Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 16:25   #16

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: Dockline Snubbers

" prolonging the life of your anchor winch."
???

do people let the winch take the load?
bad idea.

Also why not just attach a nylon rope to the chain and tie that to the boat for a snubber action. You can buy those screw links, etc... easy enough to attach.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG0Q8wIwAw

or a shackle
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 16:40   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

most folks with all chin rode use a snubber line to prevent the tugging on the windlass. i wrap my chain around my bits , and the snubber will prevent chain from chipping my bits.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 05:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
shockles used on a sprit on a formosa for keeping the ball off the boat dont work-- they break in 60 kt winds.....with a helluva noise.....i dont use snubbers on dock lines-- i use spring lines and have no problem with jerking or tugging motion, even in high wind situations. my boat is 28000 pounds.
I'm surprised that the Shockles didn't work on your boat considering it's light cruiser size. My guess is that you installed them improperly (in a chaffing situation) or inappropriately as they are rated at 2500lbs (each) on a fully extended continuous load. We never install them in this manner (as our cruising weight is close to 25T), but in a way where the sag in the bridle (or dock line) takes up the load before they become fully extended. Boats with bowsprits, dolphin strikers and bobstays will require two as in any bridle situation when on the hook. The beauty of this product is that it can be easily removed if unneeded and easily stowed without removing your lines as they are quickly attached with a half hitch at each end.
We install them the same way when using them on our docklines; where they work perfectly, even with the tidal wave action we experienced in SoCal. The product is fully guaranteed and I'm sure they would like to know how their product failed and would in all likelihood return your money.

Properly installed as a dockline snubber; The bridle setup is virtually the same (one from both sides), with the docklines clipped to a cats paw attached to the anchor chain.
Attachment 32760

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 05:03   #19

Anchor rode should always be backed to the cleats, never the winch or windlass regardless if you're employing a bridle or not. It's just poor seamanship.

Old 19-10-2011, 10:17   #20

my rode is backed to my bits. btw--bit are stronger than cleats, and keel stepped.
shockles had no chafe ares, and were only keeping ball off hull...i will never buy them gain, i dont care what size they are---not functional for me and way to pricey for my use. i will continue to create my preventions and snubbers.
Old 19-10-2011, 10:37   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

I haven't used 'shockles' and they are NOT what I proposed which are solid rubber bone shaped mooring compensators around which the line is wound. The amount of total stretch is limited by the line and easily adjusted, more turns of line around the body permits more stretch, fewer and the line takes all the strain sooner. They come in various strengths and stiffness to suit the line diameter, the bigger diameter line versions obviously being stiffer and stronger.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 10:42   #22

You're right, zeehag, the anchor chain should be backed to cleats, (including bitts or sampson posts); but never on the windlass. Is this not what I stated?

Old 19-10-2011, 10:45   #23

mostly is what you stated-- but some boats, the cleats are much less strong than is the sampson post/s....in those cases, the cleat would not be as good a choice. what i said finishes your statement, not competes with it.
Old 19-10-2011, 10:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
I haven't used 'shockles' and they are NOT what I proposed which are solid rubber bone shaped mooring compensators around which the line is wound.
They don't quite work that way and require one to feed the lines through every time you want to stow the dock lines. They're okay if you want to become a permanent fixture at the dock, but if you're on the move they're a pain in the bitt.

Old 19-10-2011, 12:03   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
They don't quite work that way and require one to feed the lines through every time you want to stow the dock lines. They're okay if you want to become a permanent fixture at the dock, but if you're on the move they're a pain in the bitt.
I had them on our permanent berth lines, yes and excellent they were too, but also had two lines with them fitted in readiness to use when elsewhere, no problem to stow them with the snubbers left in place. We also had two nylon anchor line snubbers ready made up with chain hooks, anti-chafe tubes and the rubber compensators already wound in, again no problem to stow as the 'stiff' bits are shorter than the coiled line size.

I made up an anchor line snubber before these rubber dogs bones were available, just by whipping five or six lengths of shock cord laid alongside each other into a slack loop in the nylon line. The result was very similar to the shockles, but without the snap shackle ends to make them removable.

Our 'new' boat is in the USA and we will be shipping our collection of snubbers over with us to use, although I did remove the lines from the mooring ones and left those with the old boat. The anchor snubber lines will come complete as they are, too useful to have sold with our boat over here in the UK, although I may combine the two into a bridle since we now have a plank bowsprit.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 12:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mostly is what you stated-- but some boats, the cleats are much less strong than is the sampson post/s....in those cases, the cleat would not be as good a choice. what i said finishes your statement, not competes with it.
I have no need nor desire to compete with any statement you make.

Old 14-10-2014, 05:35   #27

I know this is an old thread, but hope there is someone still reading.. Has anyone tried Snubberone? Found this webpage recently, and the product looks promising, but I am not a pro in any sense, so can anyone tell me if I'm making the right choice of mooring snubber here?
Monkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 07:06   #28

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor View Post
before i shell out the money for these things i just wanted to know are they worth it or is there a better snubber than the ones sold at west marine? I have been researching it for about an hour now and have read some bad stuff about the rubber ones but cant find a better alternative. Im docking in very unprotected waters.
This might be what you are looking for. We also had those long black rubber snubbers and whilst they did a good job, within 2 years started deteriorating due to sun exposure. I searched and found a number of alternative suppliers - in the end, we went for snubbers from Inmare - slightly more expensive than the long rubber snubbers. Excellent quality, it does the job perfectly and after 8 months, absolutely no sign of sun damage.

Read more here:
REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world

and here:
REVELATIONS Wiets & Sue cruising the world

Good luck!
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 07:04   #29

Old thread but common issue:
Want to get some snubbers for docklines but it seems the two main brands either damage the lines or the ends rip out. Anybody have luck with a particular DOCKLINE snubber?
Thanks...!
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 17:53   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One option is to use nylon double braid docklines. They have quite a lot of stretch, but less than nylon 3 strand. If your dock has a lot of unusually big wakes, I'd try the ones that are around 18 in. long and you wind the rope around them, black rubber or some other material. But, for marinas we've been in (although rarely) 3-strand has been adequate. Shouldn't use non-stretchy line, like old jib sheets, nor polypropylene, even though 3 strand (UV degradation).

For example, 1/2" for the 30 footer; 16 mm for the 46 footer....

Ann