Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 11:44   #46

Re: Are Logbooks necessary?

We didn't keep a log when we were sailing locally even if we were gone for a few weeks.

When we left to go cruising we did. We kept it like a diary. It is amazing what you can forget in just a few short years

What you decide to record is really up to you.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 13:37   #47

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43

You should keep the log. It can be a very important piece of evidence in any kind of legal procedures involving you, your boat, etc.
Sailboatuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 13:59   #48
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboatuser View Post
You should keep the log. It can be a very important piece of evidence in any kind of legal procedures involving you, your boat, etc.

Unless it could in anyway be read to imply you did not do something or did it incorrectly. Was something not recorded, even though it was done, implying it was not this time. It is discoverable. An off the cuff comment about sundowners? Something that needed fixed, but no matching entry that it was, or evidence that you operated out of compliance?

The thing about logs, including plant operating logs, is that they need to be absolutely perfect, scrubbed of any defects, or you are probably better off without it. They are often more helpful to the prosecution than to the defense.

For coastal cruisers, only if you have OCD.
  • Engine hours. No need to record them; fuel purchases are recorded on your credit card statement and the engine probably has an hour meter for totals.
  • Routine maintenance. Yup, oil changes and such are not a bad idea... but you probably do them every spring. Hose replacements. Sure. So a small note pad will do.
  • Some people like to track total expenses. Most are happier not knowing, lest they understand the $/day one the water calculation. Choose.
  • Service receipts. A one-gallon freezer bag will do nicely.
  • Hours run and stops. Only if you want to blog about it, which can be fun. But make it a blog, which is easier to share.
Before iPhones and the like, I kept a simple maintenance log, some times in a composition notebook, sometimes in a binder (useful for guides and notes before the internet). Along with paper manuals, just keep it all in a cheap gimme briefcase. Give it to the next owner.
Old 09-11-2021, 14:12   #49

I still go back from time to time and read our old logbooks. It's funny to read them because all I put in is technical information, (batteries at 13.1 volt, fuel 3/4 full, lat lons, weather, stuff like that) while my wife's entries are usually something like, "We had a lovely supper of fried snapper and squash. Use less salt next time."
Old 09-11-2021, 14:36   #50

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43

There are no specific requirements for pleasure vessels of less than 150 gt, although the RYA encourages all pleasure vessels, whatever their size, to maintain a detailed log book as a matter of good practice. All vessels that proceed to sea (including pleasure vessels) must have in place an adequate passage plan - the level of detail necessary will depend on the size of the vessel, its crew and the length of the voyage.
Sailboatuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 14:40   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This thread made me dig out some of my old log books dating back to the early 80's. It was wonderful reading. A trip down memory lane.

I wasn't the only one that entered anything into the log book. Whomever was on watch, could put their scribbles down, pertaining to anything they want.....didn't have to relate to weather, position, etc....just a thought for the hour.

I highly recommend you keep a log. It's not only a record of the journey of the boat, but also a record of the journey of your life.

When you are 90 years old, sitting in your rocking chair in a nursing home, reading them again, they can...and will....put a spring in your step.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 20:51   #52

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
This thread made me dig out some of my old log books dating back to the early 80's. It was wonderful reading. A trip down memory lane.

I wasn't the only one that entered anything into the log book. Whomever was on watch, could put their scribbles down, pertaining to anything they want.....didn't have to relate to weather, position, etc....just a thought for the hour.

I highly recommend you keep a log. It's not only a record of the journey of the boat, but also a record of the journey of your life.

When you are 90 years old, sitting in your rocking chair in a nursing home, reading them again, they can...and will....put a spring in your step.
Or when your loved one is gone and this is the only way to talk to them about sailing....
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 21:23   #53

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

F**k that. When I am ninety I intend to be out there on the foredeck takin' down the kite because my regular foredeck had to go the proctologist and missed the race.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:40   #54

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

In South Africa a logbook, a personal one at least, is legally required to upgrade to commercial captain's license and also when upgrading from a port-to-port license to a coast-to-coast captain's license.
In both instances the logbook must be signed off by another captain.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:49   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Wingssail, I dunno what you put in your morning coffee, but I want some of it
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:04   #56

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

This is a religious debate. For my part, I keep several log books. Separate maintenance logs for generator, engine, and boat(covers all other systems). This helps me stay on top of routine items and has helped with warranty issues in the past. I've moved to keeping a daily log on a word doc, which covers daily happenings as well as info anchorages, marinas, services used, and people we meet along the way. It's nice to look up that anchorage you used in the past and find out what sort of bottom was really there, if it was buggy/pleasant etc. Finally when we are offshore, we keep a nav log updated each hour with position, course, speed, baro etc. In the event all the electronics fail, we have a starting position for dead reckoning which is not more than one hour old. We live aboard and are actively cruising. If you are just sailing locally, and on the weekends, logs are probably a waste of time.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 14:52   #57

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
F**k that. When I am ninety I intend to be out there on the foredeck takin' down the kite because my regular foredeck had to go the proctologist and missed the race.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=images (1).jpg Views: 85 Size: 31.5 KB ID: 248207" style="margin: 2px" />

had been thinking just same myself, but you put it so much better than i would have !

cheers,
Old 12-11-2021, 16:33   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Aahhhh, Fred!

Good onya, mate, but a word of caution: I felt the same way back when I was in my early 70s. Now in my mid 80s and not so sure... things change. But a good attitude is where ya gotta start, and that you surely have!

Jim
Old 12-11-2021, 17:02   #59

Boat: DUFOUR 385 GL

Hi for me, the most important document or log in my boat is the maintenance logbook, I design one like the one I use in my commercial airline. I sign all issues I found in my boat, and any new item I add. Since my 98% of my sailing is solo, I don't log anything except when I travel longer than 3 days. I have enough with my flying logbook. There are sailors that want to log every day they sail, and with who. Not my case.
Cachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 19:07   #60

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

We keep two logs. One is a maintenance log that includes checklists for things such as winterizing it also has all significant maintenance.
The other has dates times people weather hourly lat/Lon marks made, ports and so on. It also functions as a diary. As in “I killed 5 flies in one blow with that cushion” and a memory aid. Man those flies. Ugh.
Anyways one is long term maintenance, the other is day by day story telling and navigational backup.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books