Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 09:24   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Beaching a Dinghy

My wife and I are on our way to Mexico and have never "beached" a dingy. We've sail in the Pacific Northwest for the past two years and have rarely run into any beach(lots of rock) to practice on.
We both know that there is a way to do it but none of our "cruising" books say anything about it.
What is the easiest way to "beach" a dingy in surf without flipping it and getting soaked.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 09:35   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Timing is everything. Wait and ride a wave in. Not on top of the wave but just behind it. Good timing and lifting the outboard quickly. These are the two factors. Usually two in the dink, bow person jumps out and hauls like hell, person on the outboard lifts the engine at the last second possible and then jumps out to help haul the dink up the beach. Do this quickly before the next wave swamps you. Important, don't let her broach. Also important, pick a spot without rocks or bits of coral.
Old 22-09-2009, 09:38   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
first, hang out for enough away from the break to be able to discern the wave sets. In other words, how many swells go through before a lull? Seven? Once you've established this, time your approach to ride the back side of the final wave in the set. In other words, let it break in front of you, and then ride in behind it. Have the outboard unclipped, and all passengers ready to jump. By all means have the kill switch around your wrist. Then, I like to run my dink right up to the sand, letting it stop itself.
Old 22-09-2009, 10:25   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I've had more problem getting off the beach than getting onto it.

Getting off was much wetter.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:28   #5

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Getting off the beach.

Let me amend my first question then by adding "what is the best way to get off the beach" as well as getting into the beach.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:32   #6

Boat: Boatless
We have a heavy engine and getting the dinghy above the wave line and up to a tree to lock it to requires wheels.
Davis Dinghy wheels , 16" inflatable tires

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some instructional videos.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 11:26   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Vasco is korrekt.

Look out for a series of smaller waves. Then ride so that you touch around the moment the wave licks the highest point on the beach. Never ever try to land with the wave chasing you and the dink asurfin' - you broach, the dink trips, you end up badly bruised and wet.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 12:43   #9

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
We have a 10' dinghy with a 15hp outboard.... we found that dinghy wheels greatly simplified beach landings.

Our first landing was a disaster. No real damage except a bent oar and a really bruised ego. At San Simeon Bay (on our way down from the PNW to Mexico), I hadn't installed the dinghy wheels, and didn't time the waves like the other posters stated. After all, the surf didn't look too bad from the 'other side'. I knew to ride the back side of a wave in, but found that I couldn't tilt up the motor, deploy the oars, and start rowing before the next one hit. Which turned the dinghy sideways. In an attempt to get the bow towards the incoming surf, I jumped out and started to swing the dinghy. Lesson #2: don't let the dinghy get between you and the surf. After the dinghy rolled on top of me, I finally got it all sorted out. Much to the amusement of those on the beach watching. You can find more about our misfortune here: Untitled Page

So, for me.... install and deploy the landing wheels outside the surf line. Time the waves and ride the backside in. With the wheels deployed, the prop is always protected from the bottom (unless we hit a rock, I guess). When the dinghy wheels hit, jump out and pull the dinghy ashore.

Getting off the beach, without wheels- I would wade out and start rowing, trying to pick up speed just as a wave broke, and try to get past the surf line before another one broke. Timing is everything. With the wheels deployed, I'd just wade out until the wheels lifted off the bottom, start the motor and (once again) time my departure so as not to go through a breaking wave. Most of the time, I'd have to row out a bit.

Another lesson I learned (not that I did this or anything ) is to not 'power up' too much until past the surf. Not that you could go vertical or anything like that.

You'll have opportunities for practice on the way down. Watch for where the pangas land, it's often the safest spot.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up in the Sea this season. Our plans are to head towards Z-town for sailfest and then (most likely) head to the South Pacific from there.

Our travels from the Straits of Juan de Fuca up into the Sea of Cortez are on our website....
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 12:58   #10

with surf it can be dangerous. As mentioned, time the waves so the dink goes up with the high water. DO NOT try to exit the dink until it has stopped.... if you do the dink raises up in the water and may broach. Let it land while raising the engine and then step out when the surf recedes. yea, the PNW is a much different scenario!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 13:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Some instructional videos.
Great videos

The last one though... Why?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 02:43   #12

Boat: Swan 56
Go for a multihull inflatable dingy (Zapcat, mini-me, Hammerhead etc).

self draining and designed for white water
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 07:43   #13

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Great videos

The last one though... Why?

I wondered too...the 'info' section on the video at youtube reads as follows:

Quote:
M.V. SWAN is on a demolition trip. The voyage ends at Gidani Beach, Balochistan, Pakistan. M/V SWAN is 1977 built Bulk Carrier bought by Pakistani Business Man for Demolition. Gidani had been one of the biggest Ship Breakers Facikity in Pakistan
Interesting way to start a demolition.

The other two videos were quite instructional though.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 08:02   #14

Ah yes, I didn't think to look on youtube. Doh! Thanks for the info
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 08:16   #15

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Mestrezat I always remember the beach conversation with a bunch of other cruisers at Los Frailes where we came to the conclusion that any dinghy landing in surf that ended up with your wife still speaking to you was a tidy piece of seamanship.

Dinghys vary and so will some of your approach to landing. It's kind of like docking your boat, teamwork and timing will pretty soon make it a non-event unless it's really stinky and then think twice before going in for the laundry.

The worst is having three in the dink, and the two forward hop out perfectly in unison and then stop to congratulate themselves still holding the boat while a wave smacks the back of the transom and soaks the poor skipper who only brought one shirt.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote