Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 09:07   #16

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Tareua- Aah, Los Frailles..... quiet beach and young manta rays doing somersaults in the cove .

You're so right about a successful landing when the spouse is still speaking to you... assuming also that we didn't submerge the engine.

It wasn't until Turtle Bay that my wife would even consider going ashore with me in any type of surf/surge. On the way down, we had our dog, so daily landings were in order. Now, I realize that Turtle Bay is not a good example of surf landings... more like 'weenie waves', but a good time to explain the process and build up confidence in how to do a landing. As we got closer to shore, lowered the dinghy wheels, timed the swells (such as they were), and rode the backside in to the beach.

Then it happened. I jumped off the side (in an attempt to be polite and get the boat on the beach), lost my balance and fell over backwards into the water. Our dog leaped off the bow, but got the bow line caught in his feet and fell sideways into the water, thrashing about until he got clear of the line. At this point, my wife lost it... with both of us soaked and egos bruised. All she could think of was the 'Larry the Cable Guy' line: 'I don't care who you are, that's funny.'.

To add to the embarassment, an elderly gentleman sitting in his truck, who had witnessed the event... called us over, and tried (in Spanish) to explain to us how to land the dinghy. I indicated that I KNEW how to land the dinghy, but had merely lost my balance. He then pointed to his watch, wanting to know what time tomorrow we would be coming back ashore. So he could bring his family to watch. So much for good impressions.
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 09:25   #17

Similar experience, my father in law jumped out the side instead of staying put and dislocated his thumb. Took us most of the rest of the day to get him some help.... never hurry and let it come to rest first.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 09:43   #18

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Sometimes its those landings at places like Turtle Bay where it hasn't been that bad, but the wind has built the waves up more than you were expecting and...

I remember sitting, wet, on log on the beach after a bit of a rough one, having one of the those tense little post mortems on who did what and why with the Admiral when a father and son came in on there dinghy, got it timed all wrong and stood their inflatable briefly on its nose. Dad flew out, and his probably six year old son did a flip in the air before landing in the water. No one got hurt though the poor kid was pretty hysterical for about 15 minutes. He made this heartbreaking hooting sound. My wife and I still look at each when something goes wrong and say 'hoot'. It made us immeadiately feel better about our landing.

Looking forward to playing on the beach, get all upside down, and end up suddenly all wet and cold: sounds like a fair metaphor for sailing in general. Boy do I miss Mexico.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:07   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Many good suggestions. One more: Attach the safety strap from your wrist to the kill switch. Don't ask!
John A
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:19   #20

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
A couple of more comments. Yes, secure the engine kill lanyard to yourself as John pointed out. I now always place my wallet in a zip-lock bag (if going into town). Everything in the dinghy is secured and ready to be swamped (or worse). Loose items in zip-lock bags and in a backpack, which is also secured to the dinghy. Laptop computer (if going to an internet cafe) also double zip-lock bagged and in backpack. Sandles secured. And eyeglasses secured.

Our dinghy has a underseat storage compartment which works well. We just make sure we secure it so it can't open up if inverted.

Did I miss anything??
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailabel View Post
Then it happened. I jumped off the side (in an attempt to be polite and get the boat on the beach), lost my balance and fell over backwards into the water. Our dog leaped off the bow, but got the bow line caught in his feet and fell sideways into the water, thrashing about until he got clear of the line. At this point, my wife lost it... with both of us soaked and egos bruised. All she could think of was the 'Larry the Cable Guy' line: 'I don't care who you are, that's funny.'.

To add to the embarassment, an elderly gentleman sitting in his truck, who had witnessed the event... called us over, and tried (in Spanish) to explain to us how to land the dinghy. I indicated that I KNEW how to land the dinghy, but had merely lost my balance. He then pointed to his watch, wanting to know what time tomorrow we would be coming back ashore. So he could bring his family to watch. So much for good impressions.
That had me laughing

Ahem, sorry, shouldn't laugh - especially as my time will come, no doubt
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 14:18   #22
DtM

Don't try to be the gentleman and save the Admiral from wet feet.

I tried and wet feet were no longer an issue. We were soaked in the nose dive, 6 months of physio to remedy the Admiral's damaged knee and the motor needed serious attention.

My Admiral was great about but I still feel bad.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote