Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 17:43   #1

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Canary Island to Caribbean - experience to share?

Taking a Saltram Saga 40 the end of this week weather permitting to Grenada from Canary Island. This will be sailing straight if possible. Besides the prudent seamanship and common sense, I would like to hear your input and any precautions before we head out.

TIA
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:51   #2

Re: Canary Island to Caribbean - experience to share?

Pretty easy sail actually. Are you racing with yourself or just cruising on down?The route is always based on the weather(winds) if they are on the light side it might make sense to turn west early and reach down south. If you have good strong winds then the standard go south til the butter melts and then turn right works quite well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

I've only done it once, and it was in November, not January and it was a pleasant sail indeed. If time permits, Mindelo in Cape Verde is a lovely place to stock up fresh fruit & veggies before the last leg to the Antilles.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Thanks Captains, it looks like I will enjoy the sail accordingly .

From Passageweather, we will have wind 25 to 30 kn behind us for a period of time, but most likely is 20 to 25 kn wind. I will worry about it when I get in Tennerife this week.

Stopping by Cape Verde is not in our plan, unless we have to. I hate to bring up the time table as a reason, but I will be prudent not make this type of mistake. Safety of the crews and boat is most important.

rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, enc, rib