Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 02:55   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Courtesy Flags

A courtesy flag is not merely a matter of respect. It shows that you have cleared into a country. Not flying it may invite inspections, boardings, and questions.

You are supposed to fly the "Q" flag when you enter a new country's waters, and take that down and substitute for a courtesy flag when you've completed all the customs and immigration formalities.

Some countries evidently don't pay too much attention to any of these things, but I would be very, very sure about it before I started to ignore any of these protocols. I am presently cruising in North Biscay all this month, and have not seen a single foreign boat not flying a French courtesy flag (or a Q flag).
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 03:41   #17
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A courtesy flag is not merely a matter of respect. It shows that you have cleared into a country. Not flying it may invite inspections, boardings, and questions.

You are supposed to fly the "Q" flag when you enter a new country's waters, and take that down and substitute for a courtesy flag when you've completed all the customs and immigration formalities.

Some countries evidently don't pay too much attention to any of these things, but I would be very, very sure about it before I started to ignore any of these protocols. I am presently cruising in North Biscay all this month, and have not seen a single foreign boat not flying a French courtesy flag (or a Q flag).

You sure? Where I'm from it's common practise to fly the flag of any country's waters you are passing through... So if we're sailing through Saudi waters, we always fly the Saudi flag, regardless of whether we're checking in there or not.

I'll need to look this one up now!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 04:09   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A courtesy flag is not merely a matter of respect. It shows that you have cleared into a country. Not flying it may invite inspections, boardings, and questions. You are supposed to fly the "Q" flag when you enter a new country's waters, and take that down and substitute for a courtesy flag when you've completed all the customs and immigration formalities. Some countries evidently don't pay too much attention to any of these things, but I would be very, very sure about it before I started to ignore any of these protocols. I am presently cruising in North Biscay all this month, and have not seen a single foreign boat not flying a French courtesy flag (or a Q flag).
Q flags are specifically not required in EU waters for EU visiting boats and becuase these represent the vast majority of visitors the whole use of 'Q' flags has fallen out of use. Actually Q flag means "seeking pratique" , ie that the ship has no contagious diseases and may enter port

dave
Old 19-07-2013, 04:11   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
courtesy flag is not merely a matter of respect. It shows that you have cleared into a country. Not flying it may invite inspections, boardings, and questions.
No this is not the common accepted usage of courtesy flags, You host on entering the territorial waters of the country and it remains flying until exit,

I dont beleive any of this is enshrined in law, but a courtesy flag is just that , a courtesy to the host country.

I always abide by such practice as many countries get hot under teh collar about it , Also ensure its in good condition.

Dave
Old 19-07-2013, 05:36   #20

Get some cotton duck cloth and paint 'em up. Paint of acrylic or latex for flexibility, cloth paint would probably work the best. Primary colors should be all you need
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:49   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
You dont actually need all those flags. A red ensign for all of the former Brit posessions will work fine for almost all of them. A French flag will work for all of the French possessions. And a Netherlands antilles flag will work for many of the rest. That should reduce the number you actually need by about half.
By that reasoning you could use a red ensign for a courtesy flag while visiting the United States, Canada, South Africa, etc. After all, they all used to be British possessions too. If no one said anything they were just being polite. Privately they knew that you were clueless and insensitive. The situation is different for Guadeloupe, Martinique, et al. These are parts of France so the tricolor is correct.
Old 28-07-2013, 09:53   #22

Boat: Rhodes 45'

I like to feel I am accepted or part of the country I visit. I feel good to have it so together that I remembered to respect the symbol of their country. I carry some nylon scrapes and marking pens, (permanent) and I sew them. If in Belize where it has incorporated an intricate designs I simply get the general form and color. Leave the details out.
I haven't seen an art critic yet. Then when I leave I pass the flag on to other visitors/ sailors. Some save them and raise all the flags at once to display where their boat has traveled to. It's a happy thing!!! When I allow my impatience to rule over such a small issue I will be done as a sailor.
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 10:57   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
On the other hand, I've heard that in the French islands (Guadeloupe, Martinique, etc.) they will harass you mercilessly if you don't have one.
Hard to believe - I don't think I have ever seen an official in the French islands. Check in and immigration is usually done on a computer in a local bar. The one time we hiked up a hill to an actual official, he glowered at us and told us to go to the bar to check in like everyone else. I have never seen one on the water.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
You sure? Where I'm from it's common practise to fly the flag of any country's waters you are passing through... So if we're sailing through Saudi waters, we always fly the Saudi flag, regardless of whether we're checking in there or not.

I'll need to look this one up now!!
Keep doing what your doing Saucy... these newcomers to International Courtesy/Diplomacy have a lot to learn still....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:17   #25

This was a concern of mine too but the reality is you don't need that many in the E Caribbean and they are much cheaper to buy locally than in USA or Europe, (the exception being Las Palmas where they are very cheap).
Timd_chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:58   #26

Boat: Cape Dory 27

What better way to dress ship than to display the flags of all those countries you've visited?
midnightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 12:42   #27

Boat: Rhodes 45'

There's decals on the back windows of RVs. Remember when our parents put stickers on their trunks and suitcases? Then of course there was the thrill of getting each stamp in your passport.
I think flags are great. Sure beats a whiny crew member or a chihuahua with a bladder problem. Heck, if sailing were so easy the landlubbers would be out here. LOL!!!!
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:43   #28

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The discussion of Courtesy Flags rates right up there with Anchors and Heads....

There is no International Law on Courtesy Flags and the customs of using these flags them varies from Country to Country.

For instance, some countries don't require "Q" Flags to be flow by recreational sailors. Also some countries may want you to fly the local Territorial Flag under the National Flag.

In General, as you enter a Foreign Port you should fly the Quarantine Flag until such time as your are properly checked into the Country.

You should then replace the "Q" Flag with the Host Country's Flag either on the Starboard Flag Halyard of the vessel's Mast or in the case of power boat, optionally on the Bow Pulpit Staff.

Now what really happens is that many countries don't care if you fly the "Q" flag, but will get very upset and may even have laws that forbid you from flying a tattered or faded Host Flag. They may also have laws against disrespecting there Country's Flag, which is usually open to the interpretation of the official accusing you of it. So my recommendation is don't fly faded or torn Courtesy Flags.

The best practice is check with other cruisers, Noonsite.com or the Coconut Telegraph to find out what is expected of you before you enter the country.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 19:46   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
The discussion of Courtesy Flags rates right up there with Anchors and Heads....

There is no International Law on Courtesy Flags and the customs of using these flags them varies from Country to Country.

For instance, some countries don't require "Q" Flags to be flow by recreational sailors. Also some countries may want you to fly the local Territorial Flag under the National Flag.

In General, as you enter a Foreign Port you should fly the Quarantine Flag until such time as your are properly checked into the Country.

You should then replace the "Q" Flag with the Host Country's Flag either on the Starboard Flag Halyard of the vessel's Mast or in the case of power boat, optionally on the Bow Pulpit Staff.

Now what really happens is that many countries don't care if you fly the "Q" flag, but will get very upset and may even have laws that forbid you from flying a tattered or faded Host Flag. They may also have laws against disrespecting there Country's Flag, which is usually open to the interpretation of the official accusing you of it. So my recommendation is don't fly faded or torn Courtesy Flags.

The best practice is check with other cruisers, Noonsite.com or the Coconut Telegraph to find out what is expected of you before you enter the country.
This agrees with my experience... good advice, Tom.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-07-2013, 20:33   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All it takes is a 10.00 dollar (US) trip to any material store, and a bottle of gorilla glue, and ya have all the flags ya ever need !! We make them if don't already have one ! I think it's better to be nice then stupid! some folks really get upset when ya don't fly there flag after ck in ! And maybe things have changed, but we have always flown the Q flag when ckin in for the first time ! I was taught this was right way ! but as I said things change! but if it has nobody told me LOL

Tags
flags