Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 15:24   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I am sure all the extra weight has been removed like fresh water at 8.3lbs per Gal. Weight could be moved to try to get a balance that might give the ship less draft

You haven't actually seen the boat. I have. There really is 4' of keel stuck in sand. Local people have already tried to dig him out with no success. Odds are slim that they will come up with enough money for something like a tugboat, not to mention the fact that the boat is not built for that kind of strain.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:30   #92

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

How about a giant lifting bag.
Has anyone thought of a giant inflatable ring with an open end or a giant inflatable tube. Wrap tube around boat like a donut. Inflate ring with air.
Boat lifts clear, tow it back out.

What would that cost.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:35   #93
cruiser

Quote:
4 souls posting for this dude. If he would hire a chick with a nice body to plead for help or maybe someone needs to mug him on the beach and peta can show up and save him lol. Just jokes... For real I was thinking he would have had more posting on this thread. The lack of cash or a good way to get a loan is going to make the boat belong to someone else. I would not think the city wants it? My guess is they want to punish him and others to deter this type of thing. Can he get a job and loan on the same day? I would say try to work for a place that will get you out of the sand. This would be the loan a value set at x to be worked off by y hours of labor at z wages. Lots of room for a few ideas post them fast he went in the hole today even a good job will not stay far ahead of the fine. Hey maybe your post will be the one to float the boat. You might get a thanks and earn a star. Everyone likes a thanks ?

The city is not trying to deter liveaboards by picking on him, but with him living right off a public beach and with no visible means of disposing of his human waste, one might question whether or not he is a good live aboard tenant. I'm not sure who you think in this area would be able or willing to make such a work arrangement.

I sincerely hope the boat is not salvaged, but on the other hand, living in hurricane-prone waters, he should have had a good mooring and not relied on anchors. We've had a number of bad storms in the area in the last couple of years. The boats that have well-made moorings have never gone aground even in the worst storms. Just about every single one of the boats relying on anchors have gone aground at one time or another just in the last couple of years.

TS Debby was not a big event here (for instance, the stories about a marina building destroyed were GREATLY exaggerated -- a small amount of corregated roof peeled off, and three days later you couldn't see a sign of damage there). I've been on my boat for considerably worth just from thunderstorms. I think it's irresponsible to have such a big boat not on a good, well maintained mooring. Also, something the pictures don't show is that the Gulfport Beach is very small. This thing is smack in the middle of it.

It's a very sad situation but it was completely avoidable.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:37   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
Is anyone willing to come out and help this guy? I will make the 15 hour drive if we can get enough people to make this a success.

I have a 150 lb Danforth to kedge with. If we can get some heavy chain and two long large diameter rodes from another volunteer we could connect both to the Danforth and then use one rode to kedge and the other rode tied to a halyard to list the boat.

At the same time remove as much as possible from the boat to save weight.

Then at high tide winch and pull like crazy. If we could get a powerboat out there, it could pull sideways on the center of the kedge line. This multiplies the force of the kedge. Even if the power boat pulls then relaxes, the slack could be taken up by winch with each cycle.

It might take a few high tides but if it moves a little then it is only a matter of patience and inch by inch. The idea is to put a strong spring/tension on the rodes and let the wave action wiggle the boat in the direction we want it to go.

Anyone willing to help? Anyone know how to contact the owner and where exactly the boat is? Current status? Is the owner a good guy deserving of a helping hand?

---------

Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

Gene I would suggest you find out what's already been tried before driving the 15 hours ...

The owner is a nice but eccentric (which in my mind is a good thing) man, but he did not secure his very big boat properly for storms. I am sorry for him but I don't understand why he didn't build a good mooring for that boat.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:38   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
anyone got a friend with a crane could offer some help to him????

It will take a crane to do the job safely (as in survival of the boat).
Old 24-07-2012, 15:42   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
So rather than the "City" giving the poor bugger a hand in getting his boat (home) out and giving him a bill, they prefer to suck $93 a day out of him by doing nothing because he can't do it himself (100% profit ).......there is something seriously wrong with the society we have created for ourselves.....

