Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 10:35   #1

Captain Damaged Neighboring Boat- Who is Responsible?

I'm not sure if this is the right category to ask this question, but here goes:

I bought a 64' motoryacht, and hired a captain to bring it from Ft. Lauderdale to my marina in Miami. Right off the bat, the captain, while doing a 180 in the Lauderdale marina, swung the bow into a neighbor's boat, and did about $1500 of damage to the rub rail and stanchion.

The marina sent me a bill for the $1500, but I'm pissed- I don't think I should have to pay it. Who is financially responsible in this scenario? Me (the boat owner), or the hired captain?

Additional info: I can't file an insurance claim because my deductible is more than $1500, and the hired captain does not carry his own insurance.

Thanks for your opinions.
tomjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49   #2

Boat: Monk 36
Re: Captain damaged neighboring boat- who is responsible?

tomjack - I think you've just spent $1500. When I had my boat delivered, I made sure the captain had insurance. I think there is implicit responsibility when you hire a captain. It's like using an accountant- ultimately you're the end of the line, no matter how good your intentions.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:55   #3

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

He is a contractor if he has no insurance you cover it. Then you can maybe small claims him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:02   #4

Suck it up to experience. You have a 64 foot motor yacht. $1,500 should be chump change.

Seriously, with no insurance coverage, it's simple, pay up and move on.

Good, even better, luck in the future.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

As much as it hurts...I don't see how it's not the responsibility of the Boat Owner to pay for damages and then if you want/can go after the Captain to reimburse you. Look at it from the other guys point of view, your boat damaged his and he doesn't care if it was you, a hired captain or the tooth fairy at the helm. The owner is responsible for the actions of his boat/employee/contractor.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:15   #6

Here in the UK a delivery skipper asked me to sign a contract which would have made me his and his crew's legal employer for the duration of the trip.
Until I read the contract I'd assumed I was paying an independent contractor for his services.

As an employer I would have been responsible for anything and everything - damage, bar bills, their lives - despite not even being present myself.
The virtually unlimited liability that would have exposed me to was more than I (or my insurer) was prepared to accept and I made other arrangements.

I don't write blank cheques.

Maybe the possibility of being "named and shamed" might make your captain get his wallet out of his purse?
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:22   #7

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

What is it with Americans?
Always looking to sue someone.
Genuine mistakes can happen not to mention s#$t, so unless it was total recklessness on your Captain's behalf (in which case he should pay and maybe you should warn others not to hire him as well), she's your boat and you should insure her and everyone on board.
We carry insurance even for crew who join us on any given leg on top of 3rd party liability and full insurance for our boat.
Unfortunately there are deductibles and the higher they are, the more careful you should be (as if you shouldn't always).
I have delivered over 40 boats with zero claims or damages (touch wood) and no insurance (on my behalf). Always the boat's insurance.
Like said above, good and better luck next time.
All part of our learning curve and private schools cost.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
What is it with Americans?
Always looking to sue someone.
Ahhhh, stereotypes. How lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
... so unless it was total recklessness on your Captain's behalf (in which case he should pay...
So I guess in Sweden when you ask someone for compensation, they just give it to you whether they think they are at fault or not. That's awesome.

Bottom line if there is no contract between owner and captain which addresses liability issues, then it's the owner's legal responsibility.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45   #9

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If I let someone else drive my car and they cause an accident, it's my liability insurance that covers damages and/or injuries to the other car/driver. Certain behavior on the part of the driver (impairment, etc) can be a factor for which the driver may have to account, but the damages to the other party will be paid for out of your insurance - or, in this case, your pocket since the deductible is so high.

An owner of a large yacht such as yours would do well to bone up on these issues - important when you have such a large target motoring around.

Blanket characterizations regarding we ugly Americans do not help the discussion.
crazyoldboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:52   #10

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Chances are even if the Captain had insurance it's probably with a deductible as well so you're right back where you started unless you had a contract shifting liability to him.

I think he is an employee and therefore you are responsible for whatever damage he causes...similar to a trucking company with hired drivers.

Did you pay him in advance? If not you can let the courts sort it out but I suspect you will lose.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:56   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Captain damaged neighboring boat- who is responsible?

I don't carry insurance.. and owners are made aware of this.. and.. its also why I do not charge $350- $450/day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:59   #12

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
If I let someone else drive my car and they cause an accident, it's my liability insurance that covers damages and/or injuries to the other car/driver.
Really? I didn't know that. I've always assumed the driver of the vehicle is responsible. If I let someone borrow my car and they kill somebody with it, me and my insurance company are liable not the driver? I'm going to call my agent right now and confirm that.

Just got off the phone with AAA and was told the driver of the vehicle is liable but the owner is responsible if the driver doesn't have adequate insurance to cover the damage. Moral of the story is if you're going to loan your vehicle to someone make sure they have adequate coverage of their own.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:04   #13

Boat: other people's boats

Your fault. You hired him, he screwed up, that means you screwed up, you have to pay damages.
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:08   #14

I would think when you hired him you signed a contract that spells out exactly who is responsible. If not, you really should have.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Ive had this scenario.

• Its real simple.
  • Its the owners boat.
  • The boat caused the damage.
  • The owner pays for it.
  • It was not stolen,
  • it was being moved under direction of the owner, with owners permission and assumed liability.
  • The helmsman is owners agent.
You can fight with the Captain over the issue later. A waste of time but you can fight if you have the energy. He just has to point out to you the above.

It also means when you 'hire' a delivery skipper without being under their insurance cover, YOU are liable for loss of life and injury to any of them. Its your vessel. You are the 'employer' as owner of the vessel.

Make sure your insurance company know and have their agreement in writing. MAKE SURE!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain