Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 17:31   #1

Best Reading?

I am a newby and would love some reading on basic techniques and knowledge on sailing. What recommendations for a good intro into sailing? I would also like to learn more about different hull types, manufacturers, and advantages and disadvantages of the various configurations. Wood versus, fiberglass and steel etc.

Thanks in advance
Skagway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 17:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Best Reading?

A lot of those topics have been discussed on here. Get familiar with the search function, and there is a wealth of material available to you from a lot of sailors with expertise in various areas.

The 'Sailing for Dummies" is as good a starter book as any. Most on here will tell you to stay away from wood; fiberglass generally is accepted as the go to standard.
Old 14-10-2012, 17:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Welcome aboard Scagway.

avb3 gives good advice about doing a search - the google search on the menu or in my signature link is best.

I always recommend Keep it Simple Sailing (KISS)

As far as hul materials there are also lot's of debates around here on that. Generally it's best to ask two "different" questions in two different threads so the topics don't get too confused.

Feel free to start a "What hull material is best?" thread. Then stand back and watch the fur fly - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 07:29   #4

Thanks Gents, Good point about keeping the post pointed to one question. I had seen advertised the Annapolis seamanship guide 3 rd Ed. Is that a good resource?
Old 16-10-2012, 05:29   #5

I still swear by Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship book: http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloti.../dp/158816232X It's big (928 pages), but it covers pretty much anything you might need or want to know. It has operating under sail, power, sections on weather, regulations, etc.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 06:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Reading?

Read everything by Bernard Mottesier....
and watch Captain Ron....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 07:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I still swear by Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship book: Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 65th Edition: Elbert S. Maloney: 9781588162328: Amazon.com: Books It's big (928 pages), but it covers pretty much anything you might need or want to know. It has operating under sail, power, sections on weather, regulations, etc.
I agree Chapman's is a good book to start with to read and have on board as well.
Old 16-10-2012, 13:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha
I still swear by Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship book: http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloti.../dp/158816232X It's big (928 pages), but it covers pretty much anything you might need or want to know. It has operating under sail, power, sections on weather, regulations, etc.
Thanks, Ill add Chapman to my recently started library on all things sailing.

Boatman61- ditto a on the Capt. Ron......." I said Guu- rillas not Gorillas BIG difference!
Old 16-10-2012, 14:18   #9

Chapman now has a 66th edition. FYI.
jahillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 18:09   #10

There are a lot of "how To's" out there, Nigel Calder's maintenace manual is priceless. However, it depends on what you need the reading for. For example, it was actually FICTION that lured me to sailing in the first place...all 20 of Patrick O'Brian series on the Britich Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, Jack London, and a non fiction classic "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum, and Boatman61 was correct ALL of Motissier. Tritan Jones...the list goes on. These works inspired a passion in me for the sea and all things sailing. Some of the knowledge is useless, not many cannonade battles at sea anymore....but dammit if there were..I would be up on it. So tighten the boom vang on a close haul to get that smidge of extra speed out of your vessel, maintain the windward advantage and ROLL OUT THE CHASE GUNS! oh...and fiber versus wood?!? as if! there is nothing Romantic about fiberglass! ---no offense to my glass brothers of the sea out there..
Alm0d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:15   #11

Regarding inspirational reading I recently read "Ten Years Behind The Mast". This was written by a local author who did a circum-navigation over a ten year period. It was an interesting read but not as well written as some. I read Dove as a youngster. Ive seen that referred to since I joined this forum. I have had the fortune of having been on the big water in the Navy, and miss hearing the call to shift Colors as we got underway.