Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 14:43   #16

Re: COLREGS - Sailing in an anchorage or mooring field

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Has it come to this that sailors complain about a sailboat sailing and not using its motor?

It appears so

Although I Can just imagine the reaction of this forum if the original poster was on a jet ski !!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:53   #17

I'm confused about tacking in a channel. I thought the sailboat loses right of way in that circumstance. (Not talking about what's going on here). Is that only if the other vessel is restricted by draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 15:01   #18

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
A boat under sail normally has right of way but what about when sailing in an anchorage or mooring field where larger boats have limited maneuverability?
There is no such loophole. Boats limited in maneuverability by draft or by occupation, but there is no COLREG regarding limitations due to operator ability. There is certainly no COLREG regarding limitations due to operator irritability.

You turns on da motor, you gives way to da sailor.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 15:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
I'm confused about tacking in a channel. I thought the sailboat loses right of way in that circumstance. (Not talking about what's going on here). Is that only if the other vessel is restricted by draft?

rule 9 "narrow channel" (This does NOT apply to the OP's situation and note the section I bolded that overtaking is still burdened):

(a)
(i) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.
(ii) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(i) and Rule 14(a), a power-driven vessel operating in narrow channels or fairways on the Great Lakes, Western Rivers, or waters specified by the Secretary, and proceeding downbound with a following current shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel, shall propose the manner and place of passage, and shall initiate the maneuvering signals prescribed by Rule 34(a)(i), as appropriate. The vessel proceeding upbound against the current shall hold as necessary to permit safe passing.
(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel that can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.
(c) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.
(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within that channel or fairway. The latter vessel shall use the danger signal prescribed in Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.
(e)
(i) In a narrow channel or fairway when overtaking, the power-driven vessel intending to overtake another power-driven vessel shall indicate her intention by sounding the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(c) and take steps to permit safe passing. The power-driven vessel being overtaken, if in agreement, shall sound the same signal and may, if specifically agreed to take steps to permit safe passing. If in doubt she shall sound the danger signal prescribed in Rule 34(d).
(ii) This Rule does not relieve the overtaking vessel of her obligation under Rule 13.
(f) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a narrow channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall navigate with particular alertness and caution and shall sound the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(e).
(g) Every vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid anchoring in a narrow channel.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 15:09   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

I love "rules" threads, if they are so clear why is there always so much argument over them?
Old 19-10-2014, 15:11   #21

So if I'm entering into a narrow channel close hauled, am I obligated to stay to the starboard side of the channel at all times or only so as not to impede vessels coming the other way? How does that play out?

Old 19-10-2014, 15:14   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"as near ... as is safe and practicable"
Old 19-10-2014, 15:22   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Has it come to this that sailors complain about a sailboat sailing and not using its motor?
Nope, but it has come to the lack of common sense and courtesy shown by racers sailing through mooring fields, ESPECIALLY in areas like Coconut Grove/Dinner Key where there are local ordinances against it.

Having 50 racers cutting through a tightly packed mooring field is a recipe for disaster. There are channels that are set up for moving... use them. By disregarding this, it is not an example of how to make friends, but enemies. As I stated earlier, we did get the sheriff's patrol out one time and it was a pleasure to see some of those self righteous racers get a comeuppance and fine.

Have respect for your fellow sailors and follow the laws and regulations, and everyone will feel better.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would be curious to read the local ordinance against racing in the mooring field. Could you post a link or text? I imagine it does not prevent sailing in the field (as some perfectly proper sail boats do not have motors), only fleet racing?

In any case, in this thread that certainly does not apply. As has been mentioned above, sailing and racing in this area is celebrated in Annapolis rather than frowned on. The J boat in the OP's video was FULLY in the right. When the OP throttled up at the end of the video to overtake HE was probably breaking local speed/wake ordinances.
Old 19-10-2014, 15:54   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I would be curious to read the local ordinance against racing in the mooring field. Could you post a link or text? I imagine it does not prevent sailing in the field (as some perfectly proper sail boats do not have motors), only fleet racing?
As the race organizers had been contacted by the Harbormaster, the following from their rules and regulations were used:
3.2 Safe Operation of Vessels: Reckless operation of any vessel, including any recreational vessel, small craft, or dinghy, when in the judgment of the Harbormaster said operation is an endangerment to life, property, or other vessels, shall be grounds for immediate ejection from the Facility.
Dinner Key is a City of Miami facility, not private. I'm not sure if a private one would be able to call in an enforcement agency. There had been numerous complaints about the racing fleet cutting through the field, especially since channels were readily available.

http://www.miamigov.com/marinas/doc/Mooring_Rules.pdf

Quote:
In any case, in this thread that certainly does not apply. As has been mentioned above, sailing and racing in this area is celebrated in Annapolis rather than frowned on. The J boat in the OP's video was FULLY in the right. When the OP throttled up at the end of the video to overtake HE was probably breaking local speed/wake ordinances.
I agree with you with regards to the video. Two separate incidences, the only commonality was that racing sailboats were involved.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:03   #26

Boat: Comet 41s

Italian coast guard giving right of way to a very small sailboat on a port:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:08   #27

Rimus's Italian cousin.

Old 19-10-2014, 16:09   #28

Love it....
Even with correct sound signals !

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:14   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

What we have is a jerk sailor in the J boat needlessly impeding boats under power. He didn't need to extend his tack across the channel to block the sailboat coming out of the side channel. Sailing just under main, a tack was only a matter of moving the tiller to keep him from obstructing that boat. Just because you are sailing doesn't mean you have to be an A hole. It's idiots like this guy that give sailors a bad name.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:19   #30

Boat: PT-11

Thats a general ordinance regarding reckless operation. Says nothing about sailing in a mooring field. Leaves it up to the harbormaster, who for all I know may be a hard ass down there. In any event, it has nothing to do with the video posted. You sound like a Harley guy who hates Ducati riders, instead of viewing them as compatriots in a world of 4 wheelers.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring, sail, sailing