Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2021, 15:00   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Anchoring advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I find the biggest problems are the Sheila's..
Genuine Bruce's don't do drag..
These days there are no rules on who can and cannot do drag.

I do a couple of thousand nautical miles of coastal cruising a year and about ten years ago gave up on plough type anchors. They were great in soft mud bottoms but I would often have to drag them all over the anchorage to find a soft spot to get them to set and the curved blades would hold clumps of clay and stiff mud preventing them from resetting on wind shifts.

The boat I have now had a Delta which I put up with for a couple of years before replacing it with a Bruce. The Bruce sets pretty well as soon as it hits bottom in a wide range of bottom types without much scope however I think the Bruce type, although it sets and resets more reliably, drags sooner than the Delta did.

Reliable resetting becomes very important when one uses anchorages with strong tidal flows and wind against tide occurs.

I carried a monster galvanized steel Danforth, which I had modified to allow disassembly and storage in the bilge as a panic anchor, on my last boat but was obliged to deny myself it's reassuring presence on this one as there are no hatches large enough to allow it into the bilge. The stock on it was about four foot long and made from 4" x 1" flat bar. I'm thinking about building one from aluminium in three pieces for this boat.
Old 25-05-2021, 04:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Reliable resetting becomes very important when one uses anchorages with strong tidal flows and wind against tide occurs.
These are the kind of waters I sail my boats in.. bar my 4yrs in the Med..
Had a CQR which was pretty good till it dug in so well the shaft snapped after 3.5 days of the boat sailing about in 40kt winds.. not the anchors fault, the PO had drilled a hole in the shaft so he could pin it to the bow roller and that's where it snapped, had to switch to my secondary which was a Bruce which I've been a fan off ever since.
Being a delivery Skipper I do get to use a large variety of anchors like Rocna etc but none have inspired me to switch type for my personal use.. also I do use all chain, not a rope fan..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, anchor, anchoring