Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 08:37   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastguard - fake news "rescue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes there is a plague of bad delivery skippers. Here you have the opposed situation, guys that are taking risks with somebody's boat to earn some fast money and not lose time waiting for acceptable conditions to go out. Just some days ago in Italy:

https://www.facebook.com/maurizio.la...1089177609320/

This was the final result:

https://www.facebook.com/portoromano...0951762629125/
I've closed my Facebook account so cannot view the video's.. wonder if they're on YouTube..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58   #32

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Coastguard - fake news "rescue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've closed my Facebook account so cannot view the video's.. wonder if they're on YouTube..
Not a delivery skipper after all. He gave up the job due to the refuse of a professional boat survey that he asked for. The boat was leaving to Brazil.

One of the videos I cannot find out of facebook, the one that shows that the boat was utterly destroyed: mast down, hulls breached, the lot, a true wreck. They will have to pay for taking the boat out of there.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:59   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard1 View Post
Winds were reported at 18 knots and waves at 9 feet. Maybe conditions were worse when the call was made. Is 9 feet normal for 18 knots of wind in that part of the ocean?

Salvamento a 120km a sul de Sagres | Força Aérea Portuguesa
You have to remember there's always a swell.. even when it looks calm.. so a 2metre swell with wind generated waves on top would give you a 9ft sea.. + or -

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:05   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not a delivery skipper after all. He gave up the job due to the refuse of a professional boat survey that he asked for. The boat was leaving to Brazil.

One of the videos I cannot find out of facebook, the one that shows that the boat was utterly destroyed: mast down, hulls breached, the lot, a true wreck. They will have to pay for taking the boat out of there.
They were doing so many things wrong on that boat.. apart from the 1st and biggest mistake.. leaving..

Old 05-01-2018, 09:46   #35

Boat: Tartan30

I will say up front that I am very protective of the reputation of the United States Coast Guard.I am very grateful for the role they serve.
I see that the Poster is in NZ so I am not familiar with what goes on down there.
I will also admit to being a little overly sensitive to the term "fake news" due to the situation here in the U.S. but this is a sailing forum and I will try to leave politics out of it as much as possible.
The problem is,( and it IS parcially a political problem) is OrganiZations MUST justify their existence in order to get proper funding, hence the PR Press Releases.
As far as the difference between a TOW, (assistance) and a RESCUE (emergency assistance) is pretty vague.
On a nice day running out of fuel, requiring a tow is no big deal, and might be a little overplayed in a press release.
That same running out of fuel, that was NOT reported to CG, and the vessel drifted overnight which resulted in having to deal with a foul weather event, suddenly becomes a life and death event, requiring a RESCUE. To me they are both a rescue of sort. If nothing else it is a rescue from our own ignorance sometimes.
As far as the FLOAT PLAN issue.....Long term Cruisers DO need to train their Loved Ones on the issues, and develop their own methods for an I'm OK msg.
As a Delivery Skipper, usually SOLO I use my adult Son as contact. I file a FLOAT PLAN with him, and spell out "the plan" and give him instructions as to when to be concerned, and when to report me OVERDUE. I also explain when I will check in to report my progress. I do this because of being SOLO there are many ways I could be injured, not to mention equipment failures etc. I understand this my be overkill for a long term Cruising Sailor.
I feel that for the vast majority of Weekend Sailors, who may not have the extensive skills to deal with adverse conditions are very well advised to file a float plan, and for loved ones to contact the Coast Guard in the event of an overdue boat. The Coast Guard is very good at sorting out all these issues and dealing with overly sensitive loved ones.
This may not be the way of "The Old Salt" but it IS Mya Way, and the way I advise others. It is also the way of Pilots, and has proved itself over and over.
So take all the shots you want at Press Releases, and the motives of the various Rescue Agencies, but I hope we won't be discouraging the regular everyday boater from employing a very simple and often life saving action of filing a Float Plan. If nothing else that float plan may save huge amount of $$$$ for Rescue/Assistance Agencies simply by having some idea of where to start a Search Grid. I think keeping folks informed is simply good Seamanship, and good manners.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49   #36

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
That's why I never tell people where I'm going or when I expect to arrive. As if sailing could have a rigid schedule! I trained my family early on, and my wife's family (though that was harder), to just be grateful when we did check in, but not to expect if for months on end.
Nothing more embarrassing than having a rescue launched because you decided to detour elsewhere for a couple days.
So, you don't file a Float Plan with anyone?
Is that really wise?
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:51   #37

Boat: Nordic 44

The Coast Guard has to call it a rescue, even if it isn't. Otherwise he would have to have a commercial tow.

In the U.S. the Coast Guard, by (law or policy)? does not tow. They only act to save lives. This may seem strange to most non U.S. sailors. The commercial towing/vessel assistance business is a big deal here. Everyone needs to have towing insurance or the bill could be massive. Even with towing insurance a private towing company can claim salvage if the boat is in danger.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've closed my Facebook account.
Wise man

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...aa6061329d.jpg
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:46   #39

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The Coast Guard has to call it a rescue, even if it isn't. Otherwise he would have to have a commercial tow.

In the U.S. the Coast Guard, by (law or policy)? does not tow. They only act to save lives. This may seem strange to most non U.S. sailors. The commercial towing/vessel assistance business is a big deal here. Everyone needs to have towing insurance or the bill could be massive. Even with towing insurance a private towing company can claim salvage if the boat is in danger.
Then USCG shouldn’t have towed.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 14:31   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Is that really wise?
SV Cloud Duster
Dunno about "wise", but Ann and I have never filed a float plan with anyone.

Worked so far...

Jim
Old 05-01-2018, 14:35   #41

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

"1) Homemade boat
2) Sails in poor condition
3) No Communication equipment
4) No electronic navigation instruments
5) No head
6) No Engine
7) Solo mariner exhibiting signs of disorientation
8) Well off-course
9) Unable to reach initial destination
10) Unable to reach updated destination
11) Requested a tow."

This could be my digital signature on this forum.

Story of my life.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 14:46   #42

I think ultimately it should be clear that individuals operate within their abilities and comfort zone. If you're well experienced and capable and wise like Jim & Ann & Boatman61, you will sail many miles without incidents requiring coast guard/rescue services.

If you're not - and call the respective gov funded or volunteer services - suck it up and bite your tongue when they characterize it as a rescue. Otherwise don't call next time and figure it out yourself.
Old 05-01-2018, 16:20   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Given that a filing a 'float plan' is all same as requesting a zarpe yes I do.... no choice in the matter....

However if I think my ETA at final destination is sometime in June I always put down August.....
I'll bet you wouldn't request a zarpe if it weren't compulsory. And I'll also bet that no port captain has ever initiated a search because his zarpe wasn't filed at the other end. It's not like these guys talk to each other in any places I've cruised.
Old 05-01-2018, 16:22   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Is that really wise?
SV Cloud Duster
Since you ask...I find it perfectly wise. Float plans have no part in my cruising habits. (I'd actually never heard of one until I'd been cruising for 20 years!)
Old 05-01-2018, 17:19   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'll bet you wouldn't request a zarpe if it weren't compulsory. And I'll also bet that no port captain has ever initiated a search because his zarpe wasn't filed at the other end. It's not like these guys talk to each other in any places I've cruised.

Probably not.... I don't in more temperate climes in foreign lands.....

But, yes.... they do keep tabs on you and know when you are due in their port.... and will get 'concerned' if you are late....

And you are supposed to check in twice a day on HF but get away with once a day by email.... all - and there are rather a lot - of the fishing boats check in twice a day by voice....

Tags
rescue