Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 11:42   #1

Do I take the red pill or the blue pill? (which of 2 boats to buy)

Hello, All.

I have two boats on my radar to purchase, and I'm torn- both are fine vessels.
One is a 1973 Allied Mistress 39, Center Cockpit, Ketch. The other is a 1984 Dickerson 37 Center Cockpit, Ketch.
Both are in exceptional, nearly new condition, the Allied a little nicer overall. The Allied requires radar, a chart plotter and auto pilot be ready. The Dickerson has brand new instruments top to bottom, bow to stern. If surveys turn up something tragic that will of course help me make a decision, but I'm not expecting anything I don't already know about

Anyone care to sway me in either direction?

Thank you very much!
danwrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 16:20   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Do I take the red pill or the blue pill? (which of 2 boats to buy)

They both looked to be long keel boats. Are you thinking weekender or full cruise? Is there a significant other that may prefer comfort?do you know how each boat behaves at anchor?
Dickerson has lots of wood, are the main berth dimensions similar? Seems like the Allied has a berth much higher and narrower.
How about other expensive items like a water maker or anchoring system? If price is similar, and sail management is comparable, then comfort systems and confidence systems may help you make a decision
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 04:55   #3

We are currently weekenders moving toward coastal cruising. If all goes well, we will move to blue water. I don't want to change boats to do so, unless of course we don't love the boat.

Leaning heavily toward the Dickerson- nicer lines (to us), lower profile so less windage.
Old 29-05-2020, 06:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The classic psychology example of this dilemma is a starving donkey half way between two hay bales, unable to choose. One answer to it is that in starving he falls toward one or the other, and the closer he gets, the more he likes that decision.

Choose, even though you have no way of conclusively saying that your choice is correct. You will quickly find that you focus on the good aspects of your choice, and belittle the features of the rejected boat. You will be happy.

Another example is choosing a car. Once you've chosen you'll stop reading ads for other brands.
Old 29-05-2020, 06:49   #5

Buying a boat for the electronics is like buying a house for the appliances. They will eventually need to be upgraded. Buy the boat in better condition. Consider the boat with better living space. You spend 1/3 of your life asleep, focus on the berth. You'll spend more time on anchor, mooring or slip. Focus on the living spaces.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 07:15   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

With a spade rudder, better SA/D and better ballast ratio, I'd expect the Dickerson to sail much better. With an SA/D of not quite 15, the Mistress is going to be a real snail.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 08:21   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Interestingly, they both rate about 186 PHRF, which means relative sailing performance is not a deciding factor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 08:36   #8

The only comment I have is '73 is getting very old. '84 is old too but many glass boats seemed better built along the learning curve in the 80's. At least to me.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 20:06   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If you think new instruments are a big investment just wait till you have to replace an engine, fuel tank, water tank(s), sails, standing rigging, chain plates, windlass, winches.....
both boats are long in the tooth and if they have not been well maintained and upgraded throughout their lives you have a lot of potential work ahead of you. Be very careful with your choice of a surveyor and it would be wise to have a mechanical survey done.
There is a huge difference between coastal cruising and heading for blue water. A Gulf Stream gale will let you know whether you have prepared properly, or not.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 08:48   #10

Thank you everyone for your replies.
We purchased neither boat.

Tags
boat