Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 11:37   #31

Re: Advice docking a boat with throttle mounted down low?

I had a friend help me and he built me a custom "starboard" mount raising the throttle control straight up so I can stand and control the throttle. We also relocated the bow thruster control to be right on top so I have finger tip control. This white material is a marine plastic that cuts like wood. There is also an internal frame made from aluminum that the starboard mounts to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511 (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	243678  
wkahn1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:01   #32

Boat: Contessa 32

Another bummer is to have a outboard motor mounted so low off the stern that one must reach down while steering and totally loosing site of where you are headed. This really gets interesting because you are not only steering blind but also changing engine speed and going from forward to reverse while reaching the multiple motor control levers.

I’ve learned that on windy days or when I’m returning after dark, to back into the slip

Very much a character building exercise.

I recently installed a manual control from the o/b to a convenient position in the cockpit. Life is good.��
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:23   #33

few more shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	243689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	243690  

Name:	IMG_3490.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	243691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	243692  

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	243693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4045.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	243694  

wkahn1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:34   #34

Now we know why folks can't drive stick shifts anymore.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:01   #35

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I just manoeuvre the shifter with one foot. Easy to get used to. My shifter lever is mounted so that forward gear is pointing straight forward. Neutral is 45 degrees forward and reverse is straight up. Makes it much easier, and also less risk of anything snagging.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hpeer:

No criticism meant, but if I may be so bold: "Backing and filling” is an evolution performed in square rigged ships, and refers to deft trimming of square sails in order either to go about or to wear in a confined space. Nothing to do with maneuvering under power.

TrentePieds
I have heard the technique called Back and Fill. ASA calls it a Standing Turn.

I just looked in Chapman's where the technique is sorta shown and discussed but not doing a 180 in a boat length or two. Chapman's does not name the technique which was a surprise. Figured Chapman's would be the tie breaker on the name or have a third name for the technique. Chapman's did neither.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:12   #37

Boat: Hanse 430e

Ive got a Hanse 430e and the throttle is below knee level. I primarily single hand the boat. I won't tell you what to do, but I will say that you will figure out how to manage the throttle and gear selection during docking. Don't listen to the schmuck who will tell you that this is dangerous and will kill you. You will get the hang of it. You will figure out how to best manage it. I single hand my boat. Run to the front to prep the anchor, steer the thing in rowed anchorages and run to the bow an by k many times. It's not hard, bit it takes smarts and ability to quickly get the the bow or cockpit. You can do it.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:25   #38

get a single handle throttle gear combo and use your foot
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:29   #39

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I have heard the technique called Back and Fill. ASA calls it a Standing Turn.
I used pivot turn to avoid picking between back-and-fill and pirouette, but I was originally taught it as back-and-fill. To me pirouette describes any such continuous turning.

Even though the sails aren't used, I think back-and-fill is still appropriate to the method, particularly when holding between fairway sides as in my earlier post.

Per Richard Henry Dana:

Quote:
Backing And Filling In A Tide-way Counter-brace your yards as in lying-to, and drift down broadside to the current. Fill away and shoot ahead, or throw all aback and force her astern, as occasion may require. When you approach the shore on either side, fill away till she gets sufficient headway, and put her in stays or wear her round.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 14:09   #40

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Why any designer put it there is a mystery but it's relatively simple to move it if you have room at the pedestal which is certainly simpler than the contortions necessary when docking.
In most cases with engine controls mounted on the side of a lazerette, the designer put it there because it was a tiller-steered design.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 14:22   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

It is a pain.
One mindset is that a perfect docking requires no throttle. Boat should be stopped with dock lines. Easier said than done. Think of docking under sail. Practice with no wind or current. I taught docking for quite a few years.
Otherwise learn to deal with it. No other option except moving controls.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 14:44   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For the guy in the Jenneau: put a set screw in that handle! Or, glue it on.

We have always had low starboard side aft throttle controls in our boats, which keeps the cockpit clear of obstructions. When it is most difficult for me, is when approaching a mooring, because just as we get close to it, it disappears. So, I'm standing on the side deck, approaching just fast enough to retain steerage way, and watching the mooring and its pennant like a hawk. Jim prefers to have me come to it centered on the buoy, which allows him to snag the pennant with the boat hook. He gives me a hand signal when he wants reverse, and I give it a stern burst in reverse, this means I have to climb down into the cockpit quickly. I have to do it by hand, because my foot is likely to over rev the engine, and I have more control using my hand. On the approach, I CAN and do use my foot to shift in and out of gear to calibrate the speed. The point is that unless you're my size and level of feebleness or worse, you can teach yourself to do it.....and leave the throttle lever where it belongs: out of the way.
Old 13-08-2021, 15:00   #43

My last two boats have had the low throttle position you describe. They are not difficult to use. Just plan ahead a little bit and go slowly. You will soon get comfortable with it.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 16:24   #44

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

I often use my foot. With a single lever control it's fairly simple.
If you feel you have to have 100% view all the time you are probably going too fast.
Docking is best done slow and steady whenever possible
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 17:39   #45

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
It is a pain.
One mindset is that a perfect docking requires no throttle. Boat should be stopped with dock lines. Easier said than done. Think of docking under sail. Practice with no wind or current. I taught docking for quite a few years.
Otherwise learn to deal with it. No other option except moving controls.

I personally hate the "lines should stop the boat" method. I see many sailors use it, and if they miss getting a spring line on, it's a full throttle reverse scramble trying not to hit anything. In my mind, when applying a spring line, the boat should be nearly stopped, then you can power against it after it's on. Less violent movement as a line goes tight, and much more margin for error.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, dock, Docking, rot