Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 19:42   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Coastguard - fake news "rescue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'll bet you wouldn't request a zarpe if it weren't compulsory. And I'll also bet that no port captain has ever initiated a search because his zarpe wasn't filed at the other end. It's not like these guys talk to each other in any places I've cruised.
Does a Zarpe require an ETA at the next port?

I know clearance documents in this part of the world don't.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 19:58   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Does a Zarpe require an ETA at the next port?

I know clearance documents in this part of the world don't.
Chilean zarpes ... both internal and when departing for foreign parts .. require ETA , route, crew list, fuel, lubes, water, how long your tucker will last......... you also have to tick the boxes to say what safety kit you have.. and they may inspect you... or at least your boat.

They are issued by the Armada..... when departing for foreign parts you also require an Aduana clearance... all they want is next port.

If going for a day sail I just need to give names and RUTs/ passport numbers to the marina staff.

When I was inbound from NZ 2 years ago we received an email via Sailmail requesting daily position reports.... we were well over a 1000 miles offshore at the time...... I assume they picked us up on AIS via satellite .... they would already have had our details...
Old 06-01-2018, 04:30   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The Coast Guard has to call it a rescue, even if it isn't. Otherwise he would have to have a commercial tow.

In the U.S., the Coast Guard, by (law or policy)? does not tow. They only act to save lives...
Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:35   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Probably not.... I don't in more temperate climes in foreign lands.....

But, yes.... they do keep tabs on you and know when you are due in their port.... and will get 'concerned' if you are late....

And you are supposed to check in twice a day on HF but get away with once a day by email.... all - and there are rather a lot - of the fishing boats check in twice a day by voice....
Ugh. The Nanny State. I hate that sort of rubbish.
What if, like myself, you don't have an HF radio?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:40   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastguard - fake news "rescue"

I would assume the same as Australia which requires notice 48hrs prior to arrival.. I just e-mailed them with an ETA for Oz waters from Vanuatu.. then the Air Patrol picked me up.. confirmed my identity using VHF and checked my progress daily.
This was going over the top to Darwin.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38   #51

Boat: 45ft Ketch

When we entered Oz we notified them before leaving NZ and that was it - no more communication until we came into port, (13 days 1st time 21days second time.) 2nd time they knew we were coming because our daughter knew we were a bit late and asked them to let her know when we called in.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16   #52

Quote:
In Chile you are only required to have VHF... then ( in the south ) you will be called up by any navy ship, manned lighthouse or Alcamar you pass and also by any passing merchant ship with a pilot embarked. So, unless you are holed up somewhere they will have tabs on you.

Then, when you have your propane explosion and fire, you will most likely starve to death or die of your wounds before anyone comes along and finds you. That was what happened to a French couple in 2005.... well they didn't die but it was 30 days of waiting... her with serious burns, him on his heart meds...

Only having VHF there was a lag between last time they had been reported and when it was decided that they were well overdue at the next port... 400 miles to the south.

Once a search was initiated an armada helicopter had them found and rescued within hours.

On the other hand, we were weatherbound in some very nasty stuff for a week once under the lee of some very high ground where it was impossible to get out on HF....
When we got back to sea there was a raft of emails enquiring after our welfare.... you play right with them, they play right with you... as one boat found out in November just gone. Went down the smartarse road ..... copped a big 'multa' and kicked out of the country.......

You see nanny state, I see something different... if you want nanny state go to Australia...
Old 06-01-2018, 12:12   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sailing conditions, weather, support systems, population density ashore and afloat... you might find that all of these are a bit different in the Chilean channels and Rhode Island. Sometimes a bit of nanny-ing is a good thing!

Jim
Old 06-01-2018, 19:36   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ben, I don't think there's any "nanny State" to it. What I think it is is that you are a visitor there, and they, possibly for security reasons, want to know where you are. Yes, they will provide humanitarian aid if need be, but they want to know you're where you're supposed to be, and not up to any mischief.

In the case of Chile, their internet and possibly cell phone coverage probably isn't what you're used to in Rhode Island. They need to do it by HF radio, if they're going to do it at all. It has its limitations, for sure, and one just accepts that.

Ann
Old 07-01-2018, 01:11   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Ben, I don't think there's any "nanny State" to it. What I think it is is that you are a visitor there, and they, possibly for security reasons, want to know where you are. Yes, they will provide humanitarian aid if need be, but they want to know you're where you're supposed to be, and not up to any mischief.

In the case of Chile, their internet and possibly cell phone coverage probably isn't what you're used to in Rhode Island. They need to do it by HF radio, if they're going to do it at all. It has its limitations, for sure, and one just accepts that.

Ann
Its a mixed bag... commercial shipping has to report daily... I think that is pretty much a global requirement... they have just extended that to small ships.... where they can.

Inshore its not just foreigners... local fishing boats as well... Armada spends a lot of time fishing dead fishermen out of the sea.... (note the HF ant in #1)

Down south it is a sensitive border... there are still minefields on the disputed islands and you can still see the gun emplacements above Puerto Toro (#2) and Puerto Williams ... the latter still complete with heavy artillery... (#3)

Long memories... The Chileans know that given the chance the Argentines will steal everything not nailed down......

Sorry about the thread drift...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	161747   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000761.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	161748  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020496.JPG.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	161749  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Sure they can do what they want with their country, but needing to keep tabs on everyone for "security reasons" starts to sound like the Soviet bloc. BTW, I've cruised plenty of places where there is no cell coverage and no one is listening to the VHF. I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that if there's an accident or explosion or whatever, I'll probably die slowly. All of the freedoms I cherish most come with big responsibility. But I'd rather have the danger of a slow death than spend my time being mother-henned by the nanny state.
I realize that some people are more comfortable being nurtured, cared for and bailed out by a communist Big Brother, but I'll take the dangers that come with freedom any day.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:10   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sailing conditions, weather, support systems, population density ashore and afloat... you might find that all of these are a bit different in the Chilean channels and Rhode Island. Sometimes a bit of nanny-ing is a good thing!

Jim
I can't speak to the Chilean channels, but I've cruised Newfoundland and the NE Gulf of St. Lawrence. It's a heads-up area, and it would have been annoying in the extreme to have to check in with Nanny.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:30   #58

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
As a Delivery Skipper, usually SOLO I use my adult Son as contact. I file a FLOAT PLAN with him, and spell out "the plan" and give him instructions as to when to be concerned, and when to report me OVERDUE.
I certainly do some deliveries single-handed but not out of range of VHF and cell not on a run more than 20 hours (so if something goes wrong I won't be up more than 36ish). A float plan for a short run like my max solo is hardly a float plan. Do you go far enough solo on a customer's boat for a float plan to really be relevant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The Coast Guard has to call it a rescue, even if it isn't. Otherwise he would have to have a commercial tow.
Having been on the wrong end of that tow cable the USCG in my experience will only tow if a commercial tower can't or won't respond.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:44   #59

Boat: Comet 41s

Another one on the med some days ago. Apparently nothing wrong with the boat and the meteo conditions were well previewed but....

The boat was abandoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yGYtco9mx7w

Naufragio in Sardegna : Naufragio al largo della Sardegna
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48   #60

Boat: Comet 41s

and some lucky sailors:

not all are lucky:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue