Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: About to be slammed by IRMA Cat 5

"Zanshin" is on the hard at Nanny Cay as well and I'm not germane about her chances. I'm in Europe now but if the airports and infrastructure are functioning in the coming days I'll get a ticket and fly down - I'm assuming that at best the boats on the hard will tumble like dominoes and I'll lose the rig and I'm trying not to imagine the worst case.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:12   #17

Our boat at St Maarten Shipyards. Any news?
tartanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:21   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tough call. is hard to turn your back on your home/cruising platform.
strongest storm to ever hit atlantic basin?? fuggeddaboudid.... is just another cane. storm with rain and winds.
those who prep well will manage. hopefuly yours will be ok. same with the rest of you folks facing this.
when i was hit by patricia we were being told strongest cane on planet in history. wow. f us. we lived. despite our fears and our amazingly strong cane.
thank the gods it was small formation, unlike winston and haiyan and irma.
when it gets really shitty just remember it is only a few more hours.
i got so nervous when i could not see my boat thru the white out. and then came night. still no sight.. could not even see marina. i may as well have been in china for all the ability to see our home. then we heard about the ship......
and then we found all the loosened cleats in the marina. was damned close. megas pulled out the cleats so there was only oopsy when ye go to secure boat. was very close.
everything was a close call.
yes you will be scared. yes you will feel a run of emotions. this is only different from other canes because the media chose to hype it. yeah i know. it is strong.
SO ARE YOU.
even if you ran from this beast. that is good. you know your limits.
i hope everyone who is involved in this monster makes it thru ok.
ok also means there is damage but you will repair and cuss and swear but otherwise ok.
really ok means insurance pays off and you are repaired easily.
ok has many meanings. lets start with alive. that is a good base.
please check in after the beastie has departed. communications will be down for a few days to a couple of weeks.
aftercare--- find all living things.
list by name all living souls and search for missing. you donot need guidance--just pen and paper and eyeballs. is a start. who was there at start and who is there upon departure of beastie. there will be a discrepancy.
search for the discrepancy. make a triage.
when help arrives give them your information you learned and found. keep searching and cleaning.
best of luck to you folks. i hope you come thru unscathed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:29   #19

Good luck you all. It's a monster and there now.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:31   #20

Boat: Bristol 54.4 sloop

I have you all beat. My Bristol 54.4 is in the hard on Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda. I am sitting here in Virginia listening to the Weather Channel as they say that Virgin Gorda will be ground zero for the highest winds and storm damage.
Harkaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36   #21

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

Did I miss something here about pulling the mast? Too late now, as the yard is probably busy hauling boats. Sounds like you have a good cradle and the boat anchored, but for a direct hit of a killer like this one, Id pull out all the stops and take down the mast.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:50   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dropping mast vs leaving it up.
you do realize the biggest issues in canes is flying debris. as debris includes anything that flies~~ cars, fridges, toilets, cows, horses, donkeys, lightpoles, roofs, walls..... i consider the mast as debris. they fly. i choose to leave mast up boom down. i drop topping lift and lash booms to my hull. they donot fly that way. everything else will fly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:12   #23

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanblue View Post
I saw this clip online and it doesn't look good. Hopefully your boat wasn't here.
https://twitter.com/RCI_GP/status/905381154970329088
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Good luck to all in Irma's path, whether on the hard or in the water. With the latest 11am NHC forecast track, the eye will be passing directly over my boat in Fort Lauderdale. I'm doing everything I can to secure her, and have double checked my insurance. Not much more to do other than that, that and pray! I hope the storm track continues to shift to the east.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dropping mast vs leaving it up.
you do realize the biggest issues in canes is flying debris. as debris includes anything that flies~~ cars, fridges, toilets, cows, horses, donkeys, lightpoles, roofs, walls.....catamarans.
Made one addition to your list. I once spoke to a liveaboard couple who weathered a severe hurricane on Guam and they had witnessed a cruising catamaran flying overhead. They were in a heavy cruising sailboat in a marina and considered themselves lucky to have survived.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Good luck to all in Irma's path, whether on the hard or in the water. With the latest 11am NHC forecast track, the eye will be passing directly over my boat in Fort Lauderdale. I'm doing everything I can to secure her, and have double checked my insurance. Not much more to do other than that, that and pray! I hope the storm track continues to shift to the east.

-David
I currently have insurance through BoatUS and when I filled out the application they required that I state what my specific plan was in the event of a hurricane. Since, for the time being my boat is in Maine that was pretty easy. But for those of you with boats in areas where hurricanes are stronger and more prevalent, I wonder if you were asked for a hurricane plan in advance and what you told the insurance company and if your plan turned out to be realistic to execute in actual practice? After all, if everyone says their plan is to get hauled out, and the capacity of local boatyards doesn't allow for that, will the insurance company refuse to pay for damage citing your failure to follow your own plan that you put on your insurance application? I'm just curious about the motivation of the insurance companies to ask such a question in advance, whether it's just to get customers to think about it, or if it's to set you up for not getting paid for damages?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:41   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Will sure be interesting to see the after shots. Sounds like you're as well prepared as possible in that location.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:42   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I currently have insurance through BoatUS and when I filled out the application they required that I state what my specific plan was in the event of a hurricane. Since, for the time being my boat is in Maine that was pretty easy. But for those of you with boats in areas where hurricanes are stronger and more prevalent, I wonder if you were asked for a hurricane plan in advance and what you told the insurance company and if your plan turned out to be realistic to execute in actual practice? After all, if everyone says their plan is to get hauled out, and the capacity of local boatyards doesn't allow for that, will the insurance company refuse to pay for damage citing your failure to follow your own plan that you put on your insurance application? I'm just curious about the motivation of the insurance companies to ask such a question in advance, whether it's just to get customers to think about it, or if it's to set you up for not getting paid for damages?
I just renewed my insurance in early July, and yes, they did ask for a hurricane plan. I told them my plan was to leave the boat in the water, double up all dock lines, add additional dock lines, lots of chafing gear, strip all sails and other equipment from the deck, etc. Since my boat is already docked in a "hurricane hole" way up the New River in Fort Lauderdale, they were happy with that.

When I called my broker yesterday to double check my policy, he said that I should take all reasonable measures to ensure the safety of the boat, as if I were not insured. Since I'm doing that already, I think I'm good to go. I will be documenting all my efforts with still images and video, so that, in the event of a claim, I can prove I did everything I could to protect my boat.

I did get an email from GEICO yesterday saying that they would pay 50% of the cost of hauling and securing the boat out of the water. But based on where I'm at, my boat may be safer in the water. I'll let you know next week...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:50   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. Flying debris is a huge danger. There is so much light wood and corrugated iron around in the Caribbean. Easy to re-build but also prone to plenty of damage and to inflicting damage on the fly. Very bad.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanblue View Post
video of destruction,simpson bay betwwen marigot and cole bay

https://www.facebook.com/flash.meteo...5912565788270/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote