Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2022, 17:15   #61

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Crew Management -- Medium Sized Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, when we're racing, I certainly don't stand watches. I have way too much other stuff to do.

As it turns out, we've added one more sailor to the crew, making 6 of us. I will stand a 4 hour watch, but in tandem with one of the non-sailing pro mariners, so I won't have to do lookout. Should be a very nice passage, plenty of crew resource, good cooks among the crew. We're off tomorrow for Cape Verde, my first time in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Who is the navigator on this trip or are you really going to Dakar?

Enjoy the voyage
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 14:29   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Who is the navigator on this trip or are you really going to Dakar?

Enjoy the voyage

Are you a mind reader? I was just thinking about Dakar. I don't know subsaharan Africa at all. But deeply desire the acquaintance.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 14:32   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dakar,_Senegal.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	250877

Dakar, from space.

My God, what a place.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 07-01-2022, 18:16   #64

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Attachment 250877

Dakar, from space.

My God, what a place.
A green and pleasant land, not.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 21:48   #65

I regularly sail with crews of 5 to 8 people. A few thoughts on the matter.
Start off with fixed meal times. If you let people choose when to eat their breakfast and lunch I've seen people skip meals. Either through being too shy to help themselves or fear of seasickness keeping them out of the galley. Skipping meals or meals at weird times compounds so feed them like children for the first few days and then they'll find their own pattern that works.
If you're sharing cooking duties don't assume everyone can follow instructions. Most people aren't used to cooking for 5 hungry adults so whoever makes the meal plan should note quantities. I've had people discard the advice of cooking 2 bags of pasta and trying to serve 500g of pasta to 8 people. 3 chicken breasts on the curry instead of 6 because 'that's what I always do' etc. You can also have a problem with crew adding the wrong ingredients. For example adding all the mushrooms to the pasta leaving no mushrooms for the following meal. Quantity control is key.

I don't let people extend their watch if they're feeling good. One guy will have an extra coffee and stand on for 3 hours to watch the sunrise. It messes up the whole watch routine and people's sleep patterns.

With the inexperienced guys you could sleep in the cockpit for their first few watches. Less daunting for them to wake you if you're in the cockpit. Crew don't like to enter the skippers cabin to wake him/her at first. Not being woken up is the number one problem I have with new crew.

On keeping the boat tidy, choose someone everyday who is responsible for general tidyness. Not necessarily cleaning but managing the cleaning. Encourage them to delegate if necessary. I also enforce the galley being clean at all times. After a round of coffees it's tempting to leave the cups in the sink but this creeps and after a few days the sink is constantly full of dirty dishes and bits of food etc
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 21:57   #66

One more thing I'll add. When I started sailing I was a bit too friendly with crew. I'm no Captain Bligh but I do like to let them know early I'm in charge and as the trip progresses it allows you to become more informal.
Watch for an opportunity to do this. There is often one crew member that sticks out as the hardest working, most helpful and keen to get things done. They will make suggestions, 'will I stow this here/would if be better if we xyz?'.
I found if you let little things slide early on these natural decision makers will start to make decisions and it's hard to reign them in after a few days.
Overrule them on one or two small things very early on. It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings but makes it clear your decisions are number one. Explain your decision and they will accept/realise you know more than them These crew members often become my strongest asset once they figure out how I work and how I like things done.
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 22:27   #67

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49
Crew Management -- Medium Sized Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
One more thing I'll add. When I started sailing I was a bit too friendly with crew. I'm no Captain Bligh but I do like to let them know early I'm in charge and as the trip progresses it allows you to become more informal.
Watch for an opportunity to do this. There is often one crew member that sticks out as the hardest working, most helpful and keen to get things done. They will make suggestions, 'will I stow this here/would if be better if we xyz?'.
I found if you let little things slide early on these natural decision makers will start to make decisions and it's hard to reign them in after a few days.
Overrule them on one or two small things very early on. It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings but makes it clear your decisions are number one. Explain your decision and they will accept/realise you know more than them These crew members often become my strongest asset once they figure out how I work and how I like things done.

I think your advise regarding establishing authority may say more about you and who you choose to sail with than you might think.

Every boat and crew will have it’s own dynamic and chemistry. In our case, one of the ‘crew’ is the owner of this vessel and another larger motor yacht. On board we have his MY Captain and Engineer. They both have experience and credentials. I am also a boat owner with less experience but understand how crews and captains behave.

Most of our crew do not need to be trained to respect the roles and responsibilities onboard.

In the 1200 miles DH and I have sailed here from Alicante (he and I alone for the first 300 miles, with one other the last 800) we established (through conversations and experiences) which kinds of questions should be elevated.

When you have experienced crew and people who have interpersonal skills, such dominance displays could easily backfire.

Had DH used your advice for no other reason than to demonstrate authority, he might have had trouble getting another crew over the holidays after I bailed. We are not puppies being house trained.
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 22:55   #68

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Attachment 250877

Dakar, from space.

My God, what a place.
That's the Cap Vert/Cabo Verde/Cape Verde that the Cape Verde Islands are named for.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:34   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
. . .
When you have experienced crew and people who have interpersonal skills, such dominance displays could easily backfire.

Had DH used your advice for no other reason than to demonstrate authority, he might have had trouble getting another crew over the holidays after I bailed. We are not puppies being house trained.

I agree! Doing something which is perceived to be manipulative, because it is -- err, manipulative (overruling something just to "establish authority") on the contrary undermines authority.

Team dynamics are a complex and interesting subject. Several of us bring skills in this from our day jobs and careers leading larger organizations in business (the owner runs a large company with thousands of employees). Good leaders don't need to do anything manipulative, in order to get the team pulling together. Sailing with a happy, smoothly functioning crew is one of the joys of sailing for me; I never understood people who prefer sailing single or double handed.
Walt Whitman
Old 08-01-2022, 03:37   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
I regularly sail with crews of 5 to 8 people. A few thoughts on the matter.
Start off with fixed meal times. If you let people choose when to eat their breakfast and lunch I've seen people skip meals. Either through being too shy to help themselves or fear of seasickness keeping them out of the galley. Skipping meals or meals at weird times compounds so feed them like children for the first few days and then they'll find their own pattern that works.
If you're sharing cooking duties don't assume everyone can follow instructions. Most people aren't used to cooking for 5 hungry adults so whoever makes the meal plan should note quantities. I've had people discard the advice of cooking 2 bags of pasta and trying to serve 500g of pasta to 8 people. 3 chicken breasts on the curry instead of 6 because 'that's what I always do' etc. You can also have a problem with crew adding the wrong ingredients. For example adding all the mushrooms to the pasta leaving no mushrooms for the following meal. Quantity control is key.

I don't let people extend their watch if they're feeling good. One guy will have an extra coffee and stand on for 3 hours to watch the sunrise. It messes up the whole watch routine and people's sleep patterns.

With the inexperienced guys you could sleep in the cockpit for their first few watches. Less daunting for them to wake you if you're in the cockpit. Crew don't like to enter the skippers cabin to wake him/her at first. Not being woken up is the number one problem I have with new crew.

On keeping the boat tidy, choose someone everyday who is responsible for general tidyness. Not necessarily cleaning but managing the cleaning. Encourage them to delegate if necessary. I also enforce the galley being clean at all times. After a round of coffees it's tempting to leave the cups in the sink but this creeps and after a few days the sink is constantly full of dirty dishes and bits of food etc

This is all great advice, however. Several points noted; thanks!
Walt Whitman
Old 08-01-2022, 03:37   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That's the Cap Vert/Cabo Verde/Cape Verde that the Cape Verde Islands are named for.

Indeed! Have you been there? Wish we had time to stop there.
Walt Whitman
Old 08-01-2022, 03:44   #72

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

Quote:
This is all great advice, however. Several points noted; thanks!

Some great suggestions about meals and general housekeeping.

Thank you Hanksy for these recommendations
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:00   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
A green and pleasant land, not.

Nor is Greenland (nothwithstanding the name).

Yet Greenland was the coolest place I've ever visited in my life.
Walt Whitman
Old 09-01-2022, 16:37   #74

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:

Cooler than Iceland?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 17:38   #75

Boat: KP 46

Quote:

Coolest or coldest. I sailed most of the west and south coast of Greenland and found Disco to be a "cool" place, lots of ice, I love being up in the ice.but it was cold!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220109-163644_Gmail.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	250975  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, men, size