Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 20:11   #1

Best live aboard for a family in the Caribbean

This has probably been covered and is not intended to spark a monohull / catamaran debate.

My wife and our 1 year old daughter will be moving to the Caribbean for a 2 year assignment. I thought if were going to be down there might as well do it right and live the dream. On a boat!

What do you think is the best vessel for a family of 3 expecting that we will have many guests and that we'll for the first 6 months have a qualified captain with us.

We prefer to be on the hook and out of marinas as much as possible, but there will be times (weeks) when it's a necessity.

Generally our cruising grounds will be Dominican to Trinidad.

Ideally we'd like to spend less then 500k on the boat.

Have seen a few used Lagoon 50's that looked like they could fit the bill. We also looked at an older Hatteras MY and it was extremely roomy.
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 20:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Best live aboard for a family in the Caribbean

make sure you have 2 good ribs with engines. if working and living on anchor, logistics can be a nightmare
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 22:07   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

There are soooo many choices, just like houses. Here's my advice.
1- Make a list of must-haves.
2- Spend 1/2 what you can afford, you'll need the rest later.
3- Buy the nicest, most well equipped example for more money than the so-so boat. Get the one that was owned by an aircraft inspector who loved to have all the latest gadgets and all the safety equipment. I didn't. I should have.
4- Make sure that you love her enough to forgive her. You'll need to after she wakes you up in the middle of the night screaming that she's dying.
Old 20-09-2012, 23:53   #4

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Sounds a lot like the original screenplay for G.I.

I would think the captain on this half a million dollar yacht would get rather stagnate tied to a mooring ball playing with a small baby all day long.

Hire a captain? On a 500k yacht on the hook away from the security of a private marina, well to also purchase a security staff to protect mother and child. On the hook? Better get a tanker standing by to refuel her from time to time.

Lots of guests? Is momma going to do all the cooking and serving on a 500k yacht? Look into a professional baker, cooks, servers, laundry staff, maids and a couple of bartenders. Naturally with a staff that large, they could sleep on the diesel barge, or maybe look into a 850k boat to make everyone comfortable. Two years is a long time to be entertaining. You could also look into your own travel agent on board to make all the arrangements as you will be mooring out a ways.

You could hire Neal Diamond to entertain the guests.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:15   #5

I have been searching for 6 months and recently bought
my liveaboard (a 45' monohull) in the same price range.. i started with the cat vs monohull decision after owning my training wheels boat (a 34' Beneteau for the past two years).. the cat will definitely give you more room for a toddler on a $ for $ basis.. and sailing the Caribbean waters is very conducive for a cat.. my buddy just bought a lagoon 450 and it will be like traveling with your apartment..

And not very sailor like Gary.. why so disgruntled?
Mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, family