Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 22:25   #1

Advice for New Cat Owner in Carriacou

Just sailed our newly purchased catamaran from Martinique to Carriacou, arrived 7/16/22. Anyone in Tyrell Bay who wouldnít mind stepping me through a few (new to me) details of our boat in exchange for a beer or two? Like this B&G V50 VHF, AIS, Digicel Hotspot, and a few other things? Iíd truly appreciate any advice/help as weíre just starting out cruising and Iím struggling to learn a few things!
For example, the VHF is stuck on Distress and says ďinput locationĒ and an alarm goes off every 5min or so.
April Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 01:13   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Advice for New Cat Owner in Carriacou

Congrats on the new boat! I would start on each problem by getting the manual for the unit and see what you learn. The vhf manual can be found at https://softwaredownloads.navico.com...-10507-001.pdf

Input location sounds like the vhf doesnít have gps lock. Distress is a switch under a cover.

Iíd help but Iím a long ways away.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 15:22   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I think we got the VHF and AIS figured out now. A lot of button pushing, but the unit was connected to GPS and it was a matter of learning how to recognize the coordinates.
Thanks again!
Old 18-07-2022, 21:22   #4

ÖNext question:
The generator (Cummins) starts, but isnít sending water out with the exhaust. I checked the sea strainers, the first had some material in it so I cleaned it, the second one was clean. The generator starts and runs fine, but no water out the exhaust and it doesnít shut itself down (blink 7 times indicating no water) itíll just keep on running until I shut it off worried Iím going to overheat it. Any advice? Iím thinking maybe the impeller in the generator, but cannot find one at the local marine shop here. Trying to order one but while waiting for it to arrive,, thought Iíd ask.
Old 18-07-2022, 21:27   #5

Öalso the shower pump (grey water) keeps fluttering on for a slipt second. On/off, on/off every few minutes. I hit the breaker on the panel just to run it for 15-20 seconds and it seems to clear up for a minute or two,, then back to fluttering again.
Old 18-07-2022, 23:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Run View Post
Öalso the shower pump (grey water) keeps fluttering on for a slipt second. On/off, on/off every few minutes. I hit the breaker on the panel just to run it for 15-20 seconds and it seems to clear up for a minute or two,, then back to fluttering again.

Lots of shower pumps have an electronic sump sensor. Make sure it doesnít have soap scum on it. You can put a float switch in to replace it or get a new electronic one.
Old 18-07-2022, 23:56   #7

Quote:
ÖNext question:

The generator (Cummins) starts, but isnít sending water out with the exhaust. I checked the sea strainers, the first had some material in it so I cleaned it, the second one was clean. The generator starts and runs fine, but no water out the exhaust and it doesnít shut itself down (blink 7 times indicating no water) itíll just keep on running until I shut it off worried Iím going to overheat it. Any advice? Iím thinking maybe the impeller in the generator, but cannot find one at the local marine shop here. Trying to order one but while waiting for it to arrive,, thought Iíd ask.

First is the sea cock at the through hull open? Also some boats have a small 12v lift pump to help get the water to the generator if it is mounted high about the water line. Next remove the impeller, should be just four screws for the cover and then work it out to see if the blades are still attached. If it has been run dry perhaps not.
Old 22-07-2022, 02:56   #8

Thank you for your replies. Still working on both issues.

For the generator, the seacock is open and doesnít appear to be blocked and sea water is making its way to the generator inlet fine. I ordered a new impeller for the raw water pump in the generator and it just came in last night so will try to replace that today.

For the shower, it looks like the previous owner had a small grey water tank installed with a high outlet with float switch and a low outlet with float switch. The high float switch works; you can hear the click at the DC fuse box and the pump comes on. The issue seems to be that the water level in the small grey water tank keeps sitting right at a level where in calm water, the float switch isnít activated, but in choppy seas, the switch keeps getting activated, and the pump runs. This leads me to the lower outlet that is piped to another strainer and a second pump. This float switch is not working and the pump will not turn on (I will check this pump for power today). My guess is that it was facing the same issue of calm water/choppy seas as the tank was emptied to that lower level and ran all the time. Iím thinking it might be best to bipass the this float switch and wire an on/off pump switch just for the lower level drain. At the end of each shower toggle the switch to turn on the 2nd pump and clear a gallon or two from the tank so the higher float switch isnít activated constantly. The one pump at the higher outlet seems to handle the grey water quantity ok without backing up at the floor drain for the shower. Or, perhaps the solution is a float switch with a less sensitive (shorter arm perhaps) float for the lower drain?
Old 22-07-2022, 03:19   #9

Most likely is the impeller but could be a blockage in the heat exchanger or the exhaust. If the blades are missing from the impeller you will need to get them out of the heat exchanger or it will create a blockage in the future.
On the shower, havenít seen a sump with two switches. My sump uses Whale BE9003 Electric Field Sensor Switch, 12V or 24V, Suitable for Up to 20 Amps available on Amazon. Works well, just need to keep the soap scum from building up on it.
Old 22-07-2022, 04:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Do you have a cruisers VHF net there?

I have been there but can’t recall a net yet I think one exists.

There are a few locals who should know. Get to know the local resources. Great excuse for downing a brew or three at the local bar (near customs.)
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 04:12   #11

Thanks guys! I got both issues sorted. There was no sign of an impeller when I opened the pump to replace it. Got into the Heat Exchanger and found the old fins - removed them and flushed the exchanger. Reassembled and it and it is working well now. The shower grey water tank turns out to be more of a design issue, the drain outlet is just set a bit too high and leaves too much water in the tank. May just order a different tank at some point.
And thanks for the advice on Cruisers Net - sounds like there is one here, I’ll tune in this morning.
Old 25-07-2022, 08:07   #12

Quote:
Thanks guys! I got both issues sorted. There was no sign of an impeller when I opened the pump to replace it. Got into the Heat Exchanger and found the old fins - removed them and flushed the exchanger. Reassembled and it and it is working well now. The shower grey water tank turns out to be more of a design issue, the drain outlet is just set a bit too high and leaves too much water in the tank. May just order a different tank at some point.
And thanks for the advice on Cruisers Net - sounds like there is one here, Iíll tune in this morning.
Great news! Glad it is getting sorted out.

Tags
Advice