Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2005, 11:25   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Bluewater C&C 33 - Opinions ?

Looking for opinions on whether or not one thinks that a C&C 33 is capable of handling big oceans. The C&C has a fin keel drawing 5.5' with a free standing spade rudder. Should making a transatlantic passage even be considered?
Thanks for any advice and/or opinion.
Rob
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 14:18   #2

Sure, go for it, with the usual caveats about everything being in good order etc. C&Cs generally were well built boats, going by the ones I've sailed on. I'd want to check chainplates, rigging, keelbolts, rudderpost etc very carefully; you'll probably have to do some work down below to stormproof the boat. I did a 2 handed transatlantic on a 33 foot cruiser-racer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I aim to do it again in my 34-footer 2 years from now.
People have crossed oceans in far more unsuitable boats than a 33ft C&C.
You should check out the owner's assocation and talk to some of the guys there.
kiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 20:56   #3

Boat: OPB
Just reading in the Feb Cruising World that Herb McCormick (editor) lived aboard & cruised a C&C 33 - I'll bet if you e-mailed him he'd give you his impressions -
Old 27-01-2006, 04:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
C&C built several 33 footers (Mk1, Mk2 and 3/4 tonner) but all were intended as racer cruisers with an emphasis on racer more than cruiser. These boats make good coastal cruisers especially in areas with predominantly light to moderate winds. I have sailed on (mk1 and mk2) and raced against these boats for years, and they are not good heavy air boats by any stretch of the imagination. They also have a rig proportion that requires very large overlapping headsails in normal (less than 15 or so knot winds). This makes for a boat that is not very easy to handle shorthanded and which is not very adaptable (without a large racing crew) to a rapidly increasing windspeed and deteriorating seastate.

In a practical sense these boats have a very small carrying capacity and tiny fuel tanks. The MK1's mostly have Atomic 4's and the MK 2's had a mix of diesels but most had a Yanmar 2GM which is too small an engine for heavy conditions.

Lastly, the rig design is such that they require a very large sail inventory to handle the variable kinds of wind range expected offshore. This is expensive to buy, maintain and take up a huge volume down below.

Jef
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 11:38   #5

Jeff H, you always have something sensible to add to a thread. I would not consider a C&C 33 for extended blue water cruising where there is a need to carry a big payload. But sensibly equipped and sailed there is is no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to do a transatlantic in one.
I too have a 70s racer-cruiser (Norlin 34) with the tall rig option (I=49') and the small main/big headsail typical of IOR boats of the period. I carry a 135% furling genoa, a 105% blade jib, a storm jib, and a gennaker. The main has a third deep reef in lieu of a trysail. These extra sails do not take up a lot of room. The Norlin has proven itself to be a superb heavy air boat although she can be a handful downwind in a blow, if you get too ambitious re amount of sail carried.
We sail and race her two-handed so tend towards cowardice in those conditions.
Alas, I too have a Yanmar 2GM, and concur wholeheartedly that it is too small to be much use offshore except in a flat calm. Lucky then to have a boat that goes well in light airs!
kiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c

« Weather | Why a P35 »