Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 15:29   #91

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber
Re: Difficult/sloppy crew

Lines should be kept neat and tidy and hear should be properly stowed for safety reasons alone, let alone aesthetics. You don't want to be racing and have a jib sheet wrap around someone's let or arm and snatch them off the deck, or cooler slide or knife slide off a counter onto someone's leg.

I'd suggest just a simple "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you'd coil that line" rather than being all Capt. Bligh about it. Add it into your pre-sail orientation.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:32   #92

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rotating the skippership is a good idea. When they see how well everything works when our possibly OCD (joke) skipper is crewing, the light bulb should go on after the experience has had a while to sink in.

Something like waking up in the wee hours of the morning, with an "aha! remember when we got stuck in irons when because the jib sheet wasn't free to run? That doesn't happen when Joe is crew! maybe it's cause he's a perfectonist"....Pause...."Let's make him crew all the time!" Maybe it'll even get to, "Naw, we all gotta share skippering."

Pure fantasy, of course.

Ann
Old 29-01-2016, 16:02   #93
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Terra?
I was replying to the OP. WHo is the one that posted the question. Just in case you missed it in his first message, he said "... we all agree I'm the skipper."
So, yeah, "he" very much is the only relevant skipper as far as everyone's concerned in this thread.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:20   #94

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Ah. Somehow that never registered to me as overriding the partnership. Though I believe it would be much better to cross-train the entire crew and see who is better at what.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:56   #95

Boat: Columbia 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Lines should be kept neat and tidy and hear should be properly stowed for safety reasons alone, let alone aesthetics. You don't want to be racing and have a jib sheet wrap around someone's let or arm and snatch them off the deck, or cooler slide or knife slide off a counter onto someone's leg.

I'd suggest just a simple "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you'd coil that line" rather than being all Capt. Bligh about it. Add it into your pre-sail orientation.
+1
A teachable moment:
Aboard a 24000 lb boat, dropped the hook to do some snorkling. Breeze piped up and we proceeded to weigh anchor. Crew on fordeck had the rode foul. When a gust hit, the rode was looped around his leg as it began to slip through his hands. A frantic struggle with more crew racing forward to help was all that prevented a potential broken leg, MOB, and drowning. Now we always keep a clear deck and cockpit. Always avoid foul lines, even for a moment.
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew