Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 13:44   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Docking ideas for twin rudder single prop...

To get the handling you want you may need to install a center rudder or thruster. Sometimes the rudder size can be increased by adding plywood and fiberglass, but boring a new rudder would be easier and better. The boat probably doesn't hold a straight course too well either.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:28   #17

Boat: Comet 41s

Twin rudders work better on modern wide transoms with all the beam pulled back, a lot better, unless you have a ridiculously deep single rudder. A lot better in any situation....except on a marina.

you have to chose your trade offs. Anyway I have one of those boats with a ridiculously deep single rudder but the sail drive is so far away from the rudder that the effect on the rudder is very small. Again having the weight more near the boat due to engine forward is great for sailing but lousy on a marina.

One thing you can try is to change your propeller. it is amazing the difference in prop walk among different propellers. I changed mine because someone that should know better said that it would work much better with my engine increasing performance....well, no, but increased hugely the prop walk and made manoeuvering on the marina a lot easier. But for that you have to try. The one I use now is a flex-o-fold.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 05:37   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

My Jeanneau 349 was a handful for me to dock until I learnd to focus on wind and tide then prep a single line that would secure the boat until i could get more lines attached. Training wheels made from floating polyester lines helped until i could gain experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	118
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	149850  
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, rudder, single