like they had not moved in a loooong time. I thought that area might have been the 'sin bin'...
Old 02-01-2017, 13:22   #7

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
So once you're in there just lasso the windward stern line then run to the bow and lasso that one, then take your time with the leeward.

The pilings seemed awfully high to be tossing lines over. Well it will be another challenge to overcome.

I wondered because a lot of the boats in there looked like they had not moved in a loooong time. I thought that area might have been the 'sin bin'...

Yes, pretty much as you describe.

Variables include things like width of slip, which side is the finger pier and which side do you prefer.

For example, a good wind from starboard, finger to leeward on port, with port prop walk. Come in with starboard stern favoring the windward side, close to outer most piling. Reverse and slow, prop walk straightens the boat into the slip, but not before you have snagged the aftmost windward piling. Thus ensuring the boat stops short of the dock at the bow. Then the boat drifts over to the finger to leeward. Toss a starboard bow line to the dock and hop off, walk around pull the boat off the finger a bit. Add more lines, walk the the tiki hut.

Also, when singlehanded, for me it is always considered if a midship line can be used first. Then a bow or stern on the same side and things are usually secure enough to proceed at leasure.

As much as we wish it, we can't be two places at once. A midship line and rubrails are my best friends.
Old 02-01-2017, 15:25   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Tie a line between the dock and the post on each side. You can grab this line as you power into the slip and use them to maneuver around while you grab the mooring lines. These lines are common in the Med. Mooring situations where you tie to a buoy and the dock. Since they can spend some time in the water when the slip is empty they are universally known as 'Slime Lines'.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 15:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You guys either have not single handed a docking or work way too hard.

If the piling is spaced such that you can drop a stern line on the aft cleat and not hit the dock --- rig stern line with eye on the art cleat. When leaving hang stern line so you can easily grab it when returning. Pull in bow first, drop stern line on cleat, look like an ace.

Since the wind WILL change and make this a challenge, you should rig both stern lines the same and hang both for easy pick-up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 15:40   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

It's about piloting, planning, preparation, situation analysis and problem solving, and virtually every instance can be different based on wind, current, layout of the slip, height of pilings, etc.

The first skill is knowing exactly what your boat will do and won't do, and being adept at handling her in tight quarters. I single hand my boat almost entirely. She is a bit of a pig and won't back to starboard for *&$#. But I know her well and can make her dance, albeit slowly and a bit ponderously.

Spring lines from midships are your friend. Often my first line on the dock for the simple fact that it gives more universal control if your bow or stern starts to skew. But that's a generalization.

Take the time to assess the situation and formulate a plan of attack. Try and make it one that offers opportunity for correction or redoing, and knowing what your "point of no return is".

And for God's sake don't step off the boat if you're alone until it is secured unless absolutely, positively necessary, which is pretty much never.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 16:16   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post

Yes, pretty much that's it at times. And I was doing it as a kid, as part of my chores as 1st mate. Playing cowboy I mean. While my 7yr old brother handled the lines on the bow.

Though the other, easier, option is to hug the windward side of the slip coming in, & drop your stern line over the piling when you get close to it. Which lets you avoid doing much cowboy s**t, if any.

For this line (& others), have it be a good 3m+ longer than you need. Ditto your other dock lines. And you can rig temporary spring lines on either side, led through your toe rail (or a snatch block attached there to), & back to a cockpit winch by the helm. Also, lead a stern line or two to such winches. Preferably self-tailers. Which will facilitate easy line adjusting, even if they're loaded up due to wind pressure pushing the boat around, or thrust from the prop is doing the same.

You'll want to experiment as to the block's ideal placement. Preferably on a dock somewhere that there's an easy egress route for the boat, such as a side tie. With no boats directly ahead or astern of where you want to practice. So that you can simply nudge the throttle (in forward), & drive away from a blown approach.
And you should also practice this drive away manuver in general. Ditto everyone else onboard doing it, when well fendered up. As all of us need to stay (or get) into practice. And knowing that the Mrs. or your 10yr old can comfortably handle the boat in close quarters is pricelss. As is their being confident in handling her. Job cross training onboard rocks.

Also, aside from the cowboy trick, in a pinch, or if you goof, tie up to the leeward pilings, & use your dink to take out the windward line/lines at your liesure. It depends on how hard the wind's blowing, & what's downwind of you. And it's why I fender up heavily on boath sides if I don't know the layout of where I'll be tying up. Plus you never know when someone will be in your slip, & you'll need to switch to plan B for moorage.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:06   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Steve,
You have been given some excellent information from the previous respondents. I might add one thing if this will be a permanent slip: build a bridle for your bow that will prevent the boat from hitting the dock if your boat speed is too fast. You can spider lines between your forward pilings/cleats or added attachment points that will effectively stop the forward momentum of your boat. I saw this employed very effectively by many slip owners at the old Milwaukee public marina which had many competent single handlers. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Steve,
You have been given some excellent information from the previous respondents. I might add one thing if this will be a permanent slip: build a bridle for your bow that will prevent the boat from hitting the dock if your boat speed is too fast. You can spider lines between your forward pilings/cleats or added attachment points that will effectively stop the forward momentum of your boat. I saw this employed very effectively by many slip owners at the old Milwaukee public marina which had many competent single handlers. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
It did help and many thanks to all who chipped in their 2pence / cents worth. This question like so many others just highlight how much I don't know. Still it's an interesting learning experience.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40   #14

Boat: Beneteau 343

It is a complicated question and I got very spoiled on floating full length docks in TX. Now that I am in FL my solo skills are tested heavily. Here is my advice:
Know your boat as others have suggested; how to leverage prop walk, how much does windage affect you, how much thrust on engines does it take to get proper effect of using springs lines (this presupposes you know how to use spring lines which is critical), etc.
Break things down into smaller maneuvers; IMO it is most important to know how to stop boat from moving fore and aft. Let the wind blow you into a piling (use fenders) but make sure the boat isn't moving fore or aft (that's when the damage will occur). Generally this means using lines quickly made fast and a little engine power to hold the boat still. Then you set about tying other lines, including a spring line to get your boat moved into proper position in the slip via engine thrust. One step at a time.
Never leave the boat until it is done unless it is 90% done and you have a plan for doing it safely. If it can't be done while on the boat I don't do it and I find another way.
Nerf up your slip; I am not shy about using pads and fenders on my pilings to facilitate the stopping and spring line moves.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:24   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Assuming no shore cleats I would use 4 spring lines. First motor in dead slow, reverse to a stop. Get a loop around the outer lee post, hang a bumper and cleat tight. Then run a spring line from the lee stern cleat to to the forward post. Run another from a bow cleat to the rear lee post. Repeat on the upwind side, release your initial line and adjust lengths to stay centered and off the dock at maximum tide. If not sure match your neighbor's spacing and deduct a little extra for safety. Lastly you need run a line from to a bow cleat ta a convenient shore point (anchor, spike, tree, whatever) to pull her in to board over the bow pulpit. There will be no load on this line so anchoring it is no big deal. To get ashore to initially set the boarding line loosen the bow lines to the rear posts to permit almost reach the dock. Pull her forward by pulling on one of the lines from a stern cleat. Sounds much more complicated than it really is.
Of course in a more typical situation there are cleats on the dock so you can use one or two shore lines to the bow and eliminate the stern spring lines.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, single