How much money do you suggest this small and financially strapped town spend? Should they also absorb the cost for the other two boats aground in other locations? How about last year, when 8 irresponsible owners let their boats go aground? How much should that small town (and relatively poor town) have spent?

This was not some unusual, unpredictable or freak event. Nor was it unavoidable.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:44   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Gotta agree if that was Australia the locals would have him out of that sand and in a slip, very sad poor fellow....

You have no idea what local sailors have already tried to do to free him up, do you ... people went out there with their boats and tried to pull him off at high tide. They tried to dig him out at low tide. There are several fundraising efforts going on.

At least get the story straight before damning people.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:45   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
FIRST!!--you haveto find enough people who give a damn about his plight.

Really?

How many people have physically participated in trying to free this boat so far?

How many people have organized fundraising?

How many people have donated?
Old 24-07-2012, 15:47   #99
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Which is one of the reasons I posted this on here. I'm sure if enough sailors in the Tampa Bay area are aware, they will coalesce and help.

In fact the city of Gulfport has helped this man tremendously, because their decisions have made it a media event here. I doubt there's a sailor in the area who doesn't know about it, and LOTS of people have coalesced and are continuing to do so.

Newspaper stories do not tell every little detail about a story, especially one like this that is changing regarding help every day.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:50   #100
cruiser

Quote:
I do not know him or how to contact him. I am in my old KY home far away. I feel sorry for him getting a fine every day and no help.

The fine is true although I *think* we will find that if the man manages to free his boat, the fine will be waived. The "no help" is completely untrue.

He hasn't had SUCCESSFUL help yet.

By the way, this is one of several reasons why 7' keels are a bad idea in this part of the country. He's lucky he's not on rocks. That's happened here with boats of that size.

And, by the way, when it happened, the local boating community gathered together to help the owner get his boat off.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:52   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Is this boat in FL, or Gulfport Mississippi ?? if MS ya would have to fly to New Orleans LA about 2 1/2 hrs by car from there ! Just asking Cus Im about 5 hrs from there and would help if some others were there also!!

It's Florida, in Boca Ciega Bay, on the beach of a small and not at all wealthy town.
Old 24-07-2012, 15:54   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Tampa Bay area, It says, Is there two Tampa Bay area's.

There are not two Tampa Bay areas.

The boat is in Boca Ciega Bay, which is a little finger off the Gulf of Mexico but very close to Tampa Bay. St. Petersburg and small towns around it including Gulfport are universally considered part of "the Tampa Bay area."
Old 24-07-2012, 15:56   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Quest View Post
We met Capt. Jay this spring while passing through Gulfport. Great guy and very helpful to other sailors - just a little down on his luck at the moment. I wish we could help, but we are currently about 1400 miles away.

Not specifically referring to the poster above, but here's the fundraising effort. People who want to help financially could consider donating. Even if the man loses his boat he will still be in a lot of trouble, have to find a home on land.

Grounded in Gulfport by Jim Thompson - GoFundMe
Old 24-07-2012, 15:58   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok...how many of you sailboat owners have had a boat become grounded in a storm???

boats grounded in storms look crappy. they been thru hell--so why do you denigrate this one without knowing he boat or the human owning it???
there is a mebbe 1-2 ft tidal range in fla in tampa bay. is negligible.
does someone in the area have access to a way of getting that boat unstuck so he doesnt become homeless????
remember, there is that problem also in the usa. do we HAVE to add to it by failing to assist someone in dire need????

You were right; what is needed is a barge with a crane.

Grounded in Gulfport by Jim Thompson - GoFundMe
Old 24-07-2012, 16:00   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I AM intrigued by the lack of response by posters from the Tampa Bay area, and I know there are a few from there on here.

I am intrigued by your assumption.
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht