Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 19:49   #16

Boat: Currently boatless
Try the "constrictor"
Old 03-10-2010, 21:16   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Two ideas that are variations on the above.

One is that there is a sturdier form of the rolling hitch called the Camel Hitch which uses 3 round turns and 2 half hitches instead of 2 & 1. It is useful with slippery line or loads that jerk or cycle a lot. By extension you could use 3&2 for a tautline hitch instead of 2&1. Generally this is what I use when I want a cinching loop

The other idea is the farmer's loop which is a lot like the truckers hitch but much easier to break apart after tension is released. This knot can be found in Brion Toss's 'Rigger's Apprentice'. My mediocre description would be to take 3 turns of line around your off hand (whichever hand is not dominant). Take the center turn and pull it over one of the adjacent turns. Repeat with the new center turn going the opposite direction. Repeat going the original direction. Pull the new center turn thru to become a loop. Think of it like braiding and the 4th cycle becomes the loop. Brion's illustration is much better than my description. I believe the Butterfly Knot results in the same know but is more difficult to tie.

Luck
Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I believe the Butterfly Knot results in the same know but is more difficult to tie.
Butterfly knot is very easy to make. Use a simpler method and you can make it in less than 1 second with practice. See method #2:

Single-Loop Knots
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
One is that there is a sturdier form of the rolling hitch called the Camel Hitch which uses 3 round turns and 2 half hitches instead of 2 & 1. It is useful with slippery line or loads that jerk or cycle a lot. By extension you could use 3&2 for a tautline hitch instead of 2&1. Generally this is what I use when I want a cinching loop
The taughtline hitch lacks the tuck so it has a somewhat different structure from the rolling hitch.

I usually put three round turns at the bottom of it when friction is needed. You can put as many half hitches at the top as you feel like. I didn't know that this makes it a "camel hitch", but whatever.

Remember the basic taughtline hitch is just a clove hitch with an extra round turn at the bottom (or two).

The rolling hitch is just a taughtline hitch with one of the round turns at the bottom tucked inside the other.

All these knots are close relatives.

I've noticed that in the U.S. many sailors tie their rolling hitches like taughtline hitches.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:53   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
It is easy to combine the trucker with prusik - this in cases when you need both the purchase and the ability to adjust quickly.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot