Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 16:51   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Do I need a storm trysail with in-mast mainsail reefing?

You don't need a trisail. Save your money for something that you will use more often. If it gets too windy then either furl the main to about 1/4 size or fully furl the main and use a staysail only.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:59   #17

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

yes if you have the money and space on board grab a storm trysail and good quality sail bag for it / practice with it till it becomes a useable tool onboard / then stow it where you can always get at it easily / then hope you never have to use it / if you don't have a storm staysail you can pull the trysail up on the spinnaker halyard /sheet it off to a shroud chain plate then wind down your main to trim for hove to
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 16:32   #18

I dont know how to post a link, but there is a recent thread about 3 sailors being towed in from heavy seas of off the Washington/ Oregon coast that should probably be read by people saying you dont need a trysail. A broken boom doesnt make an inmast furler any more useful than any other type of sail. If the folks had a trysail (independent of booms,main sheet, any other rigging that is for the main) they probably would have been able to carry on. They had a series of failures such as loss of rudder control and a blown out roller genoa, but they had an inner forestay, but no sign of a staysail or storm jib on it. Catastrophes are often a series of breakage that overwhelm people, but a trysail is just another backup to keep going. There is another point about not having a staysail up. They may not have been regularly using one and by the time the wind got high enough to shred the genoa, it was too dangerous to try to feed a luff tape into a foil without the sail getting away from the crew. I feel that of all sails, the staysail should be hank on, not roller. Feeding luff tape in high winds is dangerous. The other thread is a good read about how things can go wrong. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 17:08   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

I would assume that the tri sail would move your COE aft compared to a furled main as many deisgns have a longer foot and shorter luff compared to a reefed main. (agreed that not all do btw). That should give you slightly better balance on the helm.

On a side note, I just found this. Obviously its a nice day and they are practicing. But there is no way I would want a tri sail up so high. eeek!

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Dragon+Throggs
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 17:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The main is fine until the furler breaks and the entire sail unfurls at the worst possible moment. Yes, to the trysail if you are going offshore.
Could you elaborate on this please. I have never heard of this type of failure with an in mast furler.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:03   #21

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I vote in favor of a trysail and a parachute sea anchor. It's always good to have options.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:43   #22

yeah Oz, that photo shows a trysail high enough to be a roll stopper at anchor, but much too high for heavy winds. As far as not having heard of a furler failing, I doubt that there is any brand/type of furler that hasnt had a failure at some point. They all have ropes or gears or hydraulics that are subject to possible failure and booms, goosenecks etc can all fail when you least expect it. None of these things are common but you have big trouble if it happens to you and you have no backups. Backups and contingency plans are what prevent people having to go out in gales and rescue unprepared (or very unlucky) boats and crews. ______Grant.
Old 14-06-2016, 19:52   #23

I had to laugh, I just went to the General Sailing part of this forum and there is a post about a failure of a furling main. It is a behind the mast type, but most of the basics are the same. Old gear, new gear, well maintained gear, it is all subject to possible failure. Be prepared. ____Grant.

Tags
mainsail, mast, sail