Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2022, 08:37   #1

DIY wind-vane for non-transom-hung rudders?

I'm interesting in building a wind vane, and I've found two DIY plans. Unfortunately both are designed for transom-hung rudders and require a trim-tab to work.

I've seen references to a wind vane that is built from a bike frame - but I haven't been able to track it down on Google.

Does anyone know of any available plans for wind vanes that do not require transom-hung rudders?
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 13:17   #2

Re: DIY wind-vane for non-transom-hung rudders?

Have you looked at Gerard Dijkstra's book "Self-Steering for Sailboats"? Perhaps it will help you design one.
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 13:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

John Letcher's "Self Steering for Sailing Craft" has all the science and design information you could want.
Are you thinking of building a servo-pendulum style (like a Monitor), or a backup rudder (like a Hydrovane)?
Old 23-09-2022, 14:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
John Letcher's "Self Steering for Sailing Craft" has all the science and design information you could want.
Are you thinking of building a servo-pendulum style (like a Monitor), or a backup rudder (like a Hydrovane)?

Definitely servo-pendulum. I haven't purchased the boat yet, but I'm not planning on anything much larger than 27'. The backup rudder systems seem overkill for my purposes.

Currently I'm reading Bill Morris' "Windvane Self-Steering Handbook", which has some details on designing your own. However I was hoping to find something similar to the MK-III - where you can just purchase the plans online and build it.

The closest I've seen is the WoodenB and the Hibridean - but both seem to be abandoned projects.

The two most promising off-the-shelf options for my needs are the Mister Vee and the WindPilot Pacific Light. Both are around $1800, which isn't unreasonable. However I'd like to try to build a cheaper one if at all possible.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, rudder, wind