Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 17:08   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Accidental Jibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Hello everyone,
Wont call myself a novice, but certainly upcoming new sailor. I struggle with broad reach simply because I am concerned with an accidental jibe. For now my main sailing grounds is on a lake and there is a lot of wind changes. Any tips?
Cheers, J
Slight changes in direction or steering will not prevent jibes because the wind can change more than "slightly".

I prefer a rope preventer led from the end of the boom to the deck abeam the mast or a little forward from there, then back to the cockpit. Around a winch is better than to a cleat so it can be released in a controlled manner.

I have experienced a jibe while under auto pilot at midnight in wind above 26 knots (that was the last I saw before I got busy).

The main filled from the back and the preventer held and the boat was knocked down onto beam ends to the old windward side and HELD there.

I was holding the tiller trying to get the boat to jibe back but no dice, the boat was stationary and pinned. The preventer was cleated and I coldn't reach it anyhow. Only when Judy came on deck a bit bemused at my predicament did we release the preventer, allow the main to come across and the boat stood up and we carried on.

EXCEPT that the main was shredded and it took over an hour to get the rags off the rig.

So a preventer must be releasable in a controlled manner.

We don't carry a boom brake, don't like the falderal of it. On that night we paid the price.
Old 12-09-2020, 17:23   #17

I favor the Walder and the Scott brakes.

Never had an issue with Gybing when the boom swings in a controlled manner, a simple fix and an elegant change of broad reaching. No fuss, no muss.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 17:40   #18

Another view.

Old 12-09-2020, 18:08   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Why was the stbd tack gybe so much less controlled than the two port tacks? No 1&3 seemed really nicely controlled, but No. 2 was much faster. Is this the nature of how this brake gets tensioned?

I like the idea of a boom brake. I own one, but have never rigged it for use because of the need for additional hardward. I think it would result in a more cluttered side deck as well, which is the big reason I've not gone ahead with it. But I also haven't found a need since preventers work so well.

Ours are permanently rigged and just requires a snap shackle that are attached at mid-ships. I run a lead from the end-boom, to near the gooseneck. This is attached via snap shackle to the port or stbd preventers which are run from a block forward back to the cockpit.

They're easy to attach and switch and easy to control from the cockpit.
Old 12-09-2020, 18:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Why was the stbd tack gybe so much less controlled than the two port tacks? No 1&3 seemed really nicely controlled, but No. 2 was much faster. Is this the nature of how this brake gets tensioned? Yes the tension had been comparatively eased off.

I like the idea of a boom brake. I own one, but have never rigged it for use because of the need for additional hardward. I think it would result in a more cluttered side deck as well, which is the big reason I've not gone ahead with it. But I also haven't found a need since preventers work so well.

Ours are permanently rigged and just requires a snap shackle that are attached at mid-ships. I run a lead from the end-boom, to near the gooseneck. This is attached via snap shackle to the port or stbd preventers which are run from a block forward back to the cockpit.

They're easy to attach and switch and easy to control from the cockpit.
Rig your Walder® boombrake under the boom using a shackle, positioned approximately one-third of the way aft of the mast.
Secure one end of pre-stretched line to a port or starboard external chainplate, pad-eye, or at the toe rail.
Thread the line through the guide arms and around the grooves of the drum, 2 or 3 turns; a third turn is not always necessary.
On the other side of your boat lead the line through a block fixed at the external chainplate, pad-eye, or at the toe rail, at the same level as on the first side.
Run the line back to the cockpit and secure it to a winch or a tackle.
Old 12-09-2020, 18:59   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I favor the Walder and the Scott brakes.

Never had an issue with Gybing when the boom swings in a controlled manner, a simple fix and an elegant change of broad reaching. No fuss, no muss.
Montanan, I know I am wasting my breath here but I’d like to explain the logic behind why I’m not putting a boom brake on my boat. I don’t expect many folks, maybe none, to get this, but there is a reason:

It is too easy, and too many cruisers fall into the trap of adding devices to solve any and every problem. That’s fine if that is your focus. My focus and priority is on simplicity and efficiency of operation, both leading to ease of sailing the boat, sailing pleasure, sailing performance and speed, and I take responsibility myself for my safety.

I want my boat to be easy to sail and free from encumbrance. That boom brake requires extra lines to both sides of the boat. It requires a device hung from the boom. Some of them require a release line led aft to the cockpit. These lines are there all the time and not only do they reduce clearance under the boom which we need while tacking, but the lines constrain our movement forward and aft along the side deck. This inconvenience is there for us to deal with 24/7. Always. But the risk it mitigates is rare. I’ve had so few unplanned jibes in my life that I can’t remember any other one than the one I described above in this thread. So I would have to live with this device day in and day out forever just in case that one rare jibe occurs that my preventer doesn’t stop.

No, I’ll take the chance that my seamanship is good and I can handle the situation without the extra device and that is not just the boom brake: the list of labor saving devices or supposed safety devices is long and tedious. I say keep them ALL off my boat, and we’ll sail more and have more fun and we’ll do our best without the devices meant to save our asses but which really just complicate our lives.

So that’s my stance, and I know I am an outlier, but damit, that’s who I am and I’m OK with it.

BTW, we do jibes all the time, intentionally. Quite often without the preventer even being rigged. It is quite easy to have a controlled jibe, about the same as the jibes in your video, (Jibe #2, here: ) without the boom brake. It adds little.
Old 29-09-2020, 13:30   #22

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Montanan, I know I am wasting my breath here but I’d like to explain the logic behind why I’m not putting a boom brake on my boat. I don’t expect many folks, maybe none, to get this, but there is a reason:

It is too easy, and too many cruisers fall into the trap of adding devices to solve any and every problem. That’s fine if that is your focus. My focus and priority is on simplicity and efficiency of operation, both leading to ease of sailing the boat, sailing pleasure, sailing performance and speed, and I take responsibility myself for my safety.

I want my boat to be easy to sail and free from encumbrance. That boom brake requires extra lines to both sides of the boat. It requires a device hung from the boom. Some of them require a release line led aft to the cockpit. These lines are there all the time and not only do they reduce clearance under the boom which we need while tacking, but the lines constrain our movement forward and aft along the side deck. This inconvenience is there for us to deal with 24/7. Always. But the risk it mitigates is rare. I’ve had so few unplanned jibes in my life that I can’t remember any other one than the one I described above in this thread. So I would have to live with this device day in and day out forever just in case that one rare jibe occurs that my preventer doesn’t stop.

No, I’ll take the chance that my seamanship is good and I can handle the situation without the extra device and that is not just the boom brake: the list of labor saving devices or supposed safety devices is long and tedious. I say keep them ALL off my boat, and we’ll sail more and have more fun and we’ll do our best without the devices meant to save our asses but which really just complicate our lives.

So that’s my stance, and I know I am an outlier, but damit, that’s who I am and I’m OK with it.

BTW, we do jibes all the time, intentionally. Quite often without the preventer even being rigged. It is quite easy to have a controlled jibe, about the same as the jibes in your video, (Jibe #2, here: ) without the boom brake. It adds little.

"It is too easy, and too many cruisers fall into the trap of adding devices to solve any and every problem." I wholeheartedly agree with this observation. However, as a single hander, an accidental jibe that may damage the boat while I'm far away from help would be very, very bad.

I consider that high on the list of things I will accept another device on my boat for.

A boom brake allows the 1 in 100 chance of accidental jibe to occur without damaging things and doesn't put my boat on her ear while I'm down below doing something ridiculous like boiling water or napping without a lee cloth rigged. lol. A wind shift is simply something that may not be predicted, no matter how our levels of seamanship.

But yea, I appreciate your logic. I've also ripped out, tossed, and sold many things that overly complicate sailing. One thing that I got rid of that people lose their mind over is the propane solenoids for the stove and heater. If I can remember to turn off of the solenoids, I can remember to turn off the gas AT THE TANK. Which I do, every time. Because guess what, I don't trust the solenoids because I cannot directly see with my eyes or feel with my hands that "yes this is closed". I just don't trust them. Yes, I know my boat would fail inspection and I couldn't sell it without the 'noids, but I would reinstall them if that time comes.

I found out last year that my dad uses his gas grill and never turns the gas off at the cylinder. Even though it can't collect the same on a boat and is very, very low threat - i lose my mind over it.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 14:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I believe you don't fully understand how they are rigged or when they are rigged.

It is a simple matter to disconnect the boom brake line from the toe rails [and from the boom if one also desires] when one will be reaching or pointing to windward. The boom brake is only needed when one is running and there is a potential for gybing, either by a controlled planned gybe or an uncontrolled gybe. I gybe about as often as I tack and am very accomplished at controlling them with the main and traveller. They are not much of an inconvenience to step around on the infrequent times that I need to go forward when running. They do not need to be there 24/7, being only deployed when a gybe is possible. They are removed when at anchor or in a marina.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:32   #24

I rig a preventer with a timber hitch if I'm in a sea state and on a heading that could cause an accidental gybe. A dockline works. Doesn't have to be fancy.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:19   #25

Boat: Sabre 34II

Like you, I was also concerned with accidental gybe initially and wouldn’t sail deep broad reach or straight downwind however I overcame that fear by doing a lot of controlled gybes in various conditions and eventually became comfortable, I also watch the wind like a hawk and steer to maintain proper wind angle, if I don’t have room I would change trim and course.

One alert that I keep an eye on is boom rise - head up or trim in the main and duck if that happens, it’s usually the first sign a gybe is coming

I don’t have a preventer or boom brake.
Knotical is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, jib