Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47   #61

Re: Center Cockpit Sailboats and Blue Water Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Me too...DVC
Ad me to the halyards at the mast list!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Lines led to the cockpit usually mean green water over the deck ends up ... in the cockpit. Lots of extra friction just makes the choice worse.

Halyards belong at the mast.

YMMV.
I totally agree for all the above reasons plus the birds nest that ends up in the cockpit while the proverbial crap hits the fan.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Center Cockpit Sailboats and Blue Water Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Ditto...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 15:22   #64

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

I agree with KBUDD as I also have a full enclosure, Sunbrella Canvas top with Izan glass around, Visability, dry and secure. Standing watch is more comfortable and less stressful. In heavy rains I stay dry and the winds have little effect on the enclosure as a whole. At dockside it acts as another room in foul weather. Of course you can roll up the Izan glass for ventilation or remove it completly.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 07:23   #65
CFR

i have a CC similar to the older Amels but built in Aluminium. this year i installed a new harddoger and full canvas. the old dodger was made in wood and plexiglas, now in alumnium and tinted safety glass, really nice and a secure place. very important is the design because so many CC have a very high cockpit and look ugly together with a harddodger, actually i dont know why. i have only 3 steps from the salon to the CC and it is really deep and protected. as mentioned already have a look at the amel , very clever design
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 15:11   #66

Boat: S2 11.0

I am new to sailing but have been bitten badly by the bug. Considering buying a sailboat but waiting for the 'deal of the year'. I've come to think a CC is right for me because of the aft cabin/head although I have yet to sail and dock one (trying to find one to charter in the Chesapeake Bay area). Since I will probably doing a lot of single-handing or sailing with passengers who don't know a halyard from a sheet ("they're all just ropes" my daughter said) it seems having all lines come to the cockpit makes a lot of sense. I'm also thinking that a sloop rig would be best because of less rigging to deal with. I've been looking at (online) 37'-40' Irwins from the '80s. Anyone have any advice on those?
FruiVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 15:26   #67

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songlines View Post
My wife and I are in the process of selling it all and starting the cruising life. We have looked at hundreds of boats and always come back to center cockpit ketch rigged boats. Are there any concerns I should be aware of that are unique to a center cockbit boat (such as the design not performing well into the wind or too much freeboard that hurts performance)?

I know there is no perfect boat so we want to balance creature comfort with sailing performance. Any thoughs on the topic would be appreciated.

Steve
Having just launched a 42' CC yacht, the main disadvantage is how much jealousy is created when other skippers wives see the back bedroom. Seriously though they are a little bit closer to the spray from the bow. We have counted this with a fabulous hard dodger. The boat has only done a 10 hour trip from Lake Macquarie to the Sydney boat show and that was into 3 - 4 metre swell on the nose. Plenty of green water over the deck but all the sailors stayed dry and warm behind the dodger anyway. Most other disadvantages or advantages that you hear will relate to the particular boat not the centre cockpit design as a concept. I'm definately a fan of CC.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:38   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Me too

I just came across an article with a well-reasoned and rather thoughtful rationale for this, at Running rigging offshore - Ocean Navigator - May/June 2012

Apologies for cross posting this: I couldn't find this thread and posted a fresh one - If I hurry I might be in time to delete the other....
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Andrew, good find
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:50   #70

Andrew, thanks for a very good link. The only thing I might add to the gear would be a boom brake or 3 or 4 part preventer, so that the inevitable gybe (intentional or not) is much more gentle. I also consider a boom gallows as an essential piece of gear for an offshore cruiser. Another 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 20:02   #71

gjordan
Good point

I think anyone fitting a side-deck preventer (or even some boom brakes) should give careful consideration to how to protect the boom (and gooseneck) from the loads this arrangement can induce, at the same time as protecting the crews' heads.

I'm not a fan for having the whole system fail. It's always possible to provide a weak link which lets the boom come far enough inboard to relieve the strain of being aback (or the much worse case, of dipping in the water at speed) and unequivocally STOP THERE.

This implies (for a boom of more massive nature) a controlled deceleration.
This is usually easier to provide with a brake than with a tackle, but most brakes can make it hard to get the boom out square in light winds.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